Scar Ridge, New Hampshire (NE 100 highest)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Espy

Reaction score
Has anyone attempted to cross Hancock Brook across from Big Rock Campground on the Kanc (Rt 112), or know if it's frozen enough to cross yet? I'm planning a hike up to Scar Ridge, West Peak, any input?

Has anyone attempted to cross Hancock Brook across from Big Rock Campground on the Kanc (Rt 112), or know if it's frozen enough to cross yet? I'm planning a hike up to Scar Ridge, West Peak, any input?

Yes, I have. Me and some friends did a traverse from Loon, over W. W. Scar, W. Scar and Middle Scar then down, crossed the river to a car spotted at the Discovery Trail lot. We did it when the water was flowing, but not raging. It was....interesting. But doable then. However I don't think I would consider it right now. We all got a little wet, but being the end of the day during summer, so not a problem. But on a cold winter day.....I dunno.

Besides, unless your are purposely looking to punish yourself you are taking a tough approach. The Loon approach is a cakewalk. Coming into it from the ridge is not. Thick blowdowns which are going to suck right now (I know, this past weekend I was swimming in them just a bit further along the ridge on E. Scar. :D )

Brian

Just to play devil's advocate I'd vote for the straight shot from near Big Rock. I was 0/2 from Loon (yes it gets you very close but man that's a awfully tough mile if you can't find the path from the ski trail). Soft snow in winter turned me back once and the other time I had a miserable time trying to hold the ridge as I missed the 'magic angle'. I found most herdpaths went up and down, to hold the ridge required extensive spruce swimming, not my favorite pastime. From Big Rock I found it to be an absolute cakewalk.

Pat