A Franconia Ridge Christmas Completion

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMOutdoors

Reaction score
What an incredible trip my brother and I ebmarked on the day after Christmas. With only one hike in the way of my brother's completion of the 48, we set off for the Flume Slide Trail to go across the ridge to take on Flume, Liberty, Lincoln, and Lafayette, where we would celebrate his completion atop one of my favorite peaks, and one that got the best of me a couple of weeks ago.

It is so hard to describe this experience, but this VFTT trip report is a prelude to my full report, which will be ready before the weekend.

Since we've been hiking a lot, we haven't felt the need for snowshoes just yet, but for sure, it is time to bring them now. We enjoyed the nice stroll into the valley to the base of the slide, where the ascent began. Microspikes were pushed to max and beyond, but we managed just fine to the top without any plinko action :D
PC260064.JPG

Along the way, the sky showed patches of blue, but we expected snow and clouds all day. The final ascent to Flume was intense. We ended up in a huge hiker jam just after the summit with another pair of hikers and a large group, which included J&J. It was nice to meet you! We talked for a few minutes in the traffic jam and proceeded.
PC260088.JPG

Once we hit Liberty, the skies opened up and a result, the clouds and everything turned this hike into something magical, straight out the heavens, and just like that it felt like we were on top of the world.
PC260127.JPG

As we approached Lafayette, my brother's final peak, we had seconds before the sun disappeared below the western horizon. I can't imagine what Bill felt as he reached his last peak. Once there, we let out our excitement and stood in amazed at the beauty around us. Under an Earthshine Crescent Moon and Venus with a sunset backdrop to dream of, two brothers put the AMC White Mountain 4000-footers in the books within one year.
PC260270.JPG
PC260309.JPG

For the full story of this incredible hike, please be on the lookout for my blog post. We broke trail in knee deep drifts from Liberty Springs on, we were blown across patches of ice above treeline, even with our spikes, and more. I am dying to share the whole album from this hike with you all, but until I post to my blog, this is a teaser. :D My brother and I will remember this trip forever.

Hi Dan. Give our biggest congratulations to your brother, Bill, on his 48 completion. That is awesome, Bill! It was great meeting you two (as well running into the other Dan and Mike who we met on Cabot the week before).

I'm sure we'll be having more chance encounters as the years go on.

Great job on the reverse traverse you two! Especially good job on going up Flume Slide!

John

Congrats to you and your brother for a great year of hiking, great pics - Flume Slide is awesome, way to crush it!

-Chris

John - Thank you so much, I be sure to share the congrats with him. It was a pretty funny moment as we all bunched up there. After that, no one else was up there, and we broke trail all of the way from Liberty to Lafayette.

Chris - Thank you also very much, its amazing to look back at how much effort we exhausted to reach the peaks within 365 days, but more importantly, to look back at the memories and special moments we experienced together. Although I did several of my 48 solo, I was able to share every peak with him on his journey. Both completions were special and unique to each of us.

It has been a phenomenal year for us, but there's still time for one more hike before the year ends :D

Dan,

Wow! Congrats to your brother!

This hike sounds epic! To start the Ridge from the Flume Slide in this weather is an awesome feat in itself! That approach to the Flume summit does look really intense. I can only imagine how beautiful the landscape was when the clouds cleared. Finishing on Lafayette at sunset must have been breathtaking.

Congrats to you both getting them in, in 2011! Can't wait for the blog post!

Karl

What a fantastic hike and beautiful pics.