1979 Photos: Construction of Mount Washington summit facilities

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool. I wonder what the story is about the crane lying on its side. Oops.

Cool.

What a mess that must have been while construction was ongoing, though. Anyone here see it firsthand?

Cool.

What a mess that must have been while construction was ongoing, though. Anyone here see it firsthand?

I bet there are some here who could say they did see it first hand, and from photos of part 1, many at AMC who could give a talk on it!! Photo 5 looks like a real north country character, but he had some political pull!!

Thank you for posting the two photo links. That "north country character" has a few things named after him, and was instrumental in the Kanc becoming a maintained road in winter around the same year. In the next photo (6 in group 1) you can see he is wearing shorts during the ground-breaking. Wonder if he hiked up, or possibly down after the ceremony?

In group 2, photo 6, the man walking right next to the crane looks like Thornton's Bill Buckner :cool:

I was up there on September 1 of that year and I know I have some slides somewhere in my closet, but I don’t remember much off the top of my head.

I’m picturing that tower being in a stage somewhere between the third and thirteenth photos of Part 2.

The previous summit house was still open; I had some lunch in the cafeteria.

Didn’t get up there again until 1997.