NC Hikes ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surf88

Reaction score
Im heading down to North Carolina this weekend and will be in the Raleigh area. Ive never been to the western part of NC before. I have a car and was thinking of making a road trip to the Blue Ridge area. (Mt Mitchell)
But if someone recomends something that is closer to Raleigh or a better hike I'll check it out.
Anybody have any experience or recomendations for a day hike with good views in this area?

I had the same question before a trip to Greensboro, NC last year and got some good advice from 1HappyHiker, who may be responding to your post. Based in part on that advice, I enjoyed a pair of hikes around Pilot Mountain

896976688_RW7pN-L-1.jpg

and Hanging Rock State Park:

897715568_VaZCd-L-4.jpg

Both of these would be a lot closer to Raleigh than the Blue Ridge, especially Hanging Rock, which has miles of trails.

Last edited:
Im from Greensboro, NC and have lived in Asheville, Wilmington, Raleigh and Chapel Hill area is beautiful.Cant go wrong with the drive on the BRP. I have lived all over.
Depends on your time. The mountain trails (AT) are a bit far off, probably 3.5- 4hours away. Hanging Rock is great for some easy populate trail. There are a number of parks in raleigh with great/ flat trails. You can always check out sections of the Mountain to Sea Trail, it runs right through that area, but there is no camping on it. If you can drive a but, look at Grandfather, Profile Trail in between Boone and Banner Elk, NC. Sweet trail with open ridge walks. There are so many options, PM me if you want some other ideas. Spent 33 years in NC :)

Been many years but I found the trail up Mt. Mitchell from the road off the Blue Ridge to be very nice & easier than getting up the Northern New England State High Points. (The map I have I believe is Toe River & the folks at Black Dome Sports were great)

First time I think I left a main road, & then drove downhill to get to a trailhead. (the opposite of say leaving 112 & driving up 118 to Ravine Lodge):D

I had the same question before a trip to Greensboro, NC last year and got some good advice from 1HappyHiker, who may be responding to your post. Based in part on that advice, I enjoyed a pair of hikes around Pilot Mountain
and Hanging Rock State Park:
Both of these would be a lot closer to Raleigh than the Blue Ridge, especially Hanging Rock, which has miles of trails.
Thanks. I'm glad I asked, this looks like it will be a better option for me this trip. Maybe I'll get to both places.

Again thanks for the input everyone and I'm glad I asked. I ended up having alot less free time than I had originally thought I would for a hike on this trip and a quick trip over to pilot mountain per Amicus' recomendation satisfied my jones to get outside nicely.
My Blog entry for Pilot Mountain:
Pilot Mountain State Park 1/14/2012