Retiring to Maine?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Rickie

Reaction score
I guess I put this in the wrong place and people couldn't respond...:eek:

Retiring to Maine?

Where would be a nice place to retire to in Maine? Not to big, not economically depressed, where I can enjoy the woods and open water? Quiet and low key is a priority. Don't mind a short commute to town/coast as a trade of for quality of life.

Thanks

edit: Coming from a state with personal, sales and higher gas taxes, as well as numerous insideous fees and other state driven expenses, I'll admit to having been a bit numb/blind when it comes to the impact on income, especially during retirement, these taxes and fees have. I can't imagine retiring to a state with similar or higher taxes.

With apologies to our friends in Maine, and deference to the natural attractions, I'll submit the following;

http://retirementliving.com/RLstate2.html

retirementliving.com link said:
MAINE
Sales Taxes
State Sales Tax: 5.0% (food and prescription drugs exempt)
Gasoline Tax: 31 cents/gallon
Diesel Fuel Tax: 32.2 cents/gallon
Cigarette Tax: $2.00/pack of 20

Personal Income Taxes
Tax Rate Range: Low - 2%; High - 8.5% (See 2010 tax rate schedule)
Income Brackets: * Lowest - $4,950; Highest - $19,750
Number of Brackets: 4
Personal Exemptions: Single - $2,850; Married - $5,700; Dependents - $2,850
Standard Deduction: Single - $5,700; Married filing jointly - $9,550.
Additional Deductions for Age or Blindness: $1,100 if married (whether filing jointly or separately) or a surviving spouse. The additional amount is $2,200 if one spouse is 65 or over and blind, $2,200* if both spouses are 65 or over and blind, $4,400,* $1,400 if unmarried (single or head-of-household). The additional amount is $2,800 if the individual is both 65 or over and blind. *If married filing separately, these amounts apply only if you can claim an exemption for your spouse.
Medical/Dental Deduction: Federal amount
Federal Income Tax Deduction: None
Retirement Income Taxes: You and your spouse (if married) may each deduct up to $6,000 of eligible pension income that is included in your federal adjusted gross income. Except for military pension benefits, the $6,000 cap must be reduced by any Social Security and Railroad Retirement benefits received, whether taxable or not. Deductible pension income includes state, federal and military pension benefits, as well as retirement benefits received from employee retirement plans

NEW HAMPSHIRE
Sales Taxes
State Sales Tax: None. There is an 8% tax on lodging and restaurant meals and a 7% tax on two-way communications.
Gasoline Tax: 19.6 cents/gallon
Diesel Fuel Tax: 19.6 cents/gallon
Cigarette Tax: $1.78 cents/pack of 20

Personal Income Taxes
New Hampshire depends more upon real property taxes for revenue than most states since there are no general income, sales or use taxes. The state also receives substantial revenue from taxes on motor fuels, tobacco products, alcoholic beverages sold through the state liquor stores, and pari-mutuel betting. The state income tax is limited to a 5% tax on dividends and interest income of more than $2,400 ($4,800 for joint filers). A $1,200 exemption is available for residents who are 65 years of age or older. For an overview of New Hampshire taxes, click here.
Retirement Income: Not taxed.

Last edited:
I live in NY, don't tell me about taxes.

It is the natural attractions, the distance far North and quality of life that make it attractive.

Chip & PA, have you visited the state?

Personal Income Taxes
New Hampshire depends more upon real property taxes for revenue than most states since there are no general income, sales or use taxes. The state also receives substantial revenue from taxes on motor fuels, tobacco products, alcoholic beverages sold through the state liquor stores, and pari-mutuel betting. The state income tax is limited to a 5% tax on dividends and interest income of more than $2,400 ($4,800 for joint filers).

Most of those don't apply to me. Not looking for expensive property. I can make my own beer and wine.:D

I love Maine. We have a family place in Ogunquit, where I take the wife and kids to for a couple of weeks every year. Ogunquit isn't exactly low key in the summer, but it quiets right down in the "off-season." Not quick access to the mountains, for sure, but I-95 is right there ... you can be in Portland in 45 minutes and the Sugarloaf Region in less than 3 hours; Baxter is a little longer. Many years, I'll break away for a day or two for a trip to the hills. I could move to Maine full-time in a heartbeat but don't see it happening in the near future (even though retirement from my current career is on the near horizon. :cool: ) Happy hunting.

Last edited:
Well, some Mainiac has to speak up.......

I live 20 mins Northwest of Portland- Maine's largest city. Portland is a neat little city with the OldPort- older part of the city down on the waterfront with cobblestone streets. Yes, the taxes are high, the business climate unfavorable, and overall not cheap to live here. My family, friends, and job are here- so am I for now.

I can get to Pinkham Notch in about 1.5 hours, Crawford Notch in 1.75 hours, Franconia Notch in about 2.25 hours, and Appalachia in about 2 hours.

Boston is 2hrs down the road, the Maine mountains are 2-3 hours away. Beaches scattered up and down the coast, as well as inland on lakes and ponds.

If you don't want "Economically depressed", stay in Southwestern Maine. I'm from the Northern end of the state- and wouldn't move back.

enjoy!
Petch

Well, some Mainiac has to speak up.......

I live 20 mins Northwest of Portland- Maine's largest city. Portland is a neat little city with the OldPort- older part of the city down on the waterfront with cobblestone streets. Yes, the taxes are high, the business climate unfavorable, and overall not cheap to live here. My family, friends, and job are here- so am I for now.

I can get to Pinkham Notch in about 1.5 hours, Crawford Notch in 1.75 hours, Franconia Notch in about 2.25 hours, and Appalachia in about 2 hours.

Boston is 2hrs down the road, the Maine mountains are 2-3 hours away. Beaches scattered up and down the coast, as well as inland on lakes and ponds.

If you don't want "Economically depressed", stay in Southwestern Maine. I'm from the Northern end of the state- and wouldn't move back.

enjoy!
Petch

Come to Bridgton and you can knock 30 minutes off of Petch's times to the Whites.;)

New Hampshire.

I'm reminded of a bumper sticker I once saw in Conway: New Hampshire--The way Maine should have been. :D

Last edited:
Maine's also too damn big, even if they gave Aroostook back to Canada. When exit numbers become mileage markers, something disproportionate has occured. Leaving Baxter a few years ago I listened to a complete football game on the radio...and still hadn't gotten out of the state. Depending on where you live, that's what you're doing, unless you're traveling a few hours...and then you could live almost anywhere in the northeast. That's it. Obviously I made up my mind. I plan on visting ME alot in my retirement. Freakin beautiful state.

330px-Maine_regions_map.png

Mainer since 1988

I've come here from Germany (Berchtesgaden) in 1988. Here, means Maine (Springvale, Sanford, Falmouth, Portland, Old Orchard Beach, Windham in chronological order.

Although they say Maine is the worst state in the union to do business, I would not live anywhere else. As far as I am concerned it could be better if more people left the state to seek economical fortunes and more people remained who value Maine as a natural treasure. It is one of the few states where you can wander about without much fretting about private property. (It could be better but I digress...). Especially for retirement you can participate in low impact outdoor pursuits like cross country skiing, snowshoeing, sea kayaking, hiking, fly fishing and most of the time you won't have to pull out your wallet to pay an entrance fee (of course you might drop a fortune for equipment of your choice :D).

Clubs like the AMC and MITA (Maine Island Trail) will provide you with destination that will last you years to explore.

There are places that do one thing better but very few that have the right mix that keeps me happy.

Now that I have waxed about Maine for too many paragraphs...if you are only into mountains and hiking and are looking at the New England region then I could see no better place than anywhere in the White Mountains of New Hampshire.

You might want to check out the area between Camden and Belfast. It has small mountains, lakes, ocean and is within an hour and a half or so from Portland, Augusta, Bangor and Acadia national park. I lived in Camden for a few years and it was a nice place, a little slow in the winter for a 20 something year old, but a nice slower pace for retirees.

Bethel for an inland town. Brunswick on the coast.

Those are great choices to consider. I also love Rangeley, where my wife and I have owned a lakefront cabin for the past 16 years. We love the quiet, the natural beauty, the nice people and the beautiful lakes & mountains. It is not a place for everyone, though. It has limited stores, has long & cold winters, nasty mud seasons and is not close to anywhere.

Good luck on your search.

Marty

Live free or Die (not soon) in NH Rickie

I agree with Chip. Retiring to NH is a way lower cost option then our friends in the great state of Maine. Don't get me wrong Maine is an awesome place. They have nicer beaches and the farther north you go the nicer the folks get. Other than are fantastic tax structure in NH nothing is to far to do in a day. My house is 2hrs from Crawford notch 1.5 to Portland 40 mins to Boston and 40 mins to the Beach. Maine is a very big state and getting from place to place is far. I vote for the state I was born in and am very bias but at the end of the day either is a great choice the important part is you will be retired!!

I also love Rangeley, where my wife and I have owned a lakefront cabin for the past 16 years.

Rangely seems like it'd be a good bet. It's right in the middle of the High Peaks, so you've got plenty of hiking opportunities nearby. Same with paddling- the Northern Forest Canoe Trail runs right through Rangeley. Plus it's not too terribly far from civilization- Farmington is like 30 minutes away and is a pretty decently sized town.

Damariscotta, Rockport or Rockland. The midcoast is wonderful in so many ways. I don't live there, yet, but I hope to soon. Rockland still has affordable housing options, Damariscotta a bit less so. But, there's lots of cool towns just inland: Union, Hope, Appleton, etc. I've spent quite a bit of time in the area for the past 16 plus years and I feel more at home there than I ever did when I was actually living permanently in Conway, NH .....

I love Evans Notch and other Western Mountain areas, but I personally think they're just a bit too far from museums and other cultural attractions. As much as I love the mountains, my personal preference is to be closer to the coast. I'll be paying for that proximity though, for certain.