Catskill hikes last week Dec

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldfeet

Reaction score
Looking to go up there midweek around Dec 28 - 30th. I would also like to car camp out in designated areas and a possible backpack. Do to knee issues I'm hiking early in am at a slow relaxing pace. Here is my short list that has been collecting dust since 2009. Thx

Table/Peekamoose

Cornell/Wittenberg

Plateau/Twin/Sugarloaf

Kaaterskill HP

Balsam Lake (saving for finish)

2 bushwacks - need help, will supply bagels :rolleyes:
Doubletop
Rusk

Looking to go up there midweek around Dec 28 - 30th. ...
Balsam Lake (saving for finish)
Rusk
We'll be away that weekend, but let us know when BLM happens! :)

Also, Rusk is a piece of cake. Just walk up the road to the hair pin turn, take a bearing and up you go. It's only about 1 mile from there. Try to cross the 3 little streams and get on the ridge line ASAP. And if the snow is still on the ground, getting back is always a piece of cake.

Sorry but I can't join in on the fun on the 31st. For some reason I think my wife has made plans :rolleyes: Gee she couldn't have picked another night to celebrate new years :D

We'll be home by mid-night.

Oh yea, I've heard that before :rolleyes:

She was really angry with me last month when I went paddling the Oswegetchie (sp?) and I didn't call for 3 days. I even told her there was no cell service, how could that be she says, your in NY.

The saying in Brooklyn goes FORGEDABOWDIT!

I was hoping to hike in that same time frame. From your list, I'd like to do Twin and KHP (dang list :) )

Looks like we might live close enough to carpool.

NorthShore -sounds like a good idea for some day trips but for that week I'm going to stay up there and camp out with my nephew or other friend from Kings Park. Will keep u updated. Would like to have a get together soon. I'm going kayaking today at Jones Beach piers to check out seals, if your around stop by I'm guessing around 1 pm on our way back to the cars.

Looks like Thurs Dec 29th Kaaterskill HP, then car camp somewhere or 150 ft from trail and Fri Dec 30th bushwack Rusk. Get home Friday night, clean up and make wife happy and hopefully get back to Cats mid January.

NorthShore -sounds like a good idea for some day trips but for that week I'm going to stay up there and camp out with my nephew or other friend from Kings Park. Will keep u updated. Would like to have a get together soon. I'm going kayaking today at Jones Beach piers to check out seals, if your around stop by I'm guessing around 1 pm on our way back to the cars.

I hope you had a good day at Jones Beach. I was stomping my feet around the campfire with the boy scouts on Saturday.

Last edited:
I was with troop 423 Plainview/Old Bethpage for a few years, think 06/09. I went on the Greenbelt trail for a hike 2 weekends ago and a troop was trainning for Philmont, they were from Suffolk. I might rejoin and help out a new pack forming in my school in Queens in January. Why? I guess I'm just trying to help out the kids and parents who need a volunteer.

ps, Jones Beach paddle was cancelled, but they forgot to call me :confused:
I went paddling with IndianChris on Peconic Sunday. Still chilly out.

Hey buddy, all is well, just so happens that my son (now 19 and a Hoosier, sorry) just flew into your home state earlier today to see his grandma. You still making that fire hot sauce? :eek: Whats up with the Grey Knobs?

yp

they grow up fast. so proud of the man my boy has become.

yeah, just did another batch o hot jam. haven't seen much o my NE friends, been doing my adventurin in the great smokies

any time y'all wanna beach vacation just lemme know Dave. say hi to the family

Will do, thx and say hello to SherpaK for me. He must be ignoring this Yankee fan, Well hope his new mananger Bobby V (former Met mananger) doesn't help them. Happy Holidays!