New Year's Winter Presidential Traverse, in 12 Pictures of Course - 1/1/2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LRiz

Reaction score
It's amazing to think that that I am now in my fourth season of winter hiking. Since taking it up, I've always had a single day Presi Traverse on my mind. After fighting some nagging inflammation in both feet for 3 months (thanks to a lovely pair of extra bones that I just so happened to be born with), I was convinced that my winter season would be a bust. However, I've been able to get in some good hiking this week and finally achieved my goal of completing the traverse!

A huge thank you Sasquatch, Farmer, and Danger Girl for a fantastic day out in the mountains.

IMG_7772.jpg

IMG_7780.jpg

IMG_7783.jpg

IMG_7793.jpg

IMG_7799.jpg

IMG_7817.jpg

IMG_7811.jpg

IMG_7819.jpg

IMG_7829.jpg

IMG_7834.jpg

IMG_7837.jpg

IMG_7847.jpg

...full album here.

Beautiful pictures! New Year's was an epic day in the mountains. :D Congrats on completing your goal.

Very impressive photos and congrats on an awesome hike. New Year's Day appeared to be a great weather day to hike. These photos make me want to get right back up there.

wow, awesome pics. I can't fathom doing this trip in a day, let alone stopping long enough to take these kind of pics. :)

Awesome!
From where we were on Galehead, there were comments about how we knew the Presis were above the clouds. Beautiful day for you all. Glad you got out for it.

Simply Awesome!!! Beautiful photos! Looks like a wonderful day to traverse. I'm glad you were able to get out there and your winter season wasn't a bust...

Thanks for sharing,
Karl

Wow. If only to write 'wow,' I signed in. These are amazing shots! Great light, great composition, great focus & depth of field, really amazing. Picture 6, please, where exactly were you? Is it Eisenhower from somewhere north of George, with George's summit to the left? The clouds, the detail of the rocks, the utter lack of scale, the light, this is a beautiful shot!

Congratulations and thank you!

A huge thank you to all of you for the kind words. Lighting and conditions like the ones we experienced on Sunday lend themselves to incredible photographs, making it possible for non-talented gals such as myself to simply point and shoot... :p

Picture 6, please, where exactly were you?

This photo was taken on the Gulfside Trail between Jefferson and Clay. Here's a similar shot of the location non-winter (taken slightly to the left of the winter shot):

Washington%252520and%252520Franconia%252520225.jpg

It's one of my favorite sections of trails in the Presidentials. I love how Clay appears so massive as you approach the col!

Thank you! I thought that chrome-dome was Ike! That's an interesting vantage with the rise to the right, a little tricky.

Oh, and it looks like the hike was fun, too! I've been thinking that this is the perfect time to snag winter Pressies.

Great stuff, congratulations again.

Holy Cow, those photos are some of the best Ive seen in along time!!! I like the way I could follow your hike through them, very nice.

damn larissa you've got quite an eye for capturing great scenery--superb photos! looks like it was a sublime day out there!

Pat