Hillsound Trail Pro

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

una_dogger

Reaction score
Hillsound Trail Pro **updated with review***

I'd like to hear any member reviews of the Hillsound Trail Pro lightweight crampon (not to be Confused with the smaller, microspike/like model).

Looking for an intermediate between micros and crampons.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Love 'em. I've had them for a couple years. They nicely fill the gap between microspikes and full crampons. Negatives are that sometimes they want to rotate around your foot (need to make the instep strap nice and snug), and sometimes chain links break (plan to repair with coat hanger wire).

You can also look for cheaper knockoffs. I have one pair of the Hillsound and one pair of the "Mil-Tech" knockoffs ($18) - they seem very similar.

I think that una is asking about these. They were on sale at EMS for $63 earlier this week, but I missed out. They look really nice, and the online reviews are good.

41d3dcC66AL._AA300_.jpg

EMS Link

I'd like to hear any member reviews of the Hillsound Trail Pro lightweight crampon (not to be Confused with the smaller, microspike/like model).

Looking for an intermediate between micros and crampons.

Thanks!
Can you link to the model you are interested in, so we are comparing apples and apples? I'm very interested as well, and I was surprised to learn that there are 2 different products!

Quietman- thanks for that link - those are
The Trail Pros - the Model I am Interested in.

The less aggressive models are these:
http://www.hillsound.com/2products/trail_crampon.php
They are similar to microspikes, but have a 1.6 cm spike as opposed
To 1 cm. They are reviewed somewhat poorly - they
Tend to ball up with snow and can slip
Off.

The Pros have ten 2cm spike points, anti-balling pads, and a better strapping system.

Definately looking for an intermediate step

Between micros and full on crampons, thanks for your input, TCD.

And apologies - posting via iPhone ;-)

I have the knockoff trail "crampon" that TCD mentions. I returned my Microspikes as the Hillsound design provides much better traction with longer and more numerous spikes. I have had no issues with slippage, and balling issues are the same as Microspikes as both have unprotected chains.

The Hillsound Trail Pro's are a little overkill for my mostly southern NH hikes, but if they go on sale again, I might grab them.

My micros only seem to ball up at lower elevations under mixed conditions and when there are still uncovered leaves on the ground. I was wondering if the "spike circle thingy" on the bottom of the Hillsound-Microlikes was the cause of the balling I'd read about?

A couple of weekends ago I was descending the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail and there was too much ice for my microspikes and too little for the Grivel G10s I was carrying. Needless to say, it was a tedious descent. :eek: I think these conditions would be perfect for something like the Hillsound Trail Pro's. I don't think the entry level Hillsound model would be sufficient in those conditions (although I admit my Katahoula Microspikes have gotten quite dull).

Thanks for the input -- I think I'll ask Santa....:p

Hillsound Pros. They are on my wish list, too. Una-Dogger, as my Microspikes are wearing down and I, too, want something in the middle of my G10s and the Microspikes.

(Funny - the last time my G10s balled up was in early August, on Rainier below Muir and I remember a very humorous hike up Indian Head last winter when my Microspikes got ice-bound stuck on a log I was standing on during a quick break.)

Last edited:
Since the thread drifted to include the regular Hillsounds (HILLSOUND TRAIL CRAMPONS Not the TRAIL CRAMPONS PRO), here is my read on using the TRAIL CRAMPONS (not PROS) for a year. (I DO AGREE THAT HILLSOUNDS NAMING LEAVES SOMETHING TO BE DESIRED)

The balling issue is relative, when hiking with groups of predominately microspike users, when my Hillsounds we balled up, other folks with Microspikes were having issues.

Microspikes tend to break far more often when they are hanging loose or the wrong size. The extra velcro strap on the Hillsounds keeps them snug and would be a good retrofit for microspikes.

Microspikes tend to fall off a lot easier than Hillsounds especially wehn poorly fitted. They are not as bad as Yak tracks which inevitably slide off when you really need them but with the velcro strap, Hillsounds are on for good.

The Hillsounds have superior traction on wet ice compared to microspikes.

After a season of use, there doesnt seem to be any weak spots.

Last edited:
Since the thread drifted to include the regular Hillsounds, here is my read on using them for a year.

The balling issue is relative, when hiking with groups of predominately microspike users, when my Hillsounds we balled up, other folks with Microspikes were having issues.

Microspikes tend to break far more often when they are hanging loose or the wrong size. The extra velcro strap on the Hillsounds keeps them snug and would be a good retrofit for microspikes.

Microspikes tend to fall off a lot easier than Hillsounds especially wehn poorly fitted. They are not as bad as Yak tracks whihc inevitably slide off when you really need them but with the velcro strap, Hillsounds are on for good.

The Hillsounds have superior traction on wet ice compared to microspikes.

After a season of use, there doesnt seem to be any weak spots.

Which model Hillsounds are you discussing?

This thread is confusing. I've read it twice, and am not sure what people are saying about which model Hillsounds. Is there a reset button on these threads? :)

I should add that I used AustriaAlpins 6 point crampons for many years before microspikes came on the market. They're a good compromise between microspikes and 10-pointers. Not the most durable of things, but could usually get a seaon out of them. They used to be available from EMS, but don't know if they're still carried.

Last edited:
I got a pair (Trail Crampon Pro) last winter and had no problems with traction or balling up..found it easy to put them on sometimes compared to stretching out to get the microspikes on...they did really well on the Wildcat A slide (course after TR kicked steps the day before)..comes in a nice heavy duty storage bag and allin wrench included for tightening the nuts and bolts..

Sorry I caused some of the confusion.

TCD and peakbagger are referring to the Hillsound Trail Crampon
crampons_2.jpg

==============================================================

una orignally asked for info on the Hillsound Trail Pro Crampon and Lefty E's response is about these

crampons_pro_2.jpg

The confusion is all Hillsound's for thier terrible naming of these two related products!

I would think they would add the anti snow
Ball pad to the Trail Crampon as well?

Both are made to wear with soft boots or trail runners, which is a huge plus for me.

Of course if you are going for the trail pro, you may want to look at Grivel Air techs, they are the next step up and have far better antiballing features (the bellows on the spreader bar works well but has a limited life on rocks).

Of course if you are going for the trail pro, you may want to look at Grivel Air techs

I have these. They're amazingly lightweight and perfect for that "I might need a *real* crampon on this hike so I'm gonna carry" situation. To that end, they're real crampons, and not necessarily something you'd want for just walking a slippery trail or doing a lot of miles on (unless you really needed a full crampon, in which case I'd say to use a full-size steel crampon and save the Air Techs from wearing out).

Of course if you are going for the trail pro, you may want to look at Grivel Air techs, they are the next step up and have far better antiballing features (the bellows on the spreader bar works well but has a limited life on rocks).

I'm not sure they are made for use with flexible soled shoes, though, which the Trail Crampon Pro's are -- also -- think the Air Tech's are aluminum and the Hillsounds are carbon steel.

Last edited: