Year-End Hike Plans

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
Updated 12/23 ~8:30am with start times. Planned route details are listed further down in the thread.

Here's our rough plan for 12/26 - 12/31.....

Monday – Cabot

Target on-trail time from the trailhead on York Pond Road is 8:30am.

Wednesday - Bonds Traverse (headlights on each end)

Target meet time at Lincoln Woods to spot vehicle(s) is 4:30am. From there we’ll consolidate gear and head to the trailhead lot on Route 302 in Twin Mountain. Expected on-trail time is 6:00am, or perhaps a little earlier.

Friday – Isolation

Target on-trail time from the Rocky Branch trailhead on Route 16 south of PNVC is 7:30am.

Saturday - Middle Carter

Target on-trail time from the Nineteen Mile Brook trailhead on Route 16 north of PNVC is 8:30am.

Anybody want to join the fun?

We hike a moderate pace, which is around book time or a little more.

If you’re interested in joining the fun or have any questions, please respond to this thread or by PM.

:D

Last edited:
Tuesday - we both go to work
Wednesday - we both go to work
Thursday - we both go to work
Friday - we both go to work
Saturday - Sabrina goes to work
Sunday - Sabrina goes to work

:(

I'll be up north from Monday to Saturday. I'd be interested in the Bonds and possibly Iso. I'll wait to see your more detailed plans, and the weather before I commit.;)

Here's our rough plan for 12/26 - 12/31.....

Monday - Cabot

Wednesday - Bonds Traverse (headlights on each end)

Friday - Isolation

Saturday - Middle Carter or Moriah

If there's anything of interest, the timing details will be sorted out later today and tomorrow.

Anybody want to join the fun?

We hike a moderate pace, which is around book time or a little more.

If you’re interested in joining the fun or have any questions, please respond to this thread or by PM.

The foot feeling better?

For those that are curious about some details, here you go.

These are subject to minor tweaks........

Hike Details:

Monday: Cabot (R/T Totals: 9.6 miles, 2400 feet)

Round trip hike from Berlin Fish Hatchery via York Pond Trail, Bunnell Notch Trail, and Kilkenny Ridge Trail.

Target start from the trailhead on York Pond Road: 8:30am

Wednesday: Bonds Traverse – including Zealand, of course (Totals: north-south 23.3 miles, 4350 Feet, +200 feet for south-north)

Traverse from Rte. 302 winter lot in Twin Mountain to Lincoln Woods (or the reverse – still discussing). Target on-trail early (before 6:00am, possibly closer to 5:00am) Expected finish 8:00 - 9:00pm.

Friday: Isolation (Totals: 15.0 miles, 3800 feet)

Round trip hike via Rocky Branch Trail, Engine Hill Bushwhack, Isolation Trail, Davis Path, and Isolation Spur.

Target start from the Rocky Branch trailhead lot: 7:30am

Saturday: Middle Carter (Totals: ~8 miles, 3500 feet)

Round trip from Nineteen Mile Brook trailhead via Camp Dodge shortcut, Imp Trail, North Carter Trail, and Carter Moriah Trail. Depending on interest, we may turn this into a loop and continue to South Carter and exit via Zeta Pass on Carter Dome Trail and Nineteen Mile Brook Trail.

Target start from NMB Trailhead: 8:30am (this time should be good for a R/T or loop).

I'll be up north from Monday to Saturday. I'd be interested in the Bonds and possibly Iso. I'll wait to see your more detailed plans, and the weather before I commit.;)
C'mon Joe, join the party!

From the National Weather Service for the target area.....

Wednesday: Partly sunny, with a high near 25.

As winter conditions go - That's nice!

:cool:

I may just join you for the fun on Monday. Cabot sounds fun:)
Great! Please remember to bring Kali.

:)

change wednesdays hike to tuesday and I am in:D
Sorry, but I can't.

:(

Last edited:
Hmm, I do have Monday off... and I hear the loop from the hatchery road is very nice...

edit: oops, didn't realize you didn't plan the loop. I'd still love to join you for an out and back. :)

Last edited:
Hmm, I do have Monday off... and I hear the loop from the hatchery road is very nice...

edit: oops, didn't realize you didn't plan the loop. I'd still love to join you for an out and back. :)
It should be a good day. The planned on-trail time from the trailhead lot on York Pond Road is 8:30am - I hope to see you then.

I'll most likely be in Earl. ZeaBonds is high priority for that week.
Great. We'll have a good group for the day and the predicted conditions look really good.

Hi Earl,

As we discussed, Ridgewalker (Clarke) and I are delighted to join the Isolation Expedition on Friday :cool::D

Best regards,
Marty

Good news! See you and Ridgewalker on Friday.

The forecast for the Cabot hike looks pretty good.

Sue and I will target reaching the trailhead around 8:00am or a little after. As it stands, I believe there are three other humans and one canine to be with us (Hikerhmh, Kali, Peak576, and JacobH). I hope everybody is still able to join the fun.

I'll periodically check the thread until early evening and then will not check again until tomorrow night. If you're interested in this hike, feel free to just show up and be ready to go for 8:30am.

Looks like the week will be a nice string of MicroSpike hikes. I plan to check the thread again for the other hikes starting tomorrow night.

Hi Earl, I got back in town early, I hope to join you on Cabot in the morning. I am trying a diferetn boot combination and if works out, may be able to join you for at least one of the others. Honk when you drive by ;)

By the way, the roads were slippery all the way up throuhg Pinkham, NHDOT salting heavilly so shouldnt be an issue but watch for black ice

Hi Earl, I got back in town early, I hope to join you on Cabot in the morning. I am trying a diferetn boot combination and if works out, may be able to join you for at least one of the others. Honk when you drive by ;)

By the way, the roads were slippery all the way up throuhg Pinkham, NHDOT salting heavilly so shouldnt be an issue but watch for black ice

Outstanding!

If you hear a wimpy horn blowing in the morning it's probably my Chevy Silverado pickup for wimps. I don't get it - they were able to put a real truck drivetrain in the thing but installed a Prius horn.

:rolleyes:

Really hope to see you in the morning.

Yesterday on Cabot went well. We had a fun hike with Peakbagger, Peak576, Kody, Sue, and me. Good crew!

Tomorrow's hike to The Bonds is on as advertised. We're expecting some possible snow showers and moderate wind in the afternoon. There are currently five planning to hike which means there is room for more.

We have a 4:30am meet time at Lincoln Woods and a 5:30 - 6:00am target on-trail time from Route 302 in Twin Mountain. I'm hoping for closer to 5:30 but it will probably be closer to 6:00am.

We should have a good day cruising The Bonds.

I wish I could join you but I'm doing Owl's Head on Thursday and do not have the legs for a Bond trip then Owl's Head the next day. Be safe!

P.S. Might join you on Saturday. Isolation would be pushing it for me the day after OH.

Last edited: