S&N stream crossing NOT - 12/26/11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nundagao

Reaction score
Yesterday morning I walked in to Indian Pass Brook to check it out for my hike tomorrow, and found that I could either cross the stream or I could stray dry, but I couldn't do both. The usual rock-hop is submerged and what little ice there is is far too thin. Maybe Irene moved some of the boulders that used to be there. There was a note in the register about a possible crossing 500' upstream. I think I found the place they meant but the rocks only extend a little past midstream; then there's about a 4-5' gap with no rocks, only ice, to jump from or to land on. I met up with a group of three at that spot and one of their party went for it. He made it across but the ice cracked and the sound was ominous enough to disuade anyone from following. On his return he broke through completely 3-4 times. Thanks to gaiters, good boots, and quick action he got back OK. Street and Nye can wait until conditions improve. I'm going with Plan B tomorrow, which is A&I. I hope whoever finds the crossing frozen enough to be doable will post a TR for us poachers to take advantage of it!