Gale River Trail (Road) and Gale River Campground (Road) usage ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
I haven't been back up in there. What is the status/useage of the roads into Gale River Trail and past Gale River Campground and the reservoir ? They look pretty extensive. Are those all the old logging roads I can see on the maps ? Biking ? Cross Country ski ? Snowmobile ? Overgrown and blocked ? Good place to find a Christmas Tree (with permit) ? Thanks.

There are some XC ski trails there, I believe even the Garfield Ridge trail crosses one before it starts to really ascend in elevation.

I think Beaver Brook has some XC ski trails in and around there too. I've only stopped at the pullout to use the restroom there...

Jay

There are some XC ski trails there, I believe even the Garfield Ridge trail crosses one before it starts to really ascend in elevation.
That is the Heritage Trail which is actually a snowmobile trail. The current snowmobile route takes the Gale River Loop Road passing the trailheads because a bridge on the HT is out. The HT is skiable to the west up to the missing bridge and to the east for a distance (it eventually connects to Gale River Loop Rd). There are bridges ~100 yds on either side of the junction which allow hikers/skiers on the Garfield Tr to bushwack around the two stream crossings. See http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11956 for more detail.

I think Beaver Brook has some XC ski trails in and around there too. I've only stopped at the pullout to use the restroom there...
Beaver Brook is a summer picnic/winter XC ski area. Some hikers have taken to snowshoeing the ski trails to access the Garfield Ridge and/or Gale River Trs. (It doesn't really save much over walking the roads and was primarily useful when the bridges on the Gale River Loop Rd accessing the Garfield Trail were out.) See http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/recreation/winter_activities/skiing/BeaverBrook.php for more info on the ski trails.

Chip:
IIRC someone posted a trip report recently in which the poster was able to drive to the Gale River trailhead or the Garfield trailhead.

Doug

Last edited:
I haven't been back up in there. What is the status/useage of the roads into Gale River Trail and past Gale River Campground and the reservoir ? They look pretty extensive. Are those all the old logging roads I can see on the maps ? Biking ? Cross Country ski ? Snowmobile ? Overgrown and blocked ? Good place to find a Christmas Tree (with permit) ? Thanks.

The logging roads & snowmobile trails are in good shape, even drivable, if you could get a vehicle in there. I only followed the path to the reservoir for a short ways, but it was clear. Probably can't support much more than an ATV, though.

Logging goes to around 2400' on the north slope of Scarface.

They will probably close the soon, depending on what may be in season.