Hiking in the winter with a Lab

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongoose

Reaction score
Hi everyone. This is my first winter hiking in the Whites with my dog. He's a Labrador Retriever. We did local hikes in the park last winter and he loves it. He goes swimming when it's only 20F out! He'll break the ice, swim for a bit then come out with ice on his fur. That can't be healthy but he does it anyways... He's never acted cold or tired. I was going to hike with him today but the temps are around 0 and I'm not sure if that's too cold for him?

I'm sure there are Lab owners here that hike in the Whites. Do you need a jacket and booties for him? What's the coldest your dogs hiked in? Do you have any suggestions for stuff to bring?

Labs were originally breed by fishermen of the coast of Canada to retrieve lines. They (at least mine) love the water and cold. Have taken mine out in from single digits and up with no problems. I cannot recall if I have done hikes with her below zero. No jacket or booties for mine.

Hardest part on cold hikes is keeping her out of any water. but than again anyone with a lab has this problem.

I've known several Labs that worked as SAR dogs in cold conditions (AK, MN and New England.) Your sounds like it's perfectly suited to cold weather. Many Labs are used for retrieving ducks and geese in icy water.

Just watch for footpad injury when it gets really cold. Dogs with shorter coats (even double coats like Labs) often need to be moving (or sheltered) to stay warm when it's below 15º F. The biggest risk is probably right at the start of a hike on a cold morning, while he's waiting for you to get ready at the trailhead.

IMO, booties are a must. Snow balling in their paws was her only real issue. Plan on buying two sets, as I've lost a few over time.

I did get a fleece-lined, orange nylon shell jacket that she would wear if it was really cold...like 0. Otherwise, she never showed any signs of any issues with the cold. She would swim in the winter streams, too, and other than ice hanging off her, she looked normal.

I might get booties in case he cuts a foot. If he's not used to wearing them it might not help to start using them in the middle of a hike though.

I encourage you to bring him along a little at a time (as I'm sure you would!). The pie chart of dogs I've seen on the trails has too many who were unhappy, whether from cut-up paws, dehydration, social stuff, whatever. My yellow Lab could do the Whites, but only if he really got seasoned up first. Unless/until, he's a neighborhood dog. Please provide a scouting report when he (what's your pup's name?) goes on his first hike north of the Lakes!

His name's Boone and he's 1.5 years old. I'm planning on doing a small dayhike tomorrow. Maybe the Hancocks? We did tecumsah at the end of last winter and sled down the ski slope. He ran down the entire slope after us.

Regarding the booties, she never liked them. If I put one on, she would try to avoid stepping down with that paw. Same when I put the second on. Eventually, she'd need to deal with it as they were on all four paws.

I'd just start walking, and she would either sit there or follow. So, she followed.

One note, though, is that they actually would make her lose her grip a little on some icy spots. Her claws would've worked better. That was rare and worth it.

I would also have her wear them in the Presi's year round. Summit scree can be nasty on paws.

One note, though, is that they actually would make her lose her grip a little on some icy spots. Her claws would've worked better. That was rare and worth it.

I would also have her wear them in the Presi's year round. Summit scree can be nasty on paws.

Just a couple of notes on boots -- I use the Ruffwear Griptex booties in the Northerns -- the scree is really abrasive (even for dogs with trail hardened paws) and on a hot summer day can burn paws as well. Sadly, learned through experience.

Booties in winter -- great for snowballing protection but can lead to foot injuries from slipping so it may be a good idea to take them off when things get steep-- Terra dislocated two superficial digital tendons (the tendons that hold dog's toes in a natural arch) last winter and I'm pretty sure it was due to the extra stress of having to grip extra hard to avoid slipping in boots going up steeps. :( Fortunatley, these are not debilitating or painful injuries but can lead to foot arthritis down the road.

Other issues we've had with boots on long winter hikes -- boots begin to freeze in shapes that are not comfortable for dogs to walk in. Just another thing to look out for to keep your dog happy and comfy.

Good luck with Boone, he sounds like a great dog!

Last edited:
My Lab Bookah has been hiking 4 seasons a year for all of her life. I've only seen her get a little cold twice. Each time it was a bitter cold winter day, low temps and windy. In both instances it was while we were standing around on a summit for an extended period of time. As soon as we started moving, she warmed right up.

Bookah wades thru mid winter streams then back out into the snow. I asked Boo's vet about cold weather hiking and she told me that Labs have amazing circulation in their paws that lets them cope with cold weather and snow.

I feel a bigger issue with hiker-Labs is the warm weather months. The same double coat and insulation that keeps them warm in winter can overheat them in the warm weather months. I carry extra water for her, and when possible, look for trails and routes where there is water along the way.

Mia, my 2 year old Labradoodle, loves winter hiking (and skijoring). She has lab-like paws (big, webbed toes) but a slightly sparser coat. Single digit temperatures don't seem to be a problem, but I have to keep a close eye to keep her out of open water.

We use this waxy stuff called "Mushers Secret", rub it into her pads and between the toes (a little goes a long way). It really seems to help prevent snow from balling up, which is probably her biggest source of discomfort. We don't use booties, but I carry some light ones along in case of injury (haven't needed them yet, though).

Since her coat is more "feathery" than a normal lab I get her forelegs trimmed at the beginning of the season, to help prevent snow clumping up above her paws.

Our biggest problem is the "tween" seasons when the air temp is cold but there's still a lot of open water and mud on the trails - her legs tend to get encased in tubes of muddy ice. Doesn't seem to bother her until we get back to the car and it starts to melt, I think it must pull uncomfortably on the fur. We try to avoid those situations, but not always successfully... I've been thinking something like doggy gaiters might help - I've never seen such a thing but might try to make some!

I've been thinking something like doggy gaiters might help - I've never seen such a thing but might try to make some!

I actually bought a pair last year to keep the ice balls from forming on my Aussie's feathery legs -- they worked ok for a while but then snow and ice began to work its way inside. :) Let me know if you come up with a better design!

Maybe this is obvious but what are the signs your dog is too cold? I assume if it's lethargic or tired that would be a major indication. I can't remember the last time Boone was tired. A 3 hour run behind my bike doesn't tire him out!

Shivering is the most obvious sign. On a really cold day put your hand on your dog's ribcage. You can feel a shiver before you'll see it unless it's severe. A cold dog will often huddle near you or tuck up close if you're sitting down.

Is Musher's Wax the same as Musher's Secret?
The fur between Bookah's paws doesn't seem to collect iceballs. But sometimes her tough leather pads get some cracks in mid winter.

Does Musher's Wax or Secret help with a dog's pads but does it soften the pads?

PB I think they are the same...I say that, meaning...the Musher's Secret I had was wax-based. I also didn't think it worked too well, at least for me.

On a side note, I used to winter camp with her as well. She'd snuggle up next to me in a tight ball, and together we'd feed warmth off each other. It was fantastic. The only problem was the mornings...she would want to keep moving and it takes me time to get my butt in gear....

Dogs of Winter

We've hiked with Emma in the winter all her life. We've always used Mushers Wax/Secret on her paws to prevent ice and snow build-up. It usually works, but not always. I don't think it really softens her pads. We sometimes use it above tree-line in the Presis to protect from the minor abrasions which occur. As Una said the quartzite mica schist make up of the rock there is rough on their paws.

A lot depends on the conditions on that particular day. We find that wet snow doesn't tend to stick whereas powder in very cold conditions attaches to the warm fur much more easily. Our dog Emma has a thick double coat like a lab and like peakbagr says the real problem seems to be in the hot months when she overheats. (She is also black and the black fur absorbs heat.) I see that Boone is a yellow lab so shouldn't have this problem.

We have not been successful with booties, but we haven't tried a lot of brands, either. What it basically comes down to is this: If we're hiking and the conditions are adverse for our dog, ie. major balling on the fur, or too much ice build up on her pads, we turn around and look for something less challenging to do. It's a hard decision to make when you've set plans and driven a long way. With these rules she's made it to 37 of the 48 in winter, and lots of smaller stuff as well. We started out small as we were new to it as well, but have also done 14-15 milers.

A dog as a winter hiking companion has certain restrictions that you must be willing to deal with. Unlike a human partner who decides to bag a hike, they need someone to make decisions for them. You can't simply hand them the keys and tell them to run the car to stay warm, or to go down to D&D for a hot drink. You must occasionally be willing to sacrifice a bagged peak for the comfort of your dog.

I don't mean to come off as preachy, just trying to share our experience. We love to hike in the winter with Emma and hope you have the same fun with Boone!

KDT

Shivering is the most obvious sign. On a really cold day put your hand on your dog's ribcage. You can feel a shiver before you'll see it unless it's severe. A cold dog will often huddle near you or tuck up close if you're sitting down.

Your dog might make it very obvious if he doesn't want to hike or is becoming uncomfortable. I grew up with a Lab that would run/walk/swim in all kinds of weather and in all types of landscapes -- we took her everywhere...she was a happy dog and could handle just about anything. There was no mistaking her glee, she was always happy happy happy.

My current dog is a border terrier who does not enjoy cold temperatures or snow deeper than an inch. It's very obvious when he doesn't like something -- and the shivering aspect that Peakbagr mentions is spot-on. We took Max (our border terrier) up the Tripyramids last week and, though there wasn't much snow, it was too cold for him. He was fine until halfway through the hike, when he looked at me with very sad eyes and started to shiver. Luckily, we were on the summit and ready to roll anyway (we just cut my birthday celebration short). My point is -- if the dog isn't having fun, it should be obvious. At least, that's how it is for us. Shivers, sad eyes, a lack of enthusiasm...that means it's time to pick up the dog and/or head home (Max is now done until spring...it's best for him if he stays behind until the temps warm up).

I've a feeling you won't have much trouble winter hiking with a Lab, though. Different breed, different needs, different temperament. You'll probably have a blast out there with your new furry friend. :)

Maybe this is obvious but what are the signs your dog is too cold? I assume if it's lethargic or tired that would be a major indication. I can't remember the last time Boone was tired. A 3 hour run behind my bike doesn't tire him out!

It really depends on the dog -- a dog that is deeply connected to its owner will follow them through injury and discomfort and this is where we need to be particularly sensitive to our companions-- many breeds are stoic and will not show pain or discomfort unless severe --- others are so enthusiastic and exuberant that they don't know thier own limits. Smaller breeds have particular difficulty because their body mass:surface area ratio makes it much harder for them to stay warm and they greatly benefit from a jacket. Boone as has been mentioned before is a lab, with a thick double coat, large muscle mass and snow proof webbed feet and should do really well out in winter.

Subtle signs of being cold are tiptoeing, lifting a front paw (submissive gesture), a hunched back, a tail between the legs to conserve heat, moving behind a tree or other windblock, circling and digging in the snow (nesting); more obvious signs are shivering.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is bring along extra food for him on the trail during the winter months (if you don't already).

Happy Hiking! Love the avatar!