Hiking in the Adirondacks. Thursday December 15.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
Some possible choices from the infinite ADK menu that I am currently looking at:
  • Bushwhack from Rte 73-south over the southern shoulder of Round Mountain and continuation of bushwhack to Noonmark. Return via Stimson trail and either roadwalk, use spotted vehicle, bike ride or hitchhike.
  • Hike in to Elk Pass and drop down towards Elk Lake via the drainage and either bushwhack to the summit of Colvin or Blake depending on time of day, conditions etc.
  • Mount Marcy via the Van Ho trail (great mid-week getting into shape for winter hike)
  • Haystack from the Garden. (as above)

Interested? Let me know! :)

The Route 73 side of the Round Mtn ridge is thick and unpleasant. I recommend taking the Round Pond trail to the height of land on the big flat rock, and then climbing Round via its East Ridge, which is very scenic. I would then take the trail from Round to Noonmark, and then bushwhack Noonmark's scenic West Ridge to the Bear Den trail. Return via Gravestone Brook. Highly recommended loop!

I recommend taking the Round Pond trail to the height of land on the big flat rock,

You are referring to that flat rock before the short descent to Round Pond at 1800 feet, correct?

Yep. The short path to the designated campsite can be a way to get started following the ridge. Have fun!

Thanks to TCD's intervention here's what the hike will be.

Round Pond TH to height of land at 1800 before Round Pond.
Round Mountain via bumps and ridges.
Bushwhack off of Round and up Noonmark
Over to the Bear Den-Dial col and out Gravestone Brook.
Marked trail back to Round Pond TH.

Comes to about 9 miles with 4 or 5 on-trail and 3500 elly gain and loss.
It will probably be icy. We did Noonmark on Saturday via the Stimson trail and at the top of NM the ice was quite thick and in places it was too hard for microspikes.

Additionally, the forecast for Thursday is looking good for trying out foul weather gear.

Keene Valley
Thursday

Rain. Breezy with highs in the mid 40s. Southwest winds 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 35 mph. Chance of rain 90 percent.

Have fun...

I'm doing HaBaSa. I think it's better to stay on the marked trail system with those conditions. I'll see after Saddleback and maybe do Gothics and Sawteeth if I feel up to the walk from the Garden to St Huberts.