Mount Monadnock State Park ranger Jim Johnson

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very sad! I have always found the older rangers at the store and on Monadnock to be very helpful with information and history! There was a story further down that indicated it was possibly the same person that was shot during a burglary investigation later on.

Jim was a wonderful human being. I had known him, hiked with him and even did some trail work with him for several years. He was someone who has touched many of your lives though you may have never known it. Yes, he was a summer Ranger at Monadnock for several years but most of all he loved doing trail work. If you've ever hiked the Marlboro trail at M, well that was his baby. He spent countless hours keeping that trail in tip top shape. He and Carol had also adopted the Dublin Trail. You could often find Jim doing trail work or reblazing trails on M. Besides his work at M he maintained the Greenleaf Trail up Lafayette and I believe Star Lake Trail from Madison Hut to Adams. He spent many hours this past summer helping Larry Davis on Osgood Trail. I know a lot of the trail workers on this site worked with Jim and could add more about his contribution to the hiking community. He and Carol were about the easiest going couple you'd ever want to meet. This whole incident makes no sense to me at all. I do know Jim and Carol will be missed, not only for the work they did, but for the good people that they were. RIP my friends!!!!

Ugh. This is terrible. I did trailwork with him this summer on the Dublin trail and did a week with them both at Camp Dodge with the AMC several years ago. Real nice folks. RIP. so sad.

RIP Jim and Carol

Now that I am a bit over the shock, I can say I knew both of them. Gentler and more generous people you'll never find. Trailwork with both at Cardigan Lodge, and with Jim several times at Mt Monadnock. A hike up DWS Tr on Madison two years back, and we had to descend Osgood Tr because too windy at the junction... I am going to miss them.
Tomorrow I aim to ring the church where Carol sang in Nelson. If there are to be calling hours or a public funeral I will post here ASAP.
At the very least there will be memorial toasts on mountaintops... I have another remembrance in mind for later.
With heavy heart, I remain

Creag nan drochaid

Oh boy. Let's stay on track, please.

Didn't mean for this to turn into an anti-gun discussion. Maybe we can stay away from the propaganda?

Jim

I knew Jim from Monadnock and was involved in several rescues with him. In fact, he gave me some summit horizon maps for the mountain. He was a great guy and this is a senseless tragedy.

It's heartwarming to see such wonderful stories of friendship and comraderie to honor Jim and Carol.

Jim was originally hired at Monadnock because of his love of the mountain and his unselfish desire to make a difference with helping out on trails.

Carol loved the mountain deeply that brought them together.

I know that one of the greatest tributes anyone can give to them, is to smile in their memories the next time you behold a scene of mountain beauty.