Star Lake Moose - How is she doing?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca M

Reaction score
Anybody have an update? If she's still there, how do you think she'll do this winter? I am hoping for the best!!!!!

I climbed Madison on Thursday the 1st and she was hangin around right at the hut. Looked fairly healthy in my non-expert eyes. She was gone when I returned from the summit.

Couldn't help but wonder if her moose friends think shes got a sweet hang-out or if she's a complete quack for staying up so high? :D

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/581913577CyMdoh

I heard she was there this past weekend.

Sure hope she isn't getting handouts?

I hope she isnt either but with less educated hikers flocking to that area all fall I am willing to bet the damage has been done and that may play a reason she is still up there. I dont think the average weekend warrior knows the danger of feeding wild animals, not just to humans but in this case the animal itself.

I hope she isnt either but with less educated hikers flocking to that area all fall I am willing to bet the damage has been done and that may play a reason she is still up there. I dont think the average weekend warrior knows the danger of feeding wild animals, not just to humans but in this case the animal itself.
What does a moose eat at 5000'? And especially when there is 6' of snow on the ground! :eek:

What does a moose eat at 5000'? And especially when there is 6' of snow on the ground! :eek:

There is plenty to browse on near Star Lake/Buttress Trail (upper) but yeah, that's my concern - what is she gonna do once winter sets in? Ive seen moose tracks basically right up to treeline on Valley Way in winter / she really doesn't have far to walk to get into the forest.

Nature is kind of ironic no, we all tiptoe through the Pressi's avoiding the fauna and this moose strolls up above treeline and proboly has eaten 100 lbs of Diapensia's not to mention what else.:eek:

Becca, glad you're thinking of Star :)

IMO....don't get mad anyone...IMO...

In general, we have an unrealistic view of our own understanding of nature. We tend to take the opinions of well-intended groups and people with college degree and badges and titles about such things as rock solid facts. Much of these opinions are just that. A person with a college degree in, say, moose biology, got that degree by reading what has been written, and doing a few studies that are often unconsciously guided by the preconceived notions they have already learned from what they have read.

Too much faith is placed in those with titles. They really don't know a fraction of what is going on in the minds of members of the forest world. Many would themselves agree. This is not to belittle our 'experts". They generally do tremendous work to protect wildlife and habitat, and for that they have my respect. But it is wrong for us to think that they know everything about, in this example, the thoughts of Star, the Star Lake moose.

Maybe she likes people! Are people so conditioned to think that humans only pollute the natural world that they cannot think of this? What if she actually likes hanging out at the hut with good-vibe people?

Last edited:
Maybe she doesn't like other moose. :eek:

An outcast from moosociety? Aversion to valleys?

The possibilities are endless! :D

I think sierra and forestgnome both may be on to the truth here. She probably thinks she scored the best stash of untouched grub for miles, and the attention ain't half bad either. ;)

Last edited:

When I was up there she was eating tree branches. You can see this if you skip to 5:16 of my video found here http://youtu.be/w-okzXAILUI
forestgnome

Too much faith is placed in those with titles. They really don't know a fraction of what is going on in the minds of members of the forest world. Many would themselves agree. This is not to belittle our 'experts". They generally do tremendous work to protect wildlife and habitat, and for that they have my respect. But it is wrong for us to think that they know everything about, in this example, the thoughts of Star, the Star Lake moose.

Maybe she likes people! Are people so conditioned to think that humans only pollute the natural world that they cannot think of this? What if she actually likes hanging out at the hut with good-vibe people?

I am not a moose expert, nor have I played one on televison:D IMHO the moose had a pretty good idea to venture up there in the summer, nice views a buffet of plants to consume and all these funny looking people in bright colored clothes giving him all sorts of looks. I hope it is smart enough to descend to more sheltered environment. Maybe natural instincts will kick in when it gets cold enough. I just don't wont to login one day to find out on here that somebody found Star resembling Jack Nicholson in the end of The Shinning.

FG- are you concerned about her potentially being at risk if she winters above treeline?

Hey Sabrina!!!

Concerned I am not....interested in her actions and thoughts I am...

Of corse, I'm rooting for her health, but I don't think she's in any danger. I'd bet she can leave whenever she wants. It's a cool mystery :)

It's probably quite a nice place to be for a moose. Before these zones had people on a regular basis, there may have been lots of moose hanging out. There's lots of wind to keep the bugs at bay.

Becca makes a good point about water once everything freezes. I wonder if that will cause her to move lower for the winter.

We also don't know if she's been walking down to lower elevations and returning.

where is she now ~

I heard from friends, who hiked the Osgood to Madison on Sunday, that Star
was back in the treeline on the upper Osgood Trail. They sent a couple of photo's, and she looks perfectly content.

In Alaska, Moose are at 6000' regularly. Tho that terrain may not be in the middle of three major storm tracks, it certainly has weather phenomena all it's own.

She could have possible "escaped" to the high country during the very hot period of this past summer, and found it so appealing that she's lingering in what she perceives as an oasis. Food availability will dictate where she chooses to wander. Hopefully she won't get into trouble in the steeper terrain, but will thread her way around it.

update

Keep the updates coming - I am optimistic she will do OK!!!

Also,

I just got a report that as of December 12 she was on the north (Valley Way) side of the hut and looking pretty healthy!!! YAY!!!! :)