San Diego trail ideas

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceNsnow

Reaction score
Howdy! I'm thinking about spending some time this April in San Diego visiting family and would like some suggestions for places to hike, mtb or run relatively nearby. An extra special trip idea that wouldn't be more than a day would also be appreciated.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!!
Inge :)

I really liked Cuyamaca Rancho SP when I was in the area a few years back for a meeting. If you have a car it is not far at all. I know they have had some fires there relatively recently though, so check before you go. Great views to the west from the peak in there, which is a short enough hike to leave you plenty more of your day. Watch for mountain lions!

Agree with weatherman: Cuyamaca Rancho State Park has some very nice trails to run. It's about a hour +/- from the city. A little bit further east is the PCT which is very nice and runable in that area.

Stop in Julian for some apple pie afterwards!

If you don't want to drive far, Cowles Mountain is the place to go. It's about 1.5 miles to the top. You won't be alone.

In the same area, Mission Trails is a nice place to go and has more options for longer loops.

Then there's always Balboa Park if you're looking for just a short jaunt.

:)

Second the Cowles Mountain and Mission Trails suggestions, and boy are they crowded (but beautiful anyway)... have to differ just a little on the Julian pie... it was OK but not spectacular, but I think I am a New England pie snob. Then again any pie after a hike is good.:D