Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Women's SPECIFIC Gear (Especially Pants)

I'm 5'2 and 120 lbs and have the same problem. I usually wear polar fleece pants that one of my daughters bought me in a short length, but they don't work real well when there is a lot of snow because the snow sticks to them from the snowshoes kicking it up. I found a cheap pair of ski pants at Gander Mt that worked pretty well last winter in a short length, but they are too insulated for hiking and I've been looking for something else.

I did notice that LLBean has a pretty big selection of winter hiking pants and they always have short lengths. I bought a pair of regular hiking pants (northface) online since I couldn't find petite length anyplace. They got a little chewed up with prickers in the Western part of the Catskills this summer, but they dry nice and quick. The online stuff is usually cheaper and you get reviews which is nice.

I think more men hike than women, so it's probably a money thing like everything.

Quote Originally Posted by nietzschescat View Post
    I think more men hike than women, so it's probably a money thing like everything.
    I know more women who hike than men.

The money thing is why most clothing products come out first in black. Then, if they are really popular and enough are sold (like the EMS Tech Wick) they come out in popular colors.

Last winter EMS came out with a new down "sweater" -- they were pretty bold and manufactured it in two different colors for women: chocolate and teal. They came with either the chocolate on the outside and the teal for the liner, or the other way around. I think the men's version was lime green and black.
    Ellen

Volunteer Maintainer: East Pond Trail

"Through winter-time we call on spring/And through the spring on summer call/And when abounding hedges ring/Declare that winter's best of all/And after that there's nothing good/Because the spring-time has not come... William Butler Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by daxs View Post
    In the winter i just my Precip rainpants over a long john layer. Usually patagonia light or mid weight pants. If it's really cold (below zero) I'll put a pair of fleece pants on too. I have the full leg zip pants so I can vent if i'm too hot.
    This is what me and my wife (when she comes with) both do. You can find precips in different inseams.

Regarding suspenders, they're a PITA to manage in winter/bad weather. I'd consider spending some $ with a tailor. A higher waist on the pant and a longer tail on your top base layer should make suspenders unnecessary. Unfortunately fashion dictates lower waist and shorter top cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by sardog1
    Taking a look at gaiagirl's link above, I'm wondering whether she might have been referring to Marmot instead?
    wardsgirl's link.
    Dead Last > Did Not Finish > Did Not Start

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

Patagucci fan here

If your wallet can take the hit, Patagonia's women's Super Alpine bibs are great. Mine are going on 10 years old. They have a zip that works in concert with their Superfly tights (not sure if they're still being made) which makes for discrete nature calls. As a woman, this system was very much appreciated on Denali.

Patagonia's women's Alpine Guide Pants are also awesome although they are a softshell material.

Haven't tried them, but the Northwall Pants sound like what you're looking for - they have suspenders.

If it ain't snowin' there, we ain't goin' there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinkyfeet View Post
    If your wallet can take the hit, Patagonia's women's Super Alpine bibs are great. Mine are going on 10 years old. They have a zip that works in concert with their Superfly tights (not sure if they're still being made) which makes for discrete nature calls. As a woman, this system was very much appreciated on Denali.

Patagonia's women's Alpine Guide Pants are also awesome although they are a softshell material.

Haven't tried them, but the Northwall Pants sound like what you're looking for - they have suspenders.
    +1 on the Guide Pants. Mine (men's version) have more than ten years of wear on them. (The guy I loaned them to in a snowy elk camp at 10,000 feet this past October sure liked them as well.)
    sardog1

"Å! kjære Bymann gakk ei stjur og stiv,
    men kom her up og kjenn eit annat Liv!
    kom hit, kom hit, og ver ei daud og lat!
    kom kjenn, hot d'er, som heiter Svevn og Mat,
    og Drykk og Tørste og det heile, som
    er Liv og Helse i ein Hovedsum."

-- Aasmund O. Vinje, "Til Fjells!"

For hiking in fall/winter/spring, you really need pants with a full side zip, so they can go on over your clothes without taking your boots off, and can be easily taken off again when you overheat. I have a very old and ratty pair that I have been using forever, and I have not been able to find a replacement. I am 5' 2" and 115 lbs.

Definitely agree it is a pain!

(And no way am I paying $600 for a pair of Patagonia bibs. Yikes!)
    Last edited by Elizabeth; 01-13-2012 at 03:15 PM.
    "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."

Ditto on the EMS Endo. I bought the men's Endo Pant. Then I bought the women's EndoTherm. Believe it or not, the Therm version is only available in women's right now. I like them both, but I searched high and low for the men's initially.

I find that if you want pockets and functional gear, it's still best to head for the men's pants. If you want something with flat seems and nearly invisible pockets head for the women's.....

That said I really do like the endotherms, though I do have cinch up the waist still. I have bigger thighs and a smaller waist. I'm 5'7" though so the length is not normally an issue.

The EMS Endo's appear to only be sold in one inseam length.

Too bad they don't emulate REI in that regard.

I also use & love REI Taku pants for winter hiking & snowshoeing.
    AND they come in Petite sizes!

They're a bit on the pricey side,
    But....
    You definately get what you pay for,
    & they're well made to last year after year.

I Love the thigh vents & lower leg zippers

http://www.rei.com/product/785627/re...-womens-petite
    Tricia

I have had the same complaints for years....I have found that Mountain Hardware fits me the best for pants..I'm 5'4" and have a few curves.

The waist has a way to tighten it and they have ample room in thighs and butt area. I have found they are worth the price for a great fit!
    You need special shoes for hiking - and a bit of a special soul as well. ~Emme Woodhull-Bäche

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
    -Gandhi

I recently returned some nearly 10 year-old patagonia pants to the newbury street store because a zipper was busted. I was hoping they'd send them off and fix the zipper, but the guy said "take any pair of pants you like" and they sent me off with snazzy $600 Super Alpine bibs! I haven't worn them yet, but with something that pricy I feel like I should be able to wear it to weddings, business meetings etc... In fact, maybe I will ...

hiking clothing for women

sister you are singing to the choir!

I have trouble finding adequate outdoors clothing-especially pants- for women. Mens clothing, in general, does not fit- too slim where I need the room. Pants too short in the waist. For a long time I wore heavy leggings- purchased in regular-type womens clothing stores or athletic clothing stores. But I am not a size 8 anymore

I have been lucky a few times

REI had some of their own brand pants that fit me well (curvy 5'3" also), also Campmor. Also, look for Royal Robbins clothing.

But it is as you write- little selection for women (especially in the low price end of the spectrum) and oodles for men. So unfair
    Solvitur Ambulando
    "...Go ahead"

Whats just as annoying as not finding pants that fit is the tops that just are not long enough and ride up underneath the hip belt of the pack
    Carol

Hmmmm, I didn't think I had chimed in here, yet, but I guess Sardog was reading my mind????

Anyway, my 2 cents comes with a caveat: I have always been on a serious budget. Pretty much everything I've used for winter has come from LLBean outlets. I'll second Michelle's recommendations of the x-country pants with zips(not sure of the brand, but they are available every winter). I like what is available for underlayers, both Bean brand and others available there. I've found Mountain Hardware (I have some hoodies that make a great base layer that are killer!), Marmot, and one or two others.

I'm honestly not terribly swayed by styling or colors, so some of the more expensive gear doesn't really turn my head. If there is some style and/or color then that's an added bonus, so be it, but I don't really care so long as it's functional and keeps me warm when needed.
    Chris

In this crowded world, our sense of coexistence with wilderness life can be enforced by heights that are hard to climb. --- John Hay