Sleds revisted..

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Read the first review on the EMS website, Jay. It might change your mind.

Actually a fun little sled; I have used it before and I am a bigger guy... It does work best on packed snow but have used it on a variety of hills/snow conditions and it worked well.

I took one a number of years back for winter hiking and camping; really light weight, can be used as a shovel to dig out a cave, a table to prep meals, and on one slushy trip; a dry spot to sit.

For what it is; a basic fun sled, it works well.

DISCLAIMER.... I do work for EMS but used this sled before I worked there.

Read the first review on the EMS website, Jay. It might change your mind.

I saw that, but I have seen many places in the mtns that it should work, who knows the snow conditions the 1st reviewer was using it on, it could be fresh powder which is hard on anything that isn't on runners. The reviewer below it gave it 5 stars so YMMV. For $9 and free shipping, if anything, it should make a nice seat as Kevin states..

Jay

I have one of these as well as a Swiss Bob sled. The Swiss Bob slides a little better. The TSL Quicky sled might be a better option if you don't want to go that fast. It's also lighter than the Swiss Bob. The only thing I don't like is having the handle portion between your legs...it hurts. ;) I wrapped some duct tape around the handle so that it squeezed the handle part together a bit, that way it doesn't dig into your legs as much. For those that say it doesn't work, try going down the ladder section on the Osseo trail. ;)

Last edited:
Note that there is a skinny and a 'not-so-skinny' model of this sled! :D

Knowing Jay, he probably wants the skinny model! :D

Note that there is a skinny and a 'not-so-skinny' model of this sled! :D

Knowing Jay, he probably wants the skinny model! :D

I didn't see a size option, just blue or orange. I chose the blue to match my Osprey, as Orange would just clash. :p

Jay

I dont know where the reviewer tried it out as they are quite popular in the whites. They arent designed for powder but they are ideal for sliding down hiking trails. Do note that some folks object to hikers sliding down hiking trails but thats another thread.

The tradeoff for lighter and more flexible compared to the swiss bob (no longer availlable retail) is that there is minimal cushioning. If you encounter a rock or a stick with your tailbone, its going to hurt a lot worse.

I dont know where the reviewer tried it out as they are quite popular in the whites. They arent designed for powder but they are ideal for sliding down hiking trails. Do note that some folks object to hikers sliding down hiking trails but thats another thread.

The tradeoff for lighter and more flexible compared to the swiss bob (no longer availlable retail) is that there is minimal cushioning. If you encounter a rock or a stick with your tailbone, its going to hurt a lot worse.

Well I would imagine that it would be better than no sled which is what I use now! :)

Ordered and see if I get to use it this winter!

Jay

the $9 sled is too thin - your butt will not approve.

The Swiss-bob however IMHO is gentler on my hammy and the handles help in steering as well as in attachment to a backpack. We have used it on numerous hikes.

Now that I thought about this I used to have the thin $9 version sled. We climbed Mt.Smrk in Moravia and 100 feet from the summit got caught in fierce winds. My son was 7 years old at the time and I decided we were going to go back down - on sleds. He gets on his swiss-bob and heads down. I open my backpack and grab the handle of the thin sled and pull it out. As soon as the paddle was out it got caught by the wind and ripped out of my mittens and literally flew up in the sky until it disappeared :) - I rode my butt until we got back to the protection of the tree line.

Last edited:
Well the blue sled arrived yesterday (after getting the shipping email in the same day!) and my initial impressions is it is wide, must of gotten the fat sled :D but after a test run on my bed, guess it's not too much wider. I could see how the handle though might be an issue. It looks functional and better/safer than on my pants which is what I do now... Could be a really nice fan on a hot summer day as well so multiseasonal usage. hahaha.

Jay

Picked this "snowboogie" up at EMS last year. It works great in a backyard luge. I'm itching to strap this baby to my back for a couple of hikes this winter. :D I haven't seen this same sled in stores since though.

IMG_1318.jpg