Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Hillsound Trail Pro

I noticed the the salesperson at Adv. Outfitters adjusted them differently that I did. I had them out a little too far but the screw really needed much more tightening. I just don't have that kind of "brute" strength!
    Last edited by Maddy; 01-25-2012 at 06:06 PM.

I wonder if anyone has considered the need to carry an extra screw for the Hillsounds, just in case it comes out during a hike.
    Ellen

Volunteer Maintainer: East Pond Trail

"Through winter-time we call on spring/And through the spring on summer call/And when abounding hedges ring/Declare that winter's best of all/And after that there's nothing good/Because the spring-time has not come... William Butler Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by erugs View Post
    I wonder if anyone has considered the need to carry an extra screw for the Hillsounds, just in case it comes out during a hike.
    Never thought of doing that but it's a great idea!
    Have been using mine daily! They have been holding steady since the big guys at AO tightened them up.

One of mine crampon pair was loose. So when I went to tighten the bolt snapped. I returned to EMS an opted instead for a pair of Camp crampons. Not as easy to put on. However, the fix to boot is much better and the attachment to the boot is boom proof.

Maddy,

You can buy 3 types of Loctite. With different degrees of 'permancies'. From almost impossible to loosen to one that is easily tool adjustable.
    Also, there are some locknuts with plastic inserts that are much less likely to creep.
    "The fact that going off the deep end appears
    to be a requisite to doing anything of consequence
    in this life has not escaped me." Jim Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by Peakbagr View Post
    Maddy,

You can buy 3 types of Loctite. With different degrees of 'permancies'. From almost impossible to loosen to one that is easily tool adjustable.
    Also, there are some locknuts with plastic inserts that are much less likely to creep.
    Great info. Will look into this. Thanks.

I've used my pro crampons quite a few times this season and have not even bothered to tighten the nut..I've just put them on and the straps have kept them from slipping..guess this is similar to una dogger's post but so far it has worked for me...

My new Hillsound Pro crampons have broken. The break is on the right inside heel, just above the joint, for the part that goes around the back of my boot. I noticed it on Saturday morning, as we were starting up the Mt. Garfield Trail. While I was able to make a trailside repair that worked for the entire day, it made me think about what might have happened. I'm not sure which of the two major hikes I've done might have been when they broke (Moosilauke or Osceolas) but I do remember thinking that the right foot seemed "squirrely" byt they might have been broken then and I hadn't noticed.

The other issue I found was that I had cranked down on them to keep them on my boots, but perhaps cranked too much. The front part might have cut off some circulation in my toes, which could be why they felt/were so cold. (I was using my Cabellas.)
    Ellen

"Through winter-time we call on spring/And through the spring on summer call/And when abounding hedges ring/Declare that winter's best of all/And after that there's nothing good/Because the spring-time has not come... William Butler Yeats

A picture showing the breaking point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0690.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	3560  
    Ellen

Quote Originally Posted by erugs View Post
    My new Hillsound Pro crampons have broken. The break is on the right inside heel, just above the joint, for the part that goes around the back of my boot.
    I just returned mine yesterday for the same break, except mine was the left inside heel. I did a lot of climbing post break and they stayed together with just the other strap above it holding it on. EMS took the return and gave me my cash back and said it was the first return on them they have had this season. I don't think that EMS (Albany) had originally purchased that many in the first place though. They also said they picked up that version after a bunch of breaks on the regular Hillsound crampon (microspike like).
    Cory D
    “I don’t know if momma was right or if it’s Lieutenant Dan. I don’t know if we each have a destiny… or if we're all floating around accidental like.. on a breeze. But, I think… maybe it’s both… maybe both are happening at the same time.” –Forrest Gump.

I went to EMS after work tonight and the manager told me that in the three years they have been selling them they have not seen this problem. I am in there on a regular basis and trust what they tell me. I came home with a replacement (and a few other things).
    Ellen

Just ordered a pair of these at Kitterytradingpost.com. They're having a President's Day Sale until 2/24/12 (enter promotion code PREZ12 at checkout) with free shipping or the option to pick them up at the store. Total price after discount and with Maine state sales tax = $50.39.

Dartmouth, Nova Scotia - Avatar: Lion Head trail
    Quote Originally Posted by Peakbagr View Post
    Maddy,

I used to use the "easily tool adjustable" type with my rugby boots, & it worked just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    I used to use the "easily tool adjustable" type with my rugby boots, & it worked just fine.
    I've used the tool to tighten, and later to check that it remained tight. Both times the handy tool slipped and I cut my fingers on the sharp Hillsound crampons. But that's the cost of checking, right?
    Ellen

Only info I can relate is second hand and that is...the microspike version people like the more aggresive teeth; the light crampon version my roomate and his gf have, and on either the first or second time using (this past weekend in the dacks) the ratchet that tightens and holds the strap broke. That would be my biggest concern with them, is that the ratchet, while pretty handy, seems not as durable as the traditional 2 ring tightening system on full crampons.
    Scotzman
    ADK-#6910,10/46W
    15/48NH
    66/115
    Every man dies, not every man really lives.