Brutus – In Memoriam, 2000-2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Rooney

Reaction score
Brutus, my beloved Newfoundland dog, passed away. He climbed peaks in VT, NH, ME, MA, NY, CO, CA, and was my constant companion.

In 2005, he completed a second round of the NH 4’s, this time in one winter – for more details see this link. Some of you have climbed Owls Head via the “Brutie Bushwhack”, so named because I needed an alternative to the slide route. WMUR in Manchester, NH., heard of our silliness, and did an interview which aired in March, 2005 - (hopefully I have the file permissions set correctly).

Many peaks he hiked multiple times, including Lafayette (27), Moosilauke (20), Washington (10), Camels Hump (11) and Telescope Peak in DV twice. He hiked with me to Trail Camp on Mt Whitney three times. He accompanied my wife and I on two cross-country road trips, and for reasons known only to him, was especially enamored with Chicago’s Lakeshore Drive and watching Yellowstone’s Old Faithful erupt.

Some of my favorite pictures of him were taken with my late wife, and are posted here:

Newfie’s are playful and mischievous by nature, and I’d like to share three stories of Brutus. One such instance occurred when several of us accompanied a friend as he finished his NH Winter 4’s on Wildcat. As we descended via Polecat, and sometimes ski trails, the fact that the trails were packed was not lost on him. On several occasions he “pretended” to fall, sliding down long distances on his side, much to our delight and skiers within eyeshot.

Another time we were finishing his all-season NH 4’s on Jefferson. It was mid-October, and an early snowstorm and cold-snap made the going slow and arduous. We’d tried a week earlier, but had to turn back due to an ice sheet on the Randolph Path, so was reluctant to turn back on this second attempt. We didn’t reach the summit until 4PM, and I was worried that I’d pushed him too hard. I gave him a few dog bones, let him rest for about 10 minutes, and headed back down. About 100 feet later he sneaked up behind me, and tried to trip me up, much like we used to do the each other on the playground as 3rd graders. So, I knew he was fine.

The third instance was on a hike in mid-October in Maine. Two friends wanted me to accompany them as they did Sugarloaf, Spaulding and Reddington and I’m always ready to hike Maine in October. As we descended the ski slope on Sugarloaf on a particularly beautiful, sunny afternoon thru the tall grass, Brutus came down the hill behind us. He liked to pretend that he “slipped” and couldn’t stop as he head butted you in the rear. It wasn’t a hard butt, and it didn’t happen very often so you never quite knew when he’d pull that stunt. Anyway, on this particular day he wasn’t paying attention, and he misjudged and ran into my friend instead. She was most startled, and burst into laughter, at which point Brutie realized his mistake and sat down, looking a bit chagrined.

I’ve been much blessed to have them in my life, and I shall miss them forever.

Brutus and Barbara at Medicine Bow.jpg

In Medicine Bow National Forest, Wyoming

Last edited:
My deepest condolences on your losses, Kevin. They will always be remembered well.

I'm so sorry, Kevin. I hiked with Al Dwyer this weekend and he shared your sad news with me. At times like these, the best I can do is try to put myself in your shoes and try to understand the depth of your loss, and your loss would most certainly overwhelm me.
Thank you for sharing these beautiful photos and your feelings.
If you ever make your way back home
To these mountains, I hope we can share some trail.
{{{{{hugs Kevin}}}}}

Kevin, I am so sorry for your loss, for both your late wife and Brutus. May both rest in eternal peace.

Another memorable pal so many of us know by reputation. I'm sorry he and I didn't get to meet face to face. So sorry this has been a year of losses for you, Kevin. Loving wishes your way.

Kevin, Take solace in knowing they are at peace and perhaps together again. Thanks so much for sharing a few of your many cherished memories and wonderful pictures! He is so handsome and you can see his fun-loving temperament in the photos!

Kevin, I'm very sorry to hear this news. He will be missed...Stu

My condolences at this time, I always loved looking at your avatar with Brutus wondering how much fun he must be.

So sorry for your loss. It sounds as if you gave Brutus a wonderfully active and eventful life, and he paid you back with loyal companionship.

Elizabeth and four-legged hiking partners Salty and Gracie

Very sorry for your loss, Kevin. I've gotten so used to seeing Brutus' photo in your always outstanding posts that he's gotten to feel like a member of this site. My thoughts are with you.

Wow! What a great dog. You are lucky to have had him. But being a loving owner you created your luck. Sorry to hear about your loss.

Steven always referred to Brutie as The Chick Magnet
but he actually was a magnet for canine lovers, two legged or four.
He most definitely was an Ambassador for Hiking Dogs!

As Kevin most lovingly relayed, that silly side of him was something to behold.
He loved to slide, upside down, in the snow, so the ski trails and large drifts on the hiking trails, brought out the goof-ball in him. Upon being let out of the Brutie Mobile at the start of a hike, he would slowly trot around the gathering group of participants and press his large nose on each to make the identification of just who was there. During breaks while on a hike, if there was someone present that he particularly liked, he would sit at (and sometimes on) their feet, and then tip his head back & give that wide grin. Kevin's account of their winter descent off Whiteface relays the trust & devotion they had for one another.

Kevin,

I'm so very sorry for your loss. May your many wonderful memories comfort you in this saddest of times. Even a stranger knows a good dog when she sees one, even from afar. I'm not sure people go to heaven, but I KNOW that the vast majority of dogs do. Brutie is there. Sending healing thoughts ~ Chris