NH trailhead vandalism

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stan said:
I like Maddy's imagination. How about a "pre-reported as stolen" credit card?
NEAT IDEA!!!
It's is incredible to think that this was going on in a mall parking lot and with "added security". How it got into the newspaper was the thief was finally caught carrying his brown bag full of " use you imagination"!
You don't even want to know what has gone on in our hospital parking lot with a full time police department. A big part of the problem is that the cops are invisible where I work. We go out late at night and never see a soul!
I did think of vandals seeking revenge for the ex-lax brownies, etc. At least it would keep them "out of work" for a day of so. They might not even figure it out right away.
I remember reading about small cameras you can get for your property that would video anyone trespassing. They wouldn't have to be a really sophisticated or expensive. I can't believe that in this day of technology we don't have something that could record activities in a small parking area.
I think a big part of the problem is we allow them to do this and get away with it. We are more afraid of them than they are of us. They have the edge and they know it.
I had problems with teens on my property and they were starting to commit acts of destruction. I thought the same thing. If I make trouble, it will be even worse. I opted to give them major grief. They were in tears as the police arrived and I wasted no time showing these little creeps how very large my dogs teeth were. They sobbed in my driveway for some time. Suddenly the bullies were having a change of heart . They were none to happy when I requested that the police notify their parents immediately of their undesirable behavior. End of problem. These were not small kids.
IF we can use aversive conditioning on bears, why not humans???

Maddy,

Vandals on your property where you can wait for them. Big difference from trailhead parking circumstances. Now, if you want to wait in your car trunk at the trailhead w/big dog, well, go for it.

Little video camera could work in the daytime, and if it doesn't get destroyed or stolen, but what if theives strike in the dark?

Stolen credit cards are often sold anonymously -- you might get a stupid criminal, but probably not the one who smashed your car window (who still profits and can strike again).

It's a tough problem, but anything short of a physical presence by law enforcement or car-owners has a very small chance of success or even could make the situation worse.

Last edited:
hello,

when i was backpacking the weekend and week before thanksgiving, there were 2 break-ins at the 19milebrook trailhead. 2 hikers saw the damage the day before(they were doing dayhikes and staying at joe dodge lodge) told me and offered to follow me to pinkham to park and give me a ride back to the 19mile trailhead. real nice guys, love the people in the backcountry. after our trip we easily hitched a ride back to the car 4 days later, no worries.

this really sucks.

my girlfriend's car was broken into at my house months ago, and last month my jeep was stolen...recovered a week later. we were super paranoid about parking on this trip with all this in the back of our minds and the warning of break-ins.

i agree leaving special gifts and shockers are a bad idea, unless you kill the thief, otherwise your ride will suffer as they pay back the favor

crime

vote for people who put judges on the bench who pass out maximum sentences. talk wont do anything. results are the bottom line.

Starchild: I see you live in Hartford -- which means I could instantly empathize. I grew up there and lived there for about 10 years as an adult, and in that time, I was burglarized three times and had my cars broken into about a dozen times -- including once when it was parked at the state Capitol and seven Capitol cops were on duty. That place is horrendous for thievery (the city, not the Capitol, though that is a debatable!) ;)

This seems to be more of common trend, unfortunately. On the AT when it crosses from VA to WV the parking area there had frequent problems with break ins with cars, but then it was taken to another level and these freaking punks were torching the cars.

I am just disgusted by this whole trend and these punks that ruin the back country experience for us. :mad:

One suspect caught

Heard on the news (WMUR) this morning that one suspect in the trailhead breakins has been caught with more arrests soon to follow.

On page A7 of today’s Union Leader:

“Gorham man charged in theft from vehicles

"Gorham – A local man was arrested Thursday after an investigation into a string of 17 car break-ins in the towns of Greens Grant and Randolph, near Mount Washington.

"Eric Roy, 19, is charged with two counts of theft by unauthorized taking, though state police said more charges are pending.

"Police said Roy, three other men and two underage girls are suspects in the break-ins, which happened early Nov. 27 at trailheads for the White Mountain National Forest.

"Police said the break-ins involves thousands of dollars of damage to vehicles. All but one had items stolen from it, including clothing, hiking gear, wallets, credit cards, music CDs, jewelry and money.

"Anyone with information is asked to contact State Police Troop F at 846-3333.”

*sigh* I already take my wallet when I leave the car. Now it looks like I’ll have to hike with my diamond tiara as well.

Break-ins

That's great they caught someone. But the question is, this kid is 19?, who was the jerk/s that did it back in the early 80's at the Appalachia parking lot off rt. 2? You have to ask. is it a family deal or a well known easy pluck by the locals?? Maybe not, but never had any problems in any other parking area, ever. So I was supprised to see the post, reminding me of that one incident. Was at that parking area last Sat. for the first time since then & someone pointed out broken glass. The police back then seemed like they really didn't care & said don't keep your hopes too high at us getting anything back. THANKS! Was told there is a little political garbage over who's problem it is. WMNF, local police, state police, etc. etc. as mentioned above. Another THANKS! If it is hit so much, it wouldn't take too much to catch more of them. I know, one man from each agency & give them all the glory in the paper! :eek:
Tom

Three more arrested for the break ins, one 19 year old from Gorham, two juveniles from Berlin. The news report on NHPR today reported that a large amount of the stolen items were recovered. Now the question is, do any one one of the these individuals have any money to cover the damage they did ? (depressingly the answer is probably no )