Women's SPECIFIC Gear (Especially Pants)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For hiking in fall/winter/spring, you really need pants with a full side zip, so they can go on over your clothes without taking your boots off, and can be easily taken off again when you overheat. I have a very old and ratty pair that I have been using forever, and I have not been able to find a replacement. I am 5' 2" and 115 lbs.

Definitely agree it is a pain!

(And no way am I paying $600 for a pair of Patagonia bibs. Yikes!)

Last edited:
Ditto on the EMS Endo. I bought the men's Endo Pant. Then I bought the women's EndoTherm. Believe it or not, the Therm version is only available in women's right now. I like them both, but I searched high and low for the men's initially.

I find that if you want pockets and functional gear, it's still best to head for the men's pants. If you want something with flat seems and nearly invisible pockets head for the women's.....

That said I really do like the endotherms, though I do have cinch up the waist still. I have bigger thighs and a smaller waist. I'm 5'7" though so the length is not normally an issue.

The EMS Endo's appear to only be sold in one inseam length.

Too bad they don't emulate REI in that regard.

I have had the same complaints for years....I have found that Mountain Hardware fits me the best for pants..I'm 5'4" and have a few curves. :eek:

The waist has a way to tighten it and they have ample room in thighs and butt area. I have found they are worth the price for a great fit!

I recently returned some nearly 10 year-old patagonia pants to the newbury street store because a zipper was busted. I was hoping they'd send them off and fix the zipper, but the guy said "take any pair of pants you like" and they sent me off with snazzy $600 Super Alpine bibs! I haven't worn them yet, but with something that pricy I feel like I should be able to wear it to weddings, business meetings etc... In fact, maybe I will ...

hiking clothing for women

sister you are singing to the choir!

I have trouble finding adequate outdoors clothing-especially pants- for women. Mens clothing, in general, does not fit- too slim where I need the room. Pants too short in the waist. For a long time I wore heavy leggings- purchased in regular-type womens clothing stores or athletic clothing stores. But I am not a size 8 anymore:eek:

I have been lucky a few times

REI had some of their own brand pants that fit me well (curvy 5'3" also), also Campmor. Also, look for Royal Robbins clothing.

But it is as you write- little selection for women (especially in the low price end of the spectrum) and oodles for men. So unfair

Whats just as annoying as not finding pants that fit is the tops that just are not long enough and ride up underneath the hip belt of the pack

Hmmmm, I didn't think I had chimed in here, yet, but I guess Sardog was reading my mind????

Anyway, my 2 cents comes with a caveat: I have always been on a serious budget. Pretty much everything I've used for winter has come from LLBean outlets. I'll second Michelle's recommendations of the x-country pants with zips(not sure of the brand, but they are available every winter). I like what is available for underlayers, both Bean brand and others available there. I've found Mountain Hardware (I have some hoodies that make a great base layer that are killer!), Marmot, and one or two others.

I'm honestly not terribly swayed by styling or colors, so some of the more expensive gear doesn't really turn my head. If there is some style and/or color then that's an added bonus, so be it, but I don't really care so long as it's functional and keeps me warm when needed.

EMS just had the Endotherms at deep discount ($50) so I tried a pair -- nice stretch and fit - way too long for me at 5"1' and no petite lengths -- and no side zips (which are not a requirement for me - I don't overheat, I have the opposite issue, trouble staying warm!).

Thanks for all of the responses!!! I will check out all of your suggestions!
I do think that the moral of the story is that women that hike in the winter are grossly overlooked.... wish I knew what I could do other than sending pleading letters to gear manufacturers and try to stop being so envious of my male counterparts!