Video Trip Report for Denali National Park, Alaska

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Head

Reaction score
All I have to say is: Alaska is absolutely amazing! Some of the most incredible scenery I've been exposed to in my life! Here is the video broken down into 5 parts:
Part 1: We started from Anchorage and drove Birds van up to Denali, got our Units picked out and hopped the 'camper bus' to the Teklanika River. From there we hiked into the river valley to our base camp.

Part 2: We woke up to snow in early August. The group separated and then hiked into the base of the Alaska Range.

Part 3: Hiking out via Igloo Creek with a bruin that followed us for quite a while. The trip then continues on at Dragonfly Creek. After that, it was on to Byers Lake in Denali State Park.

Part 4: Kesugi Ridge Trail. The #1 rated hiking trail in North America according to Backpacker magazine. We all understood why by the end of the day!

Last edited:
I just watched the first one and am halfway through the second. These are AWESOME! Thanks for sharing them with us, and wow, what an incredible trip!

I love the music, too. Are there HD (h.264?) versions available?

Okay, the last one's a little surreal, but the hikes are still amazing! :)

Last edited:
What a blast you guys had!! I have to get to Alaska! What an amazingly wild and beautiful place!!

Fun videos as always, I literally JUMPED out of my chair on the "bear hole" though, ha ha, you got me!!

these are awesome! i need to hire you to film my next adventure. ha.

Great video, bringing back incredible memories of just a few months ago.

I was there a couple of days before you in early August. We had just finished paddling the Yukon 1000 mile canoe race, ending 140 miles north of Fairbanks, and had a couple of days before catching our flight home from Fairbanks. I had heard that getting on the bus tour required weeks of advance reservation, but we (voyageur canoe crew of 6 plus 2 pit crew) called anyway, and we were able to all get on the same bus for the 12-hour 92 mile tour through the park. What an amazing place, just as seen in the videos. We saw multiple moose, griz bears, caribou, sheep, and foxes within the spectacular scenery. The bus tour is not inexpensive, but worth it and highly recommended. Private auto driving on the park road is not allowed, unless you have a camping permit.

Last edited:
I just watched the first one and am halfway through the second. These are AWESOME! Thanks for sharing them with us, and wow, what an incredible trip!

I love the music, too. Are there HD (h.264?) versions available?

Okay, the last one's a little surreal, but the hikes are still amazing! :)
Thanks MJ. It's a WILD place! I will definately be going back in the future as this awe inspiring land
really moved me :) Glad ya liked em' man!

What a blast you guys had!! I have to get to Alaska! What an amazingly wild and beautiful place!!

Fun videos as always, I literally JUMPED out of my chair on the "bear hole" though, ha ha, you got me!!
You do have to go! You won't regret a minute!
Glad you enjoyed the bear hole...(Gotcha! HeHeHE.) :D

these are awesome! i need to hire you to film my next adventure. ha.
Thanks! (Where are ya climbin' in the avatar?)

Great video, bringing back incredible memories of just a few months ago.

I was there a couple of days before you in early August. We had just finished paddling the Yukon 1000 mile canoe race, ending 140 miles north of Fairbanks, and had a couple of days before catching our flight home from Fairbanks. I had heard that getting on the bus tour required weeks of advance reservation, but we (voyageur canoe crew of 6 plus 2 pit crew) called anyway, and we were able to all get on the same bus for the 12-hour 92 mile tour through the park. What an amazing place, just as seen in the videos. We saw multiple moose, griz bears, caribou, sheep, and foxes within the spectacular scenery. The bus tour is not inexpensive, but worth it and highly recommended. Private auto driving on the park road is not allowed, unless you have a camping permit.

Now that sounds pretty sick! How long did it take you to come down through on the Yukon? Sounds like you had a pretty amazing time in the park as well. We didn't make it to Wonder Lake but that will give me a reason to go back! ;)

Now that sounds pretty sick! How long did it take you to come down through on the Yukon? Sounds like you had a pretty amazing time in the park as well. We didn't make it to Wonder Lake but that will give me a reason to go back! ;)
I've done the Yukon race 3 times now. Not sure if that is sick, maybe so, because I will do it again. It takes a little over 6 days to go the 1000. That's with paddling a full 18 hours a day - only because the rules say you must stop for the other 6 hours (as verified by a SPOT transmitter). :D

I've done the Yukon race 3 times now. Not sure if that is sick, maybe so, because I will do it again. It takes a little over 6 days to go the 1000. That's with paddling a full 18 hours a day - only because the rules say you must stop for the other 6 hours (as verified by a SPOT transmitter). :D
Wow,would be quite the understatement!My dad used to live in alaska in the late 40,s early 50,s.I grew up hearing the stories of how amazing it is there.Just saw a amazing special on pbs cable tv about "the gates to the arctic park".The show had eskimos and a assortment of very cool characters.Will try to get a link for some info on it.Thanks for the input on a very cool thread...:)