Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Boots ????

Winter Boots ????

I need new winter hiking boots and I was thinking of treating myself to a pair of technical mountaineering boots like the La Sportive Nepal
    http://www.backcountry.com/la-sporti...ring-boot-mens

rather than something like the Garmont Momentum
    http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp...23091.12223092

For those who have upgraded to the technical boots .... are they worth the investment?

I wouldn't want to hike in my mountaineering boots unless I was doing something technical. I have both types and I very much prefer wearing the winter hiker over the mountaineering. The analogy I would use is: wearing mountaineering boots in winter is like wearing rock climbing shoes in summer, sure they're better in some situations, but overall the regular boots are much more comfortable.
    Warning: BigNSlow may not actually be all that slow

I know some people who have the Garmont GTX Momentum's and they are really happy with them.

I tried a pair on but sadly they weren't a good fit for my foot.

My husband and another friend hike in Salomon insulated boots and they love them. I believe they come in 200 and 400g thinsulate models.

I have a pair of Merrell Thermo 8's that I've been wearing for the fourth winter. They are pretty nice boot and work well with crampons.

I've tried Mountaineering Plastics (Koflach Degre) in the past and they were a disaster, too stiff, too heavy, really uncomfortable, although some people swear by them.

Guess it all really depends on your foot type.
    ADK 46'r NE115'r NEHH NH 48 x 6 NH48W NH 331/576
    Terra NH 48 x 6+ ~93/100 NEHH ~ ADK 35/46 ~RIP~
    Pemi NH4K~ Gem NH4K

Have them both. Used the Nepal's for 3 years before adding the Garmont's last year.

They are equally warm - for my feet anyways. I've done some running down trails in both - the Nepal's flex enough to run in, but are heavy compared to the Garmont's.

Garmont's take a strapon crampon, while the Nepal's allow you to use a stepin crampon which are quicker and easier to put on.

The Nepal's are stiff enough to use for ice climbing.

Before the Nepals I used plastic boots - the Nepals felt like putting on a pair of slippers after use plastics!

If you are mostly hiking the 4K's the Garmonts are less $$$, lighter, and more comfortable. If you think you want to add ice work you will want the Nepal's.

I have a pair of Scarpa Inferno mountaineering boots. They are warm and comfortable but too heavy to use for long, hard days (like Rainier). Off to consignment they'll go.

This weekend, after realizing that my Garmount GTX winter boots were really too narrow for my foot, I purchased a pair of the high-top 400 gram Keen boots. (Off to consignment they'll go, too.)

I'm a little concerned that the Keen might flex too much, but my feet won't be cold and the toe width is good, so I won't have that darned forefoot pain.

A downside is that the Keen model I wanted is only available in a men's model. I fit the men's size 9.
    Ellen

Volunteer Maintainer: East Pond Trail

"Through winter-time we call on spring/And through the spring on summer call/And when abounding hedges ring/Declare that winter's best of all/And after that there's nothing good/Because the spring-time has not come... William Butler Yeats

I wear Lasprotiva " Lhostes" they are like a level lower then the nepals and I love them, been using them for 7years now and they have plenty of life in them.

I too have both boots. For me the Nepal fit my feet like no other boot I've ever had. Great quality but that come at a big cost in dollars. The Garmont are a great bang for the buck. I did have some serious break in pain with the Garmont. The Top of boot left some huge welts on the side of my lower leg. I personally like the Nepal better. Yes they are heavier, but the fit on my feet is so sweet. Also go with what fits best.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSunRa View Post
    I. I did have some serious break in pain with the Garmont. The Top of boot left some huge welts on the side of my lower leg.
    That's exactly why I returned the Garmont's. I didn't want to suffer through a break in period. Trail runners have spoiled me with "out of the box" comfort!

ADK 46'r NE115'r NEHH NH 48 x 6 NH48W NH 331/576
    Terra NH 48 x 6+ ~93/100 NEHH ~ ADK 35/46 ~RIP~
    Pemi NH4K~ Gem NH4K

I've been using the Nepal's for several years now for both winter hiking and ice climbing. They're a great boot. I do wear chemical warmers in them when the temps are in single digits or below.
    Woody

I guess I got to rent a pair of Nepals and try a test hike.

I'm just not sure if they are overkill for the Adirondack winter hiking that I do.

Quote Originally Posted by erugs View Post
    I have a pair of Scarpa Inferno mountaineering boots. They are warm and comfortable but too heavy to use for long, hard days (like Rainier). Off to consignment they'll go.

This weekend, after realizing that my Garmount GTX winter boots were really too narrow for my foot, I purchased a pair of the high-top 400 gram Keen boots. (Off to consignment they'll go, too.)

I'm a little concerned that the Keen might flex too much, but my feet won't be cold and the toe width is good, so I won't have that darned forefoot pain.

A downside is that the Keen model I wanted is only available in a men's model. I fit the men's size 9.
    I love my keens I was doing avy training in some cold weather this weekend lots of standing around and my feet were warm. Most of the group was wearing the nepals and some complained of cold. They do flex quite a bit but they pair pretty well IMO with grivel g10s and mircospikes
    wm48 42/48
    nehh 45/100
    52wav 7/52

Quote Originally Posted by bignslow View Post
    I wouldn't want to hike in my mountaineering boots unless I was doing something technical. I have both types and I very much prefer wearing the winter hiker over the mountaineering. The analogy I would use is: wearing mountaineering boots in winter is like wearing rock climbing shoes in summer, sure they're better in some situations, but overall the regular boots are much more comfortable.
    Pretty much sums it up...
    "Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball."

ADK46: 33/46 W6
    NH48: 26/48 W8

Quote Originally Posted by una_dogger View Post
    That's exactly why I returned the Garmont's. I didn't want to suffer through a break in period. Trail runners have spoiled me with "out of the box" comfort!

IM currently breaking in a pair of Lasportive Makalues for the coming summer, it takes about 150 miles until they are somewhat comfortable, in the mean time, I use athletic tape covered with duck tape on my heals and remember " Pain is your friend"

Never broke in my La Sportiva Nepals or Garmonts. Just put them on and went hiking. Never any issues. Ditto for any trail runner.

The Garmonts are designed for a foot that has more volume. I use a thicker custom orthodic and still had to add a thin foam footbed to them to take up the slack.

Everybodies feet are differant - go to EMS, REI and any other store you can find and try differant boots on to see what fits the best.

Do people ever use Mickey Mouse boots anymore?