down booties

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdl

Reaction score
I received a pair of Mountain Hardwear Hunker Down Booties for Christmas. I have a very difficult time getting my foot into these - the opening doesn't seem to be adjustable and is just too small for my foot. They're sized appropriately for my 9.5 shoe size. Any one else have these and have a similar issue ?

I'm going to take them back to EMS and try on the next larger size to see if there's much difference.

If not, any suggestions on other down booties ?

Thanks and hope everyone had a Merry Christmas...

I have the EMS brand down booties, and they fit me fine.

Definitely worth while have a pair of booties that fits your feet appropriately. Having them on winter overnights can make a huge difference in your comfort level in camp at night! :)

EMS website doesn't seem to have EMS brand down booties. Only down booties on the site are the Mountain Hardwear brand. And they're having a post Christmas sale on them at $27.50 with free shipping.

Yeah, it seems that they've been discontinued.

REI has some on clearance now.
Read the reviews... :(

Way back when when I bought my booties (mid-to-late 1970s), I was advised to get polyester rather than down because they tend to get wet. I was also advised to put a felt insole in them to increase the insulation-under-foot. I did both and they have worked well ever since. FWIW, they have a cordura sole which gives some friction, is waterproof, and has worn very well.

Doug

I only wear my down booties in and around camp, and I've never had a problem with them getting wet. Before taking my snowshoes off and changing out of my boots, I make sure to stamp down paths in and around camp so that I'm not ever stepping into deep snow with my booties on.

I've also found that it's typically pretty easy to brush snow off of the booties before climbing into my sleeping bag, so I've never had any problems with melted snow inside my bag.

Another option is to get overboots... Neos is one such brand. They are basically like a shell boot that fits over the booties and provides a waterproof outer layer.

I only wear my down booties in and around camp, and I've never had a problem with them getting wet. Before taking my snowshoes off and changing out of my boots, I make sure to stamp down paths in and around camp so that I'm not ever stepping into deep snow with my booties on.

I've also found that it's typically pretty easy to brush snow off of the booties before climbing into my sleeping bag, so I've never had any problems with melted snow inside my bag.
Mine have never become noticeably wet either, but that is the advice that I received. I wouldn't be surprised if it depends on snow conditions and precip. However, if they ever do get wet, I will be much happier with polyester than I would be with down.

Another option is to get overboots... Neos is one such brand. They are basically like a shell boot that fits over the booties and provides a waterproof outer layer.
Make sure you have some tread on the overboots --many of them have a smooth soles (and are expected to be used with external traction). People have died because they stepped out of the tent in their (smooth soled) overboots... (They were camping on a steep icy slope.)

Booties can be improvised from waterproof stuffsacks over dry socks if need be. They will be warmer (particularly if you wear them for an extended period) if you use a plastic bag VBL to keep the socks dry.

Doug

Make sure you have some tread on the overboots --many of them have a smooth soles (and are expected to be used with external traction). People have died because they stepped out of the tent in their (smooth soled) overboots... (They were camping on a steep icy slope.)

Wouldn't the same warning also apply to down booties? ;) :) I have yet to see a brand of down booties with a tread...

DougPaul said:
Wouldn't the same warning also apply to down booties? ;) :) I have yet to see a brand of down booties with a tread...
Sure--the suggestion was intended to apply to any booty. I wasn't suggesting any dramatic tread--the cordura sole (rough surface fabric) on my booties has given me adequate traction for camping and walking on reasonably level ground.

The reviews of the REI booties suggest that they have a much smoother sole.

For the improvised stuffsack booties, use a nylon duck stuffsack rather than a silnylon stuffsack. (Cordura would be even better, but I don't think I have ever seen a cordura stuffsack. They would be easy enough to sew up...)

I don't really know what is currently available--my old ones are still going strong.

Doug

Last edited:
If not, any suggestions on other down booties ?

You didn't mention in what conditions you anticipated their use. It would make a difference in my decision.

I have the feathered friends and have been happy with their performance in dry and wet conditions, summer and winter.

I would prefer synthetic to down booties, but they're hard to find. I believe wildthings was making primaloft booties before their departure from backcountry to military users.

I have Sierra Designs down booties and love them. Don't remember where I bought them, but I think they're available through campmor.com.

I have the MEC booties with synthetic insulation and love them. I wore them as hut slippers at the Alpine Club of Canada's hut in Keene, NY over the Christmas week-end. I bring two small squares of closed cell fowm to sit on and to rest my feet on when winter camping and find that most satisfactory. It is a delicious feeling to take off my boots (leather or plastic) and put on the booties when I get to camp.

BTW, I have never worn them in my sleeping bag.

I just received my Hunker Downs (I have a 9.5 foot) and got a Large based on some reviews. Very tight getting your foot in (my foot is narrow too) and I did this without socks but then too large once my foot was within the slipper. I'm going to try to exchange for a Med.

I chose these over the REI brand due to no shipping and what seemed to be "better reviews.