East Osceola & Osceola Hike on Dec 24 2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomoko

Reaction score
Trail Conditions: From Kanc, we used Greeley Pond Trail to Osceola Trail to reach E. Osceola then, Osceola. It was 7.6 RT hike.
NOAA Weather forecast was all day cloudy with 40% chance of snow. But it turned out one of the best day to do Winter Hike. We saw clear sky all day long and there was no snowing. Snow accumulation on the trail is approx 2-3 inches at the beginning. At higher elevation, we observed 3-4 inches of snow. We broke the trail all the way to E Osceola and Osceola with Microspikes. There are many areas which were very icy underneath of snow. We did slight bushwhacking to avoid stepping on ice. We took ledges right side of Chimney between E. Osceola and Osceola and I slipped both legs with microspikes and I was almost falling down. It took so long time to get back where I was. Once we reached to the Osceola, we ate lunch quickly, then, I switched to Alum. C.A.M.P. Crampons from Microspikes. This made so easy to hike out. No slipping on ice under the snow anymore. Only issue with real crampons is where there are many rocks and less snow. I tried not to twist ankle on non-flat rocky areas and my legs were so tired to keep my body balance.

Small Brook Crossing Conditions: There are 2 small brook crossing at the beginning of the hike at Greeley Pond Trail. Brook is partially frozen but when I stepped on, I heard noise of ice cracking. I'm small person. So please be careful, if you're big person! Since width of the brook is not wide, I believe you can find out the place you can cross it easily.

Necessary Gear: Microspikes were NOT enough. Either Hill Sound Crampons or real hiking crampons are needed and much safer choice for Osceola Trail on Dec 24, 2011.

Last edited: