Snowmobile mountain climb and crash

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
very cool video!

awsome! I even made my girlfriend watch it to distract her from burning more stuff in a cooking frenzy for xmas eve dinner tonight.She says"why is he going after it".I say,"its worth thousands"...she says "not any more":D

It's amazing that it takes the sled such a short time to reach the top, when it takes what seems like an eternity for it to reach the bottom!

I can't imagine anyone standing there while part of the snowmachine is coming bouncing down the chute towards them.
A good way to get oneself killed... If not by hitting rock or being hit by the falling machine, then by the avalanche that you trigger onto yourself.

Note that the driver didn't have the sense to get out of the center of the chute when he stopped.

There is a related sport called highmarking--the sledder goes up a wide slope and turns to the side just before he starts to backslide. The one who leaves the highest mark is the winner. And sometimes they die in avalanches that they trigger...

I'm sure some skiers were salivating over that couloir.

Doug

This is called high-marking among the cognoscenti. One of the leading causes of avalanche deaths among snowmobilers. Been there, seen that, helped dig out the aftermath .....

(EDIT: I didn't mean to imply any correction of Doug's post -- should have looked at it thoroughly before posting mine. :eek: )

Crazy. Linking back to the earlier part of the thread - when we were heli skiing in BC about 12 years ago, highmarking was just catching on. On eof the things our guide told us was that these morons put so much value on their machines that if they had a transceiver, it would be attached to the machine "so they could find the machine." Even then, there had already been several avalanche deaths where the machine was found quickly by searchers.