Seward trailhead parking this weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillman1

Reaction score
I will be hiking the Sewards this weekend, and the gate to the summer parking is open as of right now. Snow is in the forecast. This is for anyone local to the area. If it were to snow while I am in there, would they leave the gate open so I can get my car out, or would it be locked in until I got ahold of someone to let me out? What are the chances of this even being an issue? I'm doubting there will be a big enough dump to strand my vehicle, I just don't want the gate locked when I drive out. Any ideas from the vftt crew in that area?

I do not recall a gate. My recollection is that they simply don't plow beyond the bridge. After a foot of snow, that can be inconvenient.

Coreys Road parking

There is definitely a gate just past the bridge - at least it was there last December. (Trust me - When hiking the Sewards in the winter you will begin hallucinating that the gate is just around the next corner :eek: ) As of Nov. 4 the road was still open.
Here's the web address for trail information in the Adirondacks:

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/reg5/hptrails.html

If you have any concerns, you can call the DEC Raybrook location: 518-897-1200. Last year I think they closed the gate around mid-December, but there were also a couple of big snow storms. I imagine DEC can tell you when they plan to close the gate.

L-

stony creek bridge/gate

One afternoon in the early part of last december I drove about 1.25 mile past the gate in lousy,"white knuckle", 4WD conditions. fortunately there was a semblance of a turnaround and I parked my truck. then I skied the next two miles to the summer trail register and continued on to Caulkins Brook. I came back to the register at darkness to be surprised by a woman forest ranger. She remarked that she was locking the gate for the season and was considerate enough to check for any vehicles such as mine. we skied together in the dark back to my truck and I drove out closing the gate behind me that she then locked. Although I took the risk to drive beyond the gate on a seasonally maintained road, I was very glad she checked before stranding me.

The Forest Ranger for that area is Julie Harjung and can be reached through the DEC Ray Brook office. I have her home phone number if you want to email me. She should be the most reliable source of info regarding the gate which is located beyond the horse assembly parking area just past stony creek bridge. It is almost 3.5 miles from the bridge to the summer trailhead. so if hiking the seward range isn't tough enough, try adding almost seven more miles to the distance like we winter hikers love to do. just ask christine.

I'll just call the ray brook office and see what they have to say. I've done the road in winter, it's not that bad on skis. Winter in the sewards is a great time...

Anyone planning to head out there the first week of winter? (Sorry for the hijack)

Last year on Dec. 14 I drove past the gate, but because of icy conditions, stopped at the top of the first significant hill in the road. There was a big snowstorm that day, and several more inches a few days later. At least 2 vehicles got stuck, and soon after, the gate was supposedly locked. So if there's a fair amount of snow, the DEC may decide to lock the gate to prevent such mishaps. However, on opening day, Dec 21, a 4WD vehicle passed those of us who hiked from the bridge. They were also hikers, probably not associated with the private land beyond the trailhead.
In previous years on 12/21when there was usually a lot less snow than last year, it's been very common for 4WD vehicles to drive in to the summer trailhead.
When the gate gets locked may depend in part on when the private land owners are done using the road for the season.
So with all these unknowns, do like others have said: Call DEC to find out. And if you do, please post their reply on this site! Thanks.

I did call the dec in ray brook, and they told me to call the local ranger. I did, but she was out in the field. The gate is open as of now. She knows we will be in there( I left her a message), and I hope to drive the road if weather permits.

You should be okay, there's no huge storms in the forecast. Friend I hike with says he always carries bolt cutters for just this occassion ;) (getting locked in, not to 'get in').

I'm sure you already left, but for anyone else, I just got in from hiking Adams (from the UW trailhead). You won't have any problems, just a dusting of snow in the valley. There actually isn't a whole lot up high either. Not much expected in the next couple days as Kevin (stoopid) says.

Up higher, it is getting winter-like though. Adams tops out at 3500' and we needed the crampons above 3000'. A brisk 18.1 degrees with a 10 MPH breeze up on the tower though. Still not a ton of snow, but it's icing up nice.

You guys will have a ball. Enjoy.

Last edited:
The Curse

There is a gate and it is bright yellow, a beautiful bright yellow. I'm quite sure they won't lock you in. Good luck. And remember the "Curse of the Sewards" No one comes back the same person. Three winter trips to complete the Sewards and I was a changed man. The Calkins brook approach is a hot tip for the three leaving Seymour for another day. I may be helping a friend in there Dec. 28-30 but that is our plan B. Conditions will dictate. Hey Hillman 1 I live in Scriba!

I just got back from the trip. Great time. I met the ranger for the area, and she is super friendly, although she is quite certain that there is only 1 plane wreck on seward(if anyone can call her about the second one she would appreciate it, as she is in charge of that type of thing). The pictures will be up this week on Neils site, and the pics from the slide on seymour should be great. I would not attempt that area without crampons right now, and I've read posts from people saying ice axes are never needed...we didn't have them, but they would have been appreciated. The gate will be open until at least 12/5 when deer season ends. This was my fourth trip into the sewards, and I like it more every time.

Steep uphill rivers of water ice intertwining through a surrealistic land of huge icicles, wet snow and red moss. Rekee's right about the changed person thing. I can't wait to go back.