Search and Rescue Grant

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erugs

Reaction score
I was looking for more information on lost hikers I heard about this morning (lost coming off Chocorua Monday without maps or lights after a late start) and read about this grant Fish and Game just received.

Here's the link: http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Newsroom/News_2011/news_2011_Q4/foundation_canine_grant_120911.html

Basically it is $2500 from the Fuller Foundation to grow the canine program. One thing I didn't think about was that search and rescue dogs can also be trained for fish and wildlife detection. (Like mountain lions?) The grant was presented to The Wildlife Heritage Foundation of NH, which I also didn't know about, and is the fundraising arm of the F&G.

Interesting what you find out when you are looking for other news, isn't it?

Last edited:
If dogs can be trained to detect lung cancer with an 80% success rate just by sniffing a patient's breath, I'd bet that detecting different species of wildlife is probably a piece of cake. :)

If dogs can be trained to detect lung cancer with an 80% success rate just by sniffing a patient's breath, I'd bet that detecting different species of wildlife is probably a piece of cake. :)
Any wild animal has to be good at identifying any species that it can eat or that can threaten it or it will not survive. Domesticated versions of these animals presumably retain (and can be trained to exploit) some of this ability--the problem is getting them to tell humans what they detect...

Doug