Getting soaked in the Sewards 12/21/11 (Adirondacks)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSettahr

Reaction score
dscn3732n.jpg

For More Pictures Click Here

Did Seward/Donaldson/Emmons/Donaldson today from the summer trailhead in Coreys. My plan had been to attempt S/D/E- I already had Seymour in winter from last season. I wasn't sure if I was going to get all three, a recent cold combined with the miserable forecast conspired me to take it easy- I would've been satisfied with just two of the peaks- yet I found surmounting all three to be much easier than I'd expected.

The drive in went pretty easy and quickly- I'd heard that the road was icy, but found this not to be the case (although it changed before I left- more on that later!). I got to the trailhead at 6 am, and was soon hiking in.

I did the section to the start of the herd path at a leisurely yet steady pace, and traversed the 4 miles in about and hour and a half. As I passed the junction with the Calkins Brook truck trail, I noticed a headlamp down the road, which seemed to be headed towards me. Not sure who would be headed out at that hour, or what their business was, but I didn't stick around to find out.

By the time I reached the start of the herd path, it was light out. At first the going was easy, and I had plenty of old tracks to follow. As I climbed, however, the snow got deep enough to obscure the old tracks, but the herd path was still pretty obvious. The ice that I encountered, on the other hand, was much more of an obstacle, and I soon donned my microspikes. Some sections were pretty steep and exposed, and crampons certainly would've been better, but microspikes worked ok as long as I was careful. Not too far from the summit, I ran into a group of three who had started at 4 am, had already done Emmons/Donaldson/Seward, and were headed to Seymour.

I kept up the leisurely yet steady pace, and reached the summit of Seward about 2 and a half hours after I left the truck trail. The summit was pretty well socked in by the clouds, with no views whatsoever. After a quick break, I started towards Donaldson. Not too long after leaving the summit, it started to rain- lightly at first, then steadily, but never too hard. There were some sketchy ice flows to deal with on the south side of Seward, and again crampons would've made things much easier, but I was able to manage with microspikes.

In contrast to the steep ascent up the north face of Seward, the ascent of Donaldson was much more gradual, with only 1 or 2 tricky ice flows to deal with. Before long, I'd found the junction with the Calkins Brook herd path, and soon was passing the summit bolder of Donaldson. By this point, the rain and the melting snow on the trees had conspired to make me soaking wet, both inside and out- although the temperatures were warm enough that I wasn't uncomfortable as long as I kept moving.

The trek to Emmons was a bit longer than I remembered, although it's been more than 3 years since I was last there. Not too difficult, and again 1 or 2 tricky ice flows to deal with, but nothing major. I reached the summit about 2 hours after I'd left Seward, not too long after noon.

At this point, I was certainly ready to get down off the mountain, and so after a quick snack I started back. On the way back to Donaldson, I ran into a group of four that was also doing Seward/Donaldson/Emmons via the same route as I- they started a few minutes after me and had been following my footsteps all morning. Near the summit of Donaldson, I also ran into Nancy/HighOnLife and a friend of hers. They'd started that morning with Seymour, and were doing all 4 in the range.

As I descended the Calkins Brook herd path, I was reminded why this is now the preferred approach to the Seward Range. Very little ice and practically no steep sections- a much nicer hike than the herd path up the north side of Seward! It's a bit longer though, and when one is wet and starting to get cold, it does seem to meander on and on. Nonetheless, before long I was back at the Calkins Brook truck trail and quickly heading back to the trailhead.

By this point, pretty much 99% of the snow at lower elevations had melted, and the woods looked completely different compared to that morning. Even the frost in the ground was starting to melt, and every once in a while my foot crushed through the surface layer of dirt into a hollow chamber that had resulted from frost heave.

I made it back to the trailhead by 4 pm, 10 hours after I'd started. I never would've thought that a winter hike of the three Sewards would go this quickly- the lack of snow certainly contributed to my being able to keep up a steady pace all day. Now is certainly a good opportunity for aspiring winter 46ers to knock of some of the more remote peaks!

The drive out was a bit tricky- the melting snow had revealed a lot of ice on the road. Some sections I had to pump the breaks a bit to maintain control, but as long as I went slowly and cautiously I was fine. I had brought tire chains just in case but didn't use them. I can imagine that after things solidify tonight, the road will be pretty interesting for the next few days, though. Definitely 4WD, AWD, studded tires or tire chains just in case are a must.

It's definitely a relief to have the big three "remote" High Peak trips (Sewards, Santanonis, and Allen) out of the way for my winter 46. I've only got 9 left now... the end is in sight!

Very nice. Thanks for the great info. Did you carry snowshoes at all? I hope the conditions don't change for a week or so. Mike

Very nice. Thanks for the great info. Did you carry snowshoes at all? I hope the conditions don't change for a week or so. Mike

Nope, didn't even bother bringing snowshoes. There were 1 or 2 spots where the snow had drifted deep enough that flotation would have been nice, but overall, snowshoes would've been much more of a hindrance than an aid- far to much rocks and lumpy ice sticking up through the snow!

You sound just like a new 46R report I received today “We were drenched from head to toe, but this was one of the most enjoyable hikes I can remember” talking about one of his past summer climb!

You sound just like a new 46R report I received today “We were drenched from head to toe, but this was one of the most enjoyable hikes I can remember” talking about one of his past summer climb!

Yeah, overall I was in pretty good spirits. For a winter climb, it honestly wasn't that difficult- I was surprised at how easy it seemed (except for some of the icy patches), how much energy I still had at the end of the day, and that I finished while it was still light out. As I stated, I'm getting over a cold, and I had debated waiting another day or two... but I decided to at least give it a shot, and take a leisurely yet steady pace. My goal had been to get at least Seward and Donaldson, but that leisurely yet steady pace kept me going pretty good, all the way to Emmons and back without any complaints!

It also just goes to show how much more energy snow and colder temperatures will take out of you... I'm used to finishing most of my winter hikes exhausted and in the dark!