CDTA shutting down

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jniehof

Reaction score
I received a sad email today from the Continental Divide Trail Alliance. The long and short is: "The CDTA Board of Directors has made the very difficult and painful decision to cease operations of the CDTA...We have not been able to raise the necessary financial resources to sustain the continued operations of the organization."

I presume the Forest Service will keep up work on finishing the Trail, but this leaves the CDT without an advocacy organization, or a provider of maps and guidebooks. It's hard keeping momentum behind this Trail: it's much further from population centers than the AT or PCT, it's just plain remote for resupply (and even water in NM), and low use makes it difficult to follow. (I think its reputation in that regard is a little overstated.) Eventually its time will come, but I guess that time's a bit further in the future.

I thought this was about the Capital District Transportation Authority shutting down...

Oddly enough, I was just reading this website the other day. Sad. :( I hope something can come along and take the place of this organization.

Very sad about the CDTA, but thank goodness Jim Wolfe and the Society (CDTS) are still active in helping the trail. Amazingly, the whole trail has been GPS'd and the remainder of the trail maps should be available this year (WY/MO).

http://www.bearcreeksurvey.com/

So, between the "Wolfe guidebooks", Jonathan Ley maps and the above maps, hikers should have enough info to make it start to finish.

Unadogger - ALDHA-west keeps track of triple crowners and they report about 130 triple crowners............so, prob. right around there for the CDT, as most people finish with that trail.

Last edited:
One of my friends finished the CDT this summer. He started in 2010 from the south and made it to CO before giving it up due to deep snows. This year he started in the north and finished. Said he'd never do it again - too much road walking/route finding. Said he'd do the PCT again in a heartbeat. Don't recall asking him about the AT and whether he'd consider doing it again.

Last edited: