Mount Marcy

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1ADAM12

Reaction score
Has anyone been into Marcy, Skylight, or Gray recently? I am curious as to what conditions are besides ice, ice and more ice :D I am sure Microspikes down low and Crampons for higher elevation are in order?

Thanks,
Adam

Can you use Easy Cheese instead of microspikes, that stuff is sticky like hell!

:p

Jay

I did Porter and Cascade yesterday from the garden. Lots and lots of ice up high, especially on the well-traveled trail between Porter and Cascade. It was pretty slushy ice yesterday (never even used my microspikes), but I bet with the low temperatures last night, things have solidified pretty good. On the descent I could tell that things were starting to harden up... definitely microspikes, and maybe even crampons are warranted now.

Adam, just to be on the safe side, I think you should wait till next year.

Don't worry about it, just bring your poles, Microspikes, crampons, and ice axe and you'll be fine. There was 2-3" of new snow last night, and now it is really cold. Perfect!

Adam,

Which peaks do you "need" to reach to complete your winter quest?

Adam, just to be on the safe side, I think you should wait till next year.

Don't worry about it, just bring your poles, Microspikes, crampons, and ice axe and you'll be fine. There was 2-3" of new snow last night, and now it is really cold. Perfect!

Ha! I have schlepped all of the above plus snowshoes on a hike or two. Not only that but my iPad with G4 connectivity to send real-time TR`s back to the forum.

"Oh pleeeeease, please tell me. Is the GD trail broken out?"

"Yes Rik. You can come winter hiking now."

I would carry crampons for sure. Prior to packing them I would take a file to the points and render them very, very pointy. I would also carry a recently sharpened ice ax, but that's just me.

Climbing Marcy you main issue could be Marcy Dam temporary crossing which can be challenging in high water. A new bridge, across Marcy Brook, will likely be built next spring somewhere below the dam; therefore a December 21st, 2012 Marcy W is a realistic back-up plan...

Thats a bummer. The antibiotics should knock the heck out of the strep pretty quickly.

Alan

I hope so. I just woke up for the first time since Sunday with no fever but my throat is still on fire.

Rob not sure I want to hike at this point. I have not even had a solid meal since Sunday. Its hard enough to swallow water and I am dehydrated. I do not want to get on a side of a mountain and cramp up. You know if I do not keep hydrated I am prone to that.

Is there a contra-indication to taking antibiotiques and MonoSodiumGlutamate at the same time?