Garfield Ridge or Franconia Ridge, 1/7/2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
Hike: (a couple possibilities)

Plan A: S. Twin, Galehead, Garfield (we have previously hiked N. Twin)

Plan B: Franconia Ridge Traverse – Lafayette to Flume

Date: January 7, 2012

On Saturday, (1/7/2012), Sue and I are planning to hike either Garfield Ridge or Franconia Ridge. Anybody want to join the fun?

If there’s interest in hiking a traverse of Garfield Ridge to include N. Twin we are open to the change. The initial plan is a loop from Beaver Brook Wayside Area.

We’re planning an early start. Either hike will be a full day.

We hike a moderate pace, which is around book time or a little more.

If you’re interested in joining the fun or have any questions, please respond to this thread or by PM.

:D

We have a winner!

The target will be......

Plan A: Garfield Ridge – South Twin, Galehead, and Garfield.

PM or respond to the thread if you’re interested.

We have a winner!

The target will be......

Plan A: Garfield Ridge – South Twin, Galehead, and Garfield.

PM or respond to the thread if you’re interested.

Doh! I thought I posted to this thread a few days ago! :mad: :confused:

Earl, we might be interested in joining you, especially if you add North Twin. We can help with a car spot. Where are you starting and when?

Doh! I thought I posted to this thread a few days ago! :mad: :confused:

Earl, we might be interested in joining you, especially if you add North Twin. We can help with a car spot. Where are you starting and when?

Tom,

I sent a message to you on FB.

We are currently looking at an on-trail target of ~6:30am from Beaver Brook.

Slight adjustment.....

Targets: N. Twin, S. Twin, Galehead, and Garfield

Route: Traverse from Little River Road to Mt. Garfield trailhead

Meet time & Place: 5:30am at the winter trailhead for Mt. Garfield Trail

On-Trail Target: 6:00am

just curious, are you packing snowshoes or crampons?

I'm not planning to bring either. The only extra footwear I'll have will be MicroSpikes. That's my approach, others may decide differently.

So far, I've seen no reports to indicate snowshoes are required and none of the recent hikes we've done would have benefited from snowshoes or crampons.

:cool:

I'm not planning to bring either. The only extra footwear I'll have will be MicroSpikes. That's my approach, others may decide differently.

So far, I've seen no reports to indicate snowshoes are required and none of the recent hikes we've done would have benefited from snowshoes or crampons.

:cool:

The girls and I did Garfield yesterday -- I'd say that snowshoes and crampons aren't needed, at least they weren't yesterday, for the Garfield Trail section of your hike. Light traction will be helpful, though. That being said, HYOH, of course.

Will anxiously be waiting to read your trip report - got the kids this weekend so doing the Garfield, Galehead, S Twin, & N Twin trip MLK weekend. Enjoy!