New multi-use trail segment to cost $83/inch

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoySwkr

Reaction score
http://www.theconcordinsider.com/article/nature-101-23

The guy in the picture looking at the swamp is a retired US DOT employee and avid biker who says that section of trail will cost $1000/foot and want to pay for it with donations and grants not local taxes. Apparently Stowe VT built a new trail by accepting donations by the inch and of course this guy knows how many Federal $$ are floating around.

Think what the WMNF would be like if they could find that sort of money!

It's amazing what can be done by hard-working people with vision and stamina. I'm thinking of John Andrews from Maine who has worked so hard and enthusiastically on the Eastern Trail greenway there. Most recently, last fall a bridge was constructed over the highway just north of the Kennebunk rest area. Another new bridge crosses Route 1. Right now the trail is about 65miles for non-motorized traffic, with plans for further expansion. http://www.easterntrail.org/

It's great to hear about hard work going into greenways in more urbanized areas. :)

Another strip of pavement? That's what people on this board want? :mad:

I realize that a more natural looking dirt or gravel trail( 10 to 12 ft is a road in my eyes) will require more maintenance but wouldn't that be offset by the cheaper initial cost over paved?

Another strip of pavement? That's what people on this board want? :mad:

Well, remember- this trail, when completed, is going to run right smack through the center of Condord, NH, which is a pretty heavily urbanized area. A wide paved trail makes sense in this situation for a variety of reasons.

Visually, the paved trail is unlikely to have a huge impact. It'd be a different story if the trail was planned to run through a more rural area, but we're talking about the capitol of New Hampshire- a population center with nearly 50,000 residents. And with those numbers, given the amount of use that this trail is likely to get when completed, I'd say that pavement makes sense from an economic perspective as well- the higher levels of use are likely to result in significantly more wear and tear to this trail than many other greenways receive.

A paved trail also makes it easier for a wider variety of uses, which are sure to occur in such an urbanized environment. Roller-blading is sort of a thing of the 90's, but some people still do it. Plus you've got the folks that use the skis-on-wheels for x-country training when it's not winter- it'd be a lot easier for them to use a paved trail. And a paved trail is a heck of a lot easier for those confined to wheel chairs to use than a dirt or gravel trail is.

From an ecological perspective, with a trail that will be used as much as this, dirt or gravel are unlikely to provide any greater level of ecologic protection, and may actually result in a greater level of ecological impact from the trail. Dirt or gravel would become significantly impacted from use, and you're likely to see greater levels of runoff as a result- rainwater will simply be incapable of percolating through the surface of the trail. And with that runoff, erosion and sedimentation of nearby waterbodies is going to be a significant concern along the trail. In fact, a paved trail that uses some of the newer types of pavements available that allow for rain water percolation might have a greater level of percolation than a gravel or dirt trail would. Believe it or not, a well-planed and constructed paved trail in an urbanized area could be more ecologically friendly than a dirt or gravel trail would be.

As for the width of the trail, again, it's more than likely that this is due to the level of use that the trail is likely to receive, and probably stems from safety/visibility concerns. With a combination of both fast and slow activities (biking vs. walking) occurring, and 2 way traffic present on the trail, you're going to want enough space for people to pass in the center. This way, a biker can safely overtake a jogger in one direction, without having to worry about impeding traffic headed in the other direction.

Building a trail is often times very similar to building a road. This is especially true when it comes to urban greenways that are likely to receive high levels of use and impact. And, just like with road construction, there are actually standards for trail construction- how much to rainbow the cross section of the trail to facilitate sheeting of runoff, width based on the likely amount of use, when to use pavement vs. gravel vs. dirt, maximum incline, etc., that are all based on years of experience and research in the matter. I'm sure that the decision to make this a paved trail was not made lightly, especially given how much it will cost! :)

Last edited:
I recently read in the last year that the health care savings is anywhere from 10-20 times the cost of putting in "trails" per year. Also the two green ways that I live near also handle a lot of bike commuters per day also.

http://www.theconcordinsider.com/article/nature-101-23

The guy in the picture looking at the swamp is a retired US DOT employee and avid biker who says that section of trail will cost $1000/foot and want to pay for it with donations and grants not local taxes. Apparently Stowe VT built a new trail by accepting donations by the inch and of course this guy knows how many Federal $$ are floating around.

Think what the WMNF would be like if they could find that sort of money!

Dick is a Great Man, He is one of my customers in the real world and he loves his biking as much as we love our hiking. I am glad that things are shaping up for the merrimack greenway trail.

Last edited: