Long Trail 12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChacoTaco

Reaction score
As fate would have it, it looks like Im going to be able to swing a couple of weeks of long distance hiking this summer. Wife and I did the AT section of the LT and am thinking about finishing it up. Going to get the E2E guidebook and the LT Map. Are their fees in the northern sections? How is the resupply and hostel issue north of Killington? Any info is great thanks.

Check out this site.....

http://www.pmags.com/green-mountain-gallivantings-paul-magnantis-long-trail-hikes-1997-and-1999

This site has a lot of great information for planning other long distance hikes as well.

I did an E2E in 09 and I think the only place I had to pay a fee was at Butler Lodge....it also had the best privy! I did a resupply in Jonesville and Johnson. Never stayed at any hostels and I don't recall there being many along the way.

If you are interested here is a link to my jounral.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=11187

Hope this helps.

-MEB

Last edited:
As fate would have it, it looks like Im going to be able to swing a couple of weeks of long distance hiking this summer. Wife and I did the AT section of the LT and am thinking about finishing it up. Going to get the E2E guidebook and the LT Map. Are their fees in the northern sections? How is the resupply and hostel issue north of Killington? Any info is great thanks.

There are a few shelters north of killington where there are fees, but easily avoided if you want to (they're really great shelters, though) and very well signed ahead of time.

Resupply... so many great places. Hostels... not so many.

I have read Mags and book marked it. Thanks. Im so stoked about this hike. Kinda glad there aren't many hostels, makes temptation easier to avoid. Glad the resupply issue won't be too much to worry about.

Any idea when you'll be out there, Chaco Taco? I'm hoping to do the end-to-end as well this summer, but I don't know exactly when.

From the time I spent in Vermont and the section hikes I did on the LT, my impression is that if you've done the AT, the logistics of the Long Trail should be a walk in the park. There are so many great options for places to resupply (with grocery stores and great restaurants), and there are so many great places to camp. North of Killington, there's fine resupply in Brandon, Middlebury, Waitsfield, Waterbury, Richmond, Stowe, Johnson, and Montgomery Center (although the Johnson supermarket is closed, I think, so you would have to either rely on a mail drop or a longer hitch to Morristown). That's about 7 possible stops (richmond and waterbury are at the same road crossing) in 180 miles. You get the idea.

I'm hoping to find time to go E2E (Northbound this time) next summer also. I find the LT to be highly addictive.

The list of shelters, with notations as to fees is at: http://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=54

The fee shelters in the north tend to be in popular areas (like Mansfield), or gorgeous popular spots like Skyline Lodge. There isn't always a caretaker available to collect fees.

I completely agree with Guthook on resupply options. The main additional option to consider is the Jonesville Post Office, right on the trail and very hiker friendly. They keep a hiker box there. In 2010, they were selling cokes for a quarter to make up for the very popular and welcome soda machine at the Harley Davidson Repair shop across the street (hopefully they still are). I'd add that Bristol is a really sweet place to resupply, though Waitsfield is probably the easier hitch from Ap Gap, I prefer Bristol.

There is also a useful bus system that goes as far North as Burlington, with connections to Bristol and a stop at the LT at Middlebuyry Gap. http://actr-vt.org/snow-bowl-shuttle-bus-map/

Last edited:
Any idea when you'll be out there, Chaco Taco? I'm hoping to do the end-to-end as well this summer, but I don't know exactly when.

From the time I spent in Vermont and the section hikes I did on the LT, my impression is that if you've done the AT, the logistics of the Long Trail should be a walk in the park. There are so many great options for places to resupply (with grocery stores and great restaurants), and there are so many great places to camp. North of Killington, there's fine resupply in Brandon, Middlebury, Waitsfield, Waterbury, Richmond, Stowe, Johnson, and Montgomery Center (although the Johnson supermarket is closed, I think, so you would have to either rely on a mail drop or a longer hitch to Morristown). That's about 7 possible stops (richmond and waterbury are at the same road crossing) in 180 miles. You get the idea.

Not sure yet. Im thinking about the last week in July, I have to be back to start classes at the end of August. I know its one of the worst times to do it but I gotta make do with what I get. I may hike it SOBO too, just still in the dreaming phase. I need to upgrade my footwear to a boot because I just destroy trail runners up here. Im going to go old school on my choice.

Let me know what you guys decide on your time table. Still not sure if Im doing an end to end or just completing the section north of Maine Junction. Going to try to convince my wife between now and then to let me stay out an extra 8 or so days.

Not sure yet. Im thinking about the last week in July, I have to be back to start classes at the end of August. I know its one of the worst times to do it but I gotta make do with what I get. I may hike it SOBO too, just still in the dreaming phase. I need to upgrade my footwear to a boot because I just destroy trail runners up here. Im going to go old school on my choice.

Let me know what you guys decide on your time table. Still not sure if Im doing an end to end or just completing the section north of Maine Junction. Going to try to convince my wife between now and then to let me stay out an extra 8 or so days.

Not sure here, either. There's nothing wrong with late July-- it's June that would be bad. If my plans work out ideally, I'd be looking at August, but I really have no idea at this point. Probably won't have a good idea of it until May.

Dream big... some of it has to come true :)

Not sure here, either. There's nothing wrong with late July-- it's June that would be bad. If my plans work out ideally, I'd be looking at August, but I really have no idea at this point. Probably won't have a good idea of it until May.

Dream big... some of it has to come true :)

I feel like if I want to do it bad enough, it will happen. Just gotta try and save as much as I can to leave the wife for bills and such. She is all for it regardless. Im thinking 4 weeks for the whole thing. Keep me posted on your plans.

I think 4 weeks would be ideal for hiking the LT. If you can only get 3 weeks off work, I'd still say go for it.

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with late July-- it's June that would be bad.

I agree with Guthook, there's nothing wrong with hiking the LT in late July.

In fact, I would say that late July and early August is the ideal times to thru hike the LT. June is usually rainy and has way more bugs. And, in September the trail can be dry and it's a bit harder to find water sources. July and August are ideal for hiking the LT.

newbies.jpg

For most people, I think that having four weeks available would be best. As pedxing said, if you only have three weeks, don't let that stop you. However, in my humble opinion, giving yourself four week will allow you to enjoy the trail and the sights along the way.

My friend, Dicey Jane, and I didn't really plan out our LT trip, besides securing a ride to the trail head, one meet-up along the way with a friend (who ended up taking her boots home), and setting up some emergency contacts. I found that resupplying as you go on the LT is a breeze. Hitching rides in VT is really easy.

Good luck with you preparations!

I think 4 weeks would be ideal for hiking the LT. If you can only get 3 weeks off work, I'd still say go for it.

I just came over from another website to post that I think I am going to just go for it. The wife seems all about it and says that if I can do what I need to do to make it happen, she will come out on the weekends and meet me and hike some of the highlights. This is coming from someone that has thru hiked 3 times. Better do it before we have kids. Super pumped. I need to be back by August 20, at the latest. I figure if I can save a grand, Im gold. :)

I agree with Guthook, there's nothing wrong with hiking the LT in late July.

In fact, I would say that late July and early August is the ideal times to thru hike the LT. June is usually rainy and has way more bugs. And, in September the trail can be dry and it's a bit harder to find water sources. July and August are ideal for hiking the LT.

For most people, I think that having four weeks available would be best. As pedxing said, if you only have three weeks, don't let that stop you. However, in my humble opinion, giving yourself four week will allow you to enjoy the trail and the sights along the way.

My friend, Dicey Jane, and I didn't really plan out our LT trip, besides securing a ride to the trail head, one meet-up along the way with a friend (who ended up taking her boots home), and setting up some emergency contacts. I found that resupplying as you go on the LT is a breeze. Hitching rides in VT is really easy.

Good luck with you preparations!

After I got to Va, I stopped worrying about the planning and just went with it. Ill probably do 4 weeks and just start Nobo instead of Sobo.

I just came over from another website to post that I think I am going to just go for it. The wife seems all about it and says that if I can do what I need to do to make it happen, she will come out on the weekends and meet me and hike some of the highlights. This is coming from someone that has thru hiked 3 times. Better do it before we have kids. Super pumped. I need to be back by August 20, at the latest. I figure if I can save a grand, Im gold. :)

Jeez. I wanna hike with you, now :)

Glad to hear it's working out. Hopefully I'll see you on the trail, or we'll see each other in shelter registers. I can't wait to thru-hike this trail!

Jeez. I wanna hike with you, now :)

Glad to hear it's working out. Hopefully I'll see you on the trail, or we'll see each other in shelter registers. I can't wait to thru-hike this trail!

Well come on brotha. Im hoping to hike with you. Let me know in spring if you want to go out and play. You are like 30-45 mins away from us.

Well come on brotha. Im hoping to hike with you. Let me know in spring if you want to go out and play. You are like 30-45 mins away from us.

Hah. My plans are still in the embryonic phase, but I'll definitely let you know how things progress. If I get around to the LT, regardless of when I'm planning more on the 2-3 week time frame, but we'll see :)

As for being nearby... I do have a strong desire to spend a lot of time in the Whites this winter. Concord is on the way for me. Want to join in for some snowshoeing and such?

Hah. My plans are still in the embryonic phase, but I'll definitely let you know how things progress. If I get around to the LT, regardless of when I'm planning more on the 2-3 week time frame, but we'll see :)

As for being nearby... I do have a strong desire to spend a lot of time in the Whites this winter. Concord is on the way for me. Want to join in for some snowshoeing and such?

Let me know. Just an FYI, never been snowshoeing. Im from NC so we don't get that much in the way of snowshoeing down there.

Johnson re-supply

FYI the major grocery store in Johnson has closed, with no concrete plans to re open -- yet. The Johnson Post Office, restaurants, coffee shop, bookstore, and the fine residents of Johnson are still there!

Figured out my window for hiking. Im planning on 26 days. I have to be back by the August 22 at the absolute latest to start classes. Trying to line it up so I can finish with my wife on the trail with me. and we can have an easy out with the car since we wouldn't have too terribly far of a drive
Looking like Tuesday July 24th and should be able to finish by August 17th.

That should be a great time to hike. I hiked almost exactly those dates on my first LT hike (July 25 to August 15) - it was great time to be out there. I definitely recommend finishing before Late August when the college student group tirps start filling lots of shelters.

My journal on that trip is at http://www.trailjournals.com/pedxingLT/