Sherpa Binding - Another question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
In my quest to locate a decent alternative to the old-style nylon strap Sherpa Binding, I've located a complete, new-in-the-bag, Sherpa "Classic" binding. It has aggressive crampons, but not as aggressive as the Tucker Bindings.

I've have quite a long drive to go look at the Classic Bindings. Can anyone tell me whether they are any good and an improvement over what I have now on my 2 pairs of Sherpas?

Thanks

Well I've been through my old and not so old Sherpa info, trying to keep up with the various name changes..and a visit to it's web site.
I think the Classic Binding ( flexible binding) should be the old "Standard Binding" that were regular issue unless the Tucker Claw option was requested.
So the Classic Binding should be with an 1-1/8" Aluminum Claw so if that is the case and your faced with old tucks or new Classics, I would swap right over to the Classics...when I had ordered my Tucks it was debated if they had any more "purchase" than the standard....each having an advantage depending on snow depth. The Standard was supposed to have better grip on snow and the Tuckers better grip on the crusty stuff.
So the difference in 2'' of new snow would be pretty negligible one way or the other.

So before I say go for the long drive I'd have to make sure the Standard and the Classic are one in the same...if they are I would go for it..

The potato scraper

There used to be the Tucker, the alpine, and another one that could have been the classic. The non-tucker bindings were known to have much less traction than the tucker. One friend referred to them as the potato scraper as they resembeld one and were, perhaps, more suitable to scaping potatoes than winter mountaineering.

Bear in mind that these bindings are used by many and will serve quite well for many conditions. Of course, tuckers are better on anything crusty or icy. Some people might say that the alpine or classic are worthless when it's crusty or icy. Others would say that you should be in crampons for those conditions anyway. Opinions.

If you are getting an older binding make sure it has the toe strap. Binding without the toe strap to not adequately prevent your feet from sliding forward when your rapidly descending.

Now here's a hint. On the older Sherpa bindings (the white ones, not black), a resourcefull person can bolt on extended metal claws using the existing bolt holes. You need to have some mechanical ability, tools and appropriate materials. Old crampon pieces or just some 1.5" x 1.5" x 1/8" thick stainless steel angle (with teeth cut into it) can turn a potato scraper into a formibable claw. This type of modification can also correct the problem of the fron two claws bending back. I've used one design well for about 15 yrs of NE US rock and snow shoeing

JHS

I know the Tubbs T 91 bindings with their Viper Crampons will fit Sherpas. I had done that with the Trackers and newer Mountains. I only had to trim about 1/8 in. off the decking at the toe area. I like the T91's better anyway as the newer Sherpa bindings I had called " Lotus Comfort" would let my heel pitch way over to the side and the toe area would slip up over the front stop.

The Tubbs step in bindings might work also.

Spider, Roy, John, Capt:

Thanks for the feedback. I'm probably gonna have to go look at them. The good part is that I can combine the trip with a hike.

I was assured that these are not the Regular or Alpine binding that Sherpa sold for years. The ones with the soft nylon strap bindings, nor are they Tuckers. He told me that they have a different binding system, and thats what I want to look at. I think the potato grinder version is the Sherpa binding with the small, serrated teeth. Those came in 2 versions, aluminum or stainless steel teeth. Both of my Sherpas have the s.s. teeth and in hundreds of trips, they are still in good shape. The small aluminum teeth look good in the store and work OK so long as you avoid rock or hard crust or ice (yeah, right).

I have a spare set of Tubbs bindings, Control Wings(with a ratchet instead of the TD91s) and have been seeing if I can somehow use the existing crampon portion of the Sherpas underneath, and the Control Wings on top. I've been reluctant to do surgery on the Shepa bindings which is why I've been looking for a decent Sherpa brand binding.

Thanks again