Women's SPECIFIC Gear (Especially Pants)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niltiac

Reaction score
Does anyone make a really good pair of Women's specific pair of winter hiking pants? I feel grossly overlooked by the industry as a woman that hikes in the winter.
I hate going in a store and asking for about such and being brought over to those well known soft shell white "ski bunny" pants then venturing into the men's section and finding multiple brands and models in exactly what I am looking for. I'm not picky and I have tried on tons of these men's pants. But alas as a curvy size 8 female that stands 5'3 the legs are always about a foot longer than mine and the thigh part of the leg is skin tight and the waist is always too loose!!!
The EMS Helix Pant is a great example of this. I mean why doesn't EMS take a little extra fabric from the bottom of the leg and waist and add it to the butt hips and tights??? It can't be that hard or cost any more to make than the men's model!!!

I have been in search of of these for years now...

Features I am looking for (Not necessary for all of them)

Ideal for climbing, backcountry hiking,
waterproof, breathable protection
Hard Shell
Full-length, waterproof side zippers for venting
Ankle gaiters
Suspenders
Reinforced knees
Reinforced inner ankle panels

And while I'm at it, I would love to know if anyone has any amazing gear the would recommend for women!!!!

Last edited:
Have you tried looking online? Many gear stores don't have a fraction of what's available in stock- it just isn't worth it to stock items that there is little demand for. But if you check their websites, they tend to have a lot more options available.

I have a friend who has a pair of Arcteryx bibs that she's been pretty happy with.

Most people I hike with (male or female) tend to just use rain pants over long johns in the winter, however. Tends to work just as well as more expensive brands of winter-specific pants.

Last edited:
Custom gear is always an option depending on budget, you could contact Wild Things in N Conway and maybe have you dream winter hiking pant made for you.:)

A female friend bought a pair of men's (military surplus) wool pants, disassembled the upper portion, and resewed it to fit. If you can sew, perhaps you can do the same.

Doug

I wear a pair of soft shells pants (women's XC skiing pants) that I scored cheap at LLBean a few years back. If/when these ever fall apart, I'll look into these:
http://www.rei.com/product/795105/mountain-hardwear-teralyn-pants-womens
but mostly because Mountain hardware seems to fit me perfectly, I have quite a few things from them and have never been disappointed. If you go directly Mtn. Hardware site, they sell a pair with suspenders, but at a price.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Women%27s-Bokta%E2%84%A2-Pant/OL4129,default,pd.html

Good luck with your search!

It's never worth spending that much extra for something with suspenders, whether you're a guy or girl... when you can just go to the thrift store and get a pair of suspenders for like 5 bucks. If you're lucky, they'll even have some in the rainbow or piano key variety. :)

Niltiac, let me just say...I totally feel your pain. Decent winter running pants are hard to find, too. And...whine alert...when I do find them, they often seem crazy expensive! (And were probably made in a sweatshop, etc etc etc, waahh...)

I do have some shell-type pants from Beans that I like, sort of like wind/rainpants. Waterproof/beathable, zippers, etc. And they do go well over a base layer and the combination is pretty hikeable. They even fit me well, which is something I have had good luck with at Beans but as they say, YMMV. As for the other features you mentioned, these pants wouldn't be the ones for you -- which is good because I can't remember their name. Probably worth a look at the Beans website though.

Finding womens clothing is even worse when you are short. I' 5'3 and everything is usually too long. In the winter i just my Precip rainpants over a long john layer. Usually patagonia light or mid weight pants. If it's really cold (below zero) I'll put a pair of fleece pants on too. I have the full leg zip pants so I can vent if i'm too hot. I wish they made gaiters for shorter people too. I have a pair of OR womans gaiters and they are way too long.

Moonstone products are great -- we have a hardshell, a pair of bibs and a sleeping bag here. But they went out of business several years ago. You can find bargains on eBay and elsewhere sometimes from folks who don't know the value of this brand. (I bought a like-new $200 winter bag for $28. :D )

REI is one of the few reliable sources for women's outdoor clothing. I would take a good look at their offerings.

Taking a look at gaiagirl's link above, I'm wondering whether she might have been referring to Marmot instead? This is indeed a superior brand (in some lines, THE superior brand), and they have a great selection of women's items. My wife has a down parka, a hardshell, a fleece jacket and a softshell jacket from them. I have two hardshells (one > fifteen years old), a pullover and a pair of winter gloves. Be prepared to spend a lot of money and use their stuff for a lot of years -- it's very high quality.

Last edited:
Yet another plug for REI products. I have a similar problem in that I have a short inseam. Am a big fan of their Mistral line as they have a comfort range of a big span of temps. They come in different inseam lengths. I have a pair of their Taku, but worn alone they're not as warm as the Mistral, so when it's cold enough to need longjohns, I wear them over the longjohns.

I just a bought a pair of their Acme pants, which uses Schoeller DrySkin. However, Schoeller has changed that fabric, so it's not as warm as before. Good quality pants, and nearly similar to the Mistral but nearly double the price. Would steer you to the Mistral.

I have the EMS Endo. There were two models when I made my purchase and I chose the more expensive (naturally), heavier weight model. I don't know about length in the smaller sizes, but these were perfect for me until I lost some weight (yippee!) and now I need to wear a belt with them.

I'm 5'2 and 120 lbs and have the same problem. I usually wear polar fleece pants that one of my daughters bought me in a short length, but they don't work real well when there is a lot of snow because the snow sticks to them from the snowshoes kicking it up. I found a cheap pair of ski pants at Gander Mt that worked pretty well last winter in a short length, but they are too insulated for hiking and I've been looking for something else.

I did notice that LLBean has a pretty big selection of winter hiking pants and they always have short lengths. I bought a pair of regular hiking pants (northface) online since I couldn't find petite length anyplace. They got a little chewed up with prickers in the Western part of the Catskills this summer, but they dry nice and quick. The online stuff is usually cheaper and you get reviews which is nice.

I think more men hike than women, so it's probably a money thing like everything.

I think more men hike than women, so it's probably a money thing like everything.

I know more women who hike than men. :p

The money thing is why most clothing products come out first in black. Then, if they are really popular and enough are sold (like the EMS Tech Wick) they come out in popular colors.

Last winter EMS came out with a new down "sweater" -- they were pretty bold and manufactured it in two different colors for women: chocolate and teal. They came with either the chocolate on the outside and the teal for the liner, or the other way around. I think the men's version was lime green and black.

In the winter i just my Precip rainpants over a long john layer. Usually patagonia light or mid weight pants. If it's really cold (below zero) I'll put a pair of fleece pants on too. I have the full leg zip pants so I can vent if i'm too hot.

This is what me and my wife (when she comes with) both do. You can find precips in different inseams.

Regarding suspenders, they're a PITA to manage in winter/bad weather. I'd consider spending some $ with a tailor. A higher waist on the pant and a longer tail on your top base layer should make suspenders unnecessary. Unfortunately fashion dictates lower waist and shorter top cuts.

sardog1 said:
Taking a look at gaiagirl's link above, I'm wondering whether she might have been referring to Marmot instead?

wardsgirl's link. ;)

Patagucci fan here

If your wallet can take the hit, Patagonia's women's Super Alpine bibs are great. Mine are going on 10 years old. They have a zip that works in concert with their Superfly tights (not sure if they're still being made) which makes for discrete nature calls. As a woman, this system was very much appreciated on Denali. :cool:

Patagonia's women's Alpine Guide Pants are also awesome although they are a softshell material.

Haven't tried them, but the Northwall Pants sound like what you're looking for - they have suspenders. :)

If your wallet can take the hit, Patagonia's women's Super Alpine bibs are great. Mine are going on 10 years old. They have a zip that works in concert with their Superfly tights (not sure if they're still being made) which makes for discrete nature calls. As a woman, this system was very much appreciated on Denali. :cool:

Patagonia's women's Alpine Guide Pants are also awesome although they are a softshell material.

Haven't tried them, but the Northwall Pants sound like what you're looking for - they have suspenders. :)

+1 on the Guide Pants. Mine (men's version) have more than ten years of wear on them. (The guy I loaned them to in a snowy elk camp at 10,000 feet this past October sure liked them as well.)