Mt. Adams (ADKs), Questions & Opportunity

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mavs00

Reaction score
We (the gang and I) are hoping on getting up to the Eastern HP's area for a hike on Friday, November 26, 2004. Primary goal is to get my fat butt out and work off some turkey, and secondary goal is just to.......well, get out and HIKE. We're looking to do Mt. Adams and the firetower In the eastern HP's area.

Several questions before we go though.

1. I know where the start of the path to the summit is (we passed it heading to Allen), but does anyone know (roughly) how far of a hike it is from the path start, both in distance and elevation gain? Can't find that info anywhere.
  2. Anyone been to the Eastern HP region latley, what are the conditions in the low lying areas around there? I don't think there is much snow or ice below 3000'. Does that sound right?
  3. Clothing wise, we'll be decked out for winter, but I think we'll bare boot this one, as the kids do not have crampons or good snowshoes yet. That seems reasonable given the current conditions I've read (not much snow).
  4. Any alternate routes around the Lake Jimmy Bridge, that one was slick and nasty dry, I'd hate to cross it if it's icy?
  5. Anyone interested in joining us for some turkey sandwiches up in the firetower? Drop me a line (here or PM).

Once again, Thanks for any help you can give.

It is a significant climb oo the order of fifteen hundred feet anyway but not too steep anywhere. I know of no way around lake jimmy. If it is icy, why not bring instep crampons.

Mt. Adams

Mavs00,

We were very impressed with the trail and tower improvements to Mt. Adams as we hiked it this summer (7/13/04) as a training hike prior to a major Presidential Traverse in early August. The upper reaches are fairly steep (for the last .5 mile) before reaching the summit. We were carrying pack weights similar to what we would be required to have with us in NH so the vertical ascent was longer than we expected. My log reads that we started from the trailhead at 9:20 AM and reached the summit at 11:16 AM. We returned after lunch in 1.5 hours for a RT hike time of approximately 3:30 hrs.

I would expect ice above 3000 feet at this time so plan accordingly. Crampons would certainly keep those safety margins reasonable. I will close with the narrative from my log. Have a safe and enjoyable hike!

Pete Hogan

Mt. Adams (July 13, 2004)

The recently cleared and vastly improved route from the Hanging Spears Falls Trail (ADK #123), approach to Allen Mountain is in excellent condition with some muddy, slippery sections in the upper reaches. From previous reports on this and other websites, the improvements to this 1972-abandoned route are due to extensive, thorough and valued trail work by Americorps volunteers and others. Approximately 20 minutes from the trailhead, there is a cairn on the left of the main trail directing you to another cairn (also on the left) that marks the beginning of the route to Mt. Adams. The route is clearly marked with red DEC Foot Trail discs. The first section of the Mt. Adams Trail is a gradual and pleasant walk on a very soft trail. About a mile and a half into the hike, the trail reaches a rocky section and begins a more serious ascent on steeper grades. There are several switchbacks and brief plateaus that help lessen the severity of the ascent. At approximately 1.9 miles from the trailhead parking, there is a long sidehill traverse that swings left following the narrow rocky section and ends in an area of significant blow down that has been cut and cleared. This marks the beginning of the last half-mile of steep hiking before the summit is reached. We were impressed with the pitch of the upper slopes. The horizon was low ahead of us and also on both sides emphasizing the sharp angle of ascent and deceiving us to think that the summit was imminent. It was, but not without some additional work. The fire tower is posted as “closed to the public”, but the extensive repair work to stair treads and platforms prompted us to “give it a go”.

Trekking poles helped to ease the effects of the steep descent. Although we carried full packs in preparation for an upcoming White Mountain Presidential traverse, this trip can be completed with much lighter provisions.

We decided to take this trip regardless of weather and although the summit was in the clouds this day eliminating the possibility of views, we were satisfied with our choice and plan to return. This would be an outstanding fall hike or winter snowshoe trip. We were both impressed with the physical challenge of this route as well as the peace and solitude of this remote area. The tower is necessary for the views, but the mountain can stand on its own for an enjoyable and challenging day hike.

Mt. Adams

mavs00,

The new (13th Edition) of the High Peaks Region Guide states that the distance from the trailhead to the summit is 2.4 miles with an 1800-foot vertical ascent. The summit elevation is 3540'. That sounds about right.

Pete Hogan

Tim -
1. Without crampons, or at least creepers, you'll have a slippery go of it on the upper reaches. Rocky slabs and steep stretches will be icy/snowy.

2. With any kind of good weather, the view will knock you out. You can practically reach out and touch Calamity...make it a visual recon for your next ADK100 mission.

3. You can't really count Adams for your HH unless you 'whack it from the north. (Just kidding....)

Good luck!
JT

Tim,

I did this by myself 3 years ago with a late start on a December morning. There was a few inches of snow on the ground down low, and more snow up higher and snow on the branches. At that time the route had not been maintained for years, and I wasted quite a bit of time locating the beginning of the route, and then ended up bushwacking to it about 1/2 mile up. I was less than a half hour from the summit when I decided to turn back, around 2:30 as the trail follows a stream bed and the snow covered some nasty ice. I would have continued if someone was with me. It was so slippery, the consequences of a fall could have been bad. I reasoned that as the sun went down further, the spots that were wet from splashing water would all be ice.

4 of us went back 3 weeks later and had a good time.

In some ways Adams would be better with more snow. You'd be covering up the icy trail and it would be nice and soft for a slip.

Have fun, but I'd be careful without crampons or insteps, and poles would be useful.

Alan

Adams alternative

Tim,

There's no question Adams is a magnificent peak. Considering that there will certainly be ice and who knows how much snow, why not give Goodnow a try? The trail is wide, there is little water to cross, and even if it is icy it should not require crampons. Poles should do. It is beautifully maintained by SUNY ESF. The fire tower is in excellent condition. Since it is about 12 miles SW of Adams and that much further away from the high peaks, you would want a clear day. But if you get that clear day, the view of the High Peaks from the SW, I classify as beyond breathtaking. Identifying familiar peaks from this new perspective is a challenge.

3.8 miles RT, 1040 ft. ascent. Even at your turkey-bloated pace, it should take no more than an hour to climb. If working off some of those extra pounds is the goal and you need a little more of a workout, do it TWICE!!!

teejay

It's a go

Have crampons, will travel..... Got the kids some 6 point insteps, mostly on your advice. IT WILL BE ICY, given the fact that it's rain and sleet til Thurs night and then lows to 15. No problem now, and friday looks to be clearing up a bit.

Just us 4 at the moment (Peakbgr is a possible) but if anyone else is interested, we'll be leaving from the ALLEN trailhead between 8:30-9 AM. But be warned, we'll be a travelling circus with 2 kids and possibly dogs too (hell, I might even bring a cell phone :eek: ). You gotta do what cha gotta do. Unless your a PURIST, I guarentee we'll keep you'll amused at the very least. respond here, PM me or even just show up if you're in. Turkey sandwiches by noon in the firetower, I can't wait.

btw, you guys are the greatest, thanks. Special thanks to Christine, we'll check it out ;)

p.s. BIGMOOSE, no way, I'm not counting this JOY hike, I've already scoped my Calamity to Adams whack for my HH :). It's just that if I took my wife and kids on it, I'd find myself in divorce court quick :p

Last edited: