Hand Warmers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed an ususual amount of "duds" when using the tear open disposable handwarmers this year?. It may be a case of old stock on the part of the store and my own personal stash, but over the last few hikes, the majority of the heat packs just didnt fire off. I normally store them in a ziplock bag and leave the factory packaging in place for a long as possible. I had picked up some "fresh ones' which didnt have an obvious expiration date for a hike on Sunday and even those didnt work very well

I thought it was just me, but Sue (Trailtrotter) had commented that she had been having similiar issues.

I have used 2 or 3 year old heat packs in the past without similiar issues, so I am curious if there has been a change in the design. Complete speculation on my part is that they may have designed them to run at a lower temperature to reduce potential lawsuits?

The last ones I used had very low heat output to the point that they were barely worth it. I thought they were old but now I have to wonder.

Some of the ones in the past have been so hot it couldn't have direct contact with skin. Like Mc Donalds, I wonder, if someone claimed they got "burned"?

It's not like you can "test" them out first. If they feel chunky within the package, I consider them gone, but if they feel flexible, I hold out hope. Guess I'll have to rethink that. One solution is to make sure you never have to count on them for anything, but staying at home where it is safe and warm is not an option for me. :p

Interesting. Which brand of hand warmers had this DUD problem?

My wife just picked up a 40 pack of Hot Hands warmers from BJ's Wholesale, whose expiration period is about 4 years from now. Haven't tried them out yet.

Thanks,
Marty

If they are chunky or solid they are definitely no good. If you are the type who is always going to use them, open them in the car on the way up. If they get hot right away, put them in a ziplock and squeeze out all the air. Then you can start them back up.

I've had decent luck if I use them on Saturday, sealing them up and getting some more mileage Sunday, or maybe even if I ride Monday AM.

Another trick is to give them maximum oxygen (air flow) during the first few minutes. Loose in your bare hand in your pockets works pretty well. Once warm, then put them in your mittens. Windblock mittens of course will tend to starve them of O2.

Of course it is always best to keep your hands as dry as possible to avoid the need (I accept of course that some people will need them anyway) as much as possible. To this end, I usually bring 3 or 4 glove liners, and hike glove-less if I am warm enough. Most of you know by now that I am, uh, efficient in my cooling mechanisms ("I sweat like a pig")...

Tim

I've always gotten a "dud" every now and then, and yes, you can almost always tell in advance by the feel. The "Grabber Mycoal" brand seems to be the best; I have gotten more duds with off brand "Hotties" (EMS) "Toasty Toes" (WM), etc.

I use handwarmers every day and had the worse luck with them last year and this year UNTIL I DISCOVERED LLBEAN HANDWARMERS! :D:D: Prior to this great find I used Hotties and Hot Hands.

WHAT A FIND. They are like the other used to be.
Regardless of where I bought them, they were terrible.

On days like this I can use one LLBEAN and alternate it. They did tell me they are very popular. I don't wonder why.
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/52173?feat=sr

Last edited:
Thanks for the warning Dennis...I've been carrying some of these around for years, I rarely use them, so it's a good reminder to have some fresh ones.

And thanks for the recommendation Maddy...just ordered some hand warmers and toe warmers from LL Bean. Nice to see that there's free shipping and no minimum order.

My doctor always laughs when I tell her that some of my prescription sleeping medication has duds. I know, though, when I'm still awake at 2:00 AM. Most times I'm "out" a half hour later. And they are supposed to be a controlled sort of substance? No wonder there are duds in handwarmers.

I believe I had both "Hot Hands" and "Grabbers" have less than good performances. I will give the LL Beans a shot, thanks maddy!

I havent used them often in the past but when I did, they were needed and after some borderline frostbite a few years back, I use them more often. I also on occasion hike with newer hikers on Meetup events, and on occasion I end up handing some out as the alternative is for someone to have a bad day.

Now if I could figure a way of reworking the heaters used in MRE's, just add water and they crank up to boiling.

Some of the ones in the past have been so hot it couldn't have direct contact with skin. Like Mc Donalds, I wonder, if someone claimed they got "burned"?
I don't have a package handy, but they come with a warning NOT to touch them directly, don't they? At least they used to....

We've had the same issue for three and a half years; Alex needs hand warmers on almost every cold-weather hike. She has not been diagnosed, but I wouldn't be surprised if she has Reynaud's Syndrome. I carry at least 6 packs on every hike in case some of them are duds -- in our experience, 1 out of 3 don't work very well (or at all). We've only used Hotties and Hot Hands, and I've been careful to check expirations dates before buying.

Maddy, thanks for the tip, we'll have to try the LL Bean version.

Fortunately for you. I have Raynaud's Syndrome, and if I let my hands get cold, it does not matter how many layers I am wearing, they will not warm up unless I warm them up, either with vigorous exercise, and/or hand warmers.

Thanks for that link. When I was involved in teaching winter hiking skills I met several people with Raynauds, and their experiences with cold hands parallels yours. Some would also show me the ring of blue a few inches above their wrist once the Syndrome was triggered.

Have personally observed lots of blue fingers, but had never seen yellow ones before those photos.

Last edited:
I've been carrying them for years and never use them. I was aware that you had to throw them out when they get hard but I can see I should check out a few from time to time and see if they work. It would be too bad if the one time I needed them they didn't work. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks for that link. When I was involved in teaching winter hiking skills I meet several people with Raynauds, and their experiences with cold hands parallels yours. Some would also show me the ring of blue a few inches above their wrist once the Syndrome was triggered.

Have personally observed lots of blue fingers, but had never seen yellow ones before those photos.
In my experience, that color is a little off. I would say it is more white than anything, with a little flesh tone thrown in.

Winter hiking presents challenges. If I just kept moving, I'd usually be fine, but that would dehydrate me, and leave me very hungry. :( Not to mention I'd miss all the views. :D