Sewards Gate?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what the sign at the gate says:

dscn4268.jpg

It would seem to indicate that the gate is left open all winter, and only closed in the spring. Just because the gate is open though doesn't mean that the road is passable (or plowed).

The road is pretty much always "travel at your own risk" in winter. Typically it's never plowed. However, during the past couple of winters, I believe there has been construction going on at Ampersand Lake and so the road was sporadically plowed. No idea if that will be the case this winter.

We've gotten several inches of snow this week, and the road was icy on January 1st. I'm sure it's pretty slick now. I wouldn't attempt it without some combination of the following: AWD/4WD/studded tires/tire chains.

Gremlin, I think you're confusing the Seward trailhead (in Coreys) with the Santanoni trailhead (in Upper Works). The Seward trailhead is no where near the Allen trailhead. But yes, the lot at the Santanoni trailhead often is not plowed. :)

In Coreys, the the road will only occasionally be plowed into the Stony Creek/Raquette River trailhead. Usually the plows turn around about a mile before Stony Creek, making the walk into the Seward trailhead 4 miles.

Huh... weren't there a bunch more posts in this thread? They seem to have disappeared...

Nope, there was definitely 2 or 3 more posts in this thread. They might've all been by the same author- perhaps he/she deleted them.

She had deleted because it was made clear the old peakbagger did not know what she was talking about... even though she has been in the Sewards every of the last 10 winters.;)

Haha, why did you just state that you'd seen the gate closed in previous winters? Would've prevented some confusion... ;)

Post #5

First few post in this thread should jog your memory.:)

Right, those posts were about the gate getting closed for mud season in spring. :) The question was about the gate getting closed in winter... which I'm not sure it ever was for the past few winters (maybe it was, but not for extended periods of time) (again we're talking winter, not spring mud season, during which it is definitely closed). The last 2 winters, the road and summer trailhead have definitely been sporadically plowed, which of course only adds to the confusion.

In any case, I think we can all agree that it's best to always head to the Sewards in winter expecting to have to park at the snowplow turnaround, and hike the extra 4 miles to the summer trailhead. If you are able to drive the mile to the gate, or the 4 miles to the summer trailhead, it should be a pleasant and unplanned for surprise. :)

I guess I was under the delusion that the end of February or the first week of March was winter, not Spring?;) The guy plowed it within a few days after any substantial snow, that really isn't sporadic. Burns, closed the gate basically right after a rescue took place and then a few cars getting stuck, saying enough was enough.

Gate

As of yesterday the gate is closed, They are logging at Ampersands an as I understand it it is Log trucks only.

We walked the road on Saturday (jan 21). 45 minutes give or take a few each way. It was pretty icy under a thin layer of snow packed loosely by some sort of vehicle. My front WD station wagon wouldn't have made it back up.