Rumors about Thoreau Falls Bridge Removal

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca M

Reaction score
A reliable source has told me the Forest Service is looking into Thoreau Falls Bridge removal.

From what I have seen, it appears damaged by Irene. It is in the Pemi Wilderness and is therefore governed by Wilderness Regulations.

If gone it removes what I consider to be the only viable/safe wilderness traverse from Lincoln Woods to Zealand, particularly in winter (on skis) now that Shoal Pond Trail is basically a bushwhack in winter.

~~~~ I give up ~~~~

Last edited:
I'm not very familiar with how the White Mountain NF is managed, but I do know that just because something is in a Wilderness Area, doesn't necessarily preclude the presence of bridges (even in Federally-designated wilderness). Case in point- the Big Branch Wilderness in Vermont has a suspension bridge that was built quite recently.

I'd encourage you to write to the Forest Service. I can tell you from personal experience that lots of users of the backcountry like to discuss management decisions amongst themselves, but very few people ever take the time to express their concerns to the natural resource managers who actually make those decisions. Managers do take public opinion into account in their decisions.

If you address an envelope to the main office of the WMNF, and put something like RE: Pemigewasset Wilderness on either the envelop or the header to your letter, it should eventually reach the right people...

Often times, management decisions like this arise from a lack of funds- it may be necessary for a volunteer group to raise funds and provide man power to preserve the bridge...

I'm not very familiar with how the White Mountain NF is managed, but I do know that just because something is in a Wilderness Area, doesn't necessarily preclude the presence of bridges (even in Federally-designated wilderness). Case in point- the Big Branch Wilderness in Vermont has a suspension bridge that was built quite recently.
Wilderness plans vary in different Forests, the GMNF is allowed to build new leantos for example

And the actual decision is made by the District Ranger, the one involved with the Thoreau Falls Bridge is apparently resume-padding to become executive director of Earth First unlike the Saco ranger who approved a new bridge up Dry River

I am shocked ... shocked to learn that there is gambling going on in here ... I mean that there is a bridge on the Thoreau Falls Trail. Everybody out at once!

And the actual decision is made by the District Ranger

But there's also a Forest Supervisor, so CC anything you write to their office (see WMNF website) as well as the Pemi District.

But there's also a Forest Supervisor, so CC anything you write to their office (see WMNF website) as well as the Pemi District.

Apparently the decision process has been "streamlined" so neither the forest supervisor nor regional forester can overturn the district ranger's decision anymore

After crossing this bridge for the first and only time this past August, unfortunately I said to myself, "this bridge has no chance." It was sturdy enough, but didn't look real good and Irene may have sealed it's fate damaging the stairs.

Sadly, this may turn out to be true. And losing this bridged river crossing traveling north to south in the Pemi would be a shame. It's a fine spot in the woods.

But, maybe it will be deemed more necessary than the former bridge on Wilderness trail?

From experience, I crossed the bridge in VERY high water after a night of straight rain camping at Shoal Pond. I bagged plans on Lincoln Woods via Shoal Pond trail, in favor of the Thoreau Falls trail because of this bridge over the unbridged crossing on Shoal Pond trail. I would have certainly had to retreat to Zealand and hitch, or spend an unexpected extra night in the woods if not for this bridge.

You watch, this is starting a trend of....well I won't say "laziness" on the part of the USFS as "Neglect though lack of funding". It started with the Lincoln Brook trail past the slide out and around to 13 Falls. I know of the guy who adopted this section (he is on Hike-NH) but this sadly may be too big a job for a team of people, let alone one. Next you had the major bridge removal which cut off easy access to connecting both sides of the river trails. Shoal Pond trail, last I was on it, was slowly being swallowed by deep mud on it's upper end. Now an easy traverse of the entire length of T.F. Trail might be in trouble? Perhaps the USFS is going to get it's "Wilderness, pure and simple" simply by lack of funding to do pretty much ANYTHING at all. This is pretty sad really. I mean, all the discussion that goes on about what makes and does not make "Wilderness" what it is the simple fact is that it has been getting kind of ugly there in the Pemi. This rule about leaving blow downs in place if you can walk over them and just removing the ones impeding easy foot traffic movement has only made for very ugly trails. When I was on a backpack with BobC this past summer I at one point turned to him and said "I don't know about you, but these Wilderness rules have not made these trails feel "wild". If anything they simply look like poorly maintained and neglected non wilderness hiking trail." He seemed to agree. Oh well, as Bryson said in A Walk In The Woods, perhaps it would be for the better if we starve them of funds. Maybe then someone who actually has the money and the desire to do things right can take over.......

Brian

I am basically giving up on fighting "the man" after previous attempts failed... :( I was really hoping one day to be good enough to ski the North Fork... one of my dreams....

Bridge removal would involve a formal scoping process by the USFS, which would be listed in the quarterly Schedule of Proposed Actions (SOPA). The SOPA for 1st quarter 2012 includes a number of projects related to storm damage and bridge repair, but nothing about the Thoreau Falls Bridge.

http://www.fs.fed.us/sopa/components/reports/sopa-110922-2012-01.html

Hi! Any idea what the "pre-"process is for getting a project on that list? I heard that the FS is putting out "feelers" about the bridge, whatever that means.

How I have seen Wilderness Areas in the mountains of GA and than ones in the Whites, each one is managed how the district views the regulations differently. Not opposed letting each manager do what is best for each forest instead of a "blanket" policy that came from Washington.

I am basically giving up on fighting "the man" after previous attempts failed... :( I was really hoping one day to be good enough to ski the North Fork... one of my dreams....
Never give up. There's the old story about the philosopher about to be put to death by the Emperor for heresy. The philosopher promises that he will teach the Emperor's beloved dog to talk, within a year.

His friends afterward lament to him, "A dog can't talk; that's impossible; you will most surely be put to death!" To which the philosopher replies, "In a year, the Emperor may die; the dog may die; I may die; the dog may talk."

I see a lucrative consultancy developing, and sanity returning. The Thoreau Falls bridge will be, unlike the major of the other two destructions, a minor rebuild. Don't give up on the dream.

The dog may talk!

At

Since this bridge is located on the Appalachian National Scenic Trail, there may be some input by the NPS on its removal. The NPS transferred administrative responsibility to the USFS a couple of years ago so they may not have any input here.

Many times over the years I have used this little bridge to safely get over the North Fork. Using the tiny bushwhack instead of the Thoreau Falls crossing when it was in spate or in hazardous ice conditions was the only safe choice.

I would hate to see that safety hatch removed. Especially since it is such a small structure.

Since this bridge is located on the Appalachian National Scenic Trail, there may be some input by the NPS on its removal. The NPS transferred administrative responsibility to the USFS a couple of years ago so they may not have any input here.

Many times over the years I have used this little bridge to safely get over the North Fork. Using the tiny bushwhack instead of the Thoreau Falls crossing when it was in spate or in hazardous ice conditions was the only safe choice.

I would hate to see that safety hatch removed. Especially since it is such a small structure.

Unless I am missing something I believe you are talking about the bridge on the Ethan Pond Trail near the THoreau Falls Trail. The one I believe we are talking about is down near the Wilderness Trail end, and thus not on the AT.

Brian

Very much agreed. But there is a person who is just appalled and horrified at the sight of any man-made structure in this Wilderness and that is the person in charge, at the moment.
Since this bridge is located on the Appalachian National Scenic Trail
I'm confused by that, but I'm often confused.
I think I get this. The bridge we're talking about is not over the North Fork, but you mean it gives you access to a bushwhack ("tiny" is not the word I would choose though) that gets you to a North Fork crossing low rather than higher up.

EDITED TO ADD: I just saw the previous reply and now understand you perhaps misunderstood the bridge we are talking about? OMG that would bring this nonsense to a head! Some tinhorn trying to remove a bridge from the AT!!! ROFL!!!!!

Last edited:
Whoops, wrong bridge

Unless I am missing something I believe you are talking about the bridge on the Ethan Pond Trail near the THoreau Falls Trail. The one I believe we are talking about is down near the Wilderness Trail end, and thus not on the AT.

Brian

Yep, you're right. The one I'm talking about is the one next to Thoreau Falls and it is not in the wilderness.

How I have seen Wilderness Areas in the mountains of GA and than ones in the Whites, each one is managed how the district views the regulations differently. Not opposed letting each manager do what is best for each forest instead of a "blanket" policy that came from Washington.

The regulations come from the Forest Plan which is different for each Forest, subject to the act passed by Congress

Unfortunately much of the input for each Forest Plan comes from national special-interest groups not particularly interested in local conditions

Yep, you're right. The one I'm talking about is the one next to Thoreau Falls and it is not in the wilderness.

Phew, OK, I thought so. I actually have not been on the bridge in question yet (I was supposed to as part of the backpacking trip, but we decided to abbreviate our trip a bit and cut it out) but I have been on the one you are talking about and from the pictures of the T.F. Trail bridge I was looking it did not appear to be what I remembered of the one on the AT you mentioned. Thus I had to get my WMNF guidebook out and check. :D

Brian

The bridge in question (with Becca on it):
vga_IMG_0464.JPG

The next two photos (taken from the bridge) show the view upstream and downstream--it is a fairly sizeable river
http://mysite.verizon.net/dbpwebjunk/pemi-lollipop-2011-02-22/IMG_0465.JPG.html http://mysite.verizon.net/dbpwebjunk/pemi-lollipop-2011-02-22/IMG_0466.JPG.html

Doug

Last edited: