Mt. Washington & Tuckerman Ravine 1/16/12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMOutdoors

Reaction score
On Monday, it was a perfect weather day for my next challenge, which was to summit Mt. Washington by going up Tuckerman Ravine Trail...of some sort. It was a difficult and beautifully intense challenge, and one that certainly met my expectations perfectly.

I love this rugged view on the approach on Tuckerman Ravine Trail...
P1160151.JPG

As I make my way up the right side, two rangers do avalanche testing...see their photos from the day on the MWAC site.
P1160203.JPG

The path I took....
P1160210.JPG

Descending along Lion Head Trail...
P1160274.JPG

Check the rest of the ravine pictures and my summit photos on my blog.

Glad you made it up the bowl. I was wondering if you have any Avy knowlege? I was up there a couple hours after you digging pits and doing compression test climbers left of were the snow rangers were in your photos. That mornings avy report Listed the route you took as a moderate avy risk meaning that natural avys arent likely but human triggered are possible. I was able to converse with the snow rangers about what they had found and they had said that deep lee pockets exisit in the bowl on the right side mainly the in the path of the summer trail and that under the right circumstantces they could propogate. I dont want this to sound as if I am telling you what you did was wrong. I just wanted to make sure that you knew of the danger under your feet and that if you continued with this type of climbing( which is very fun!) that you knew about the risks and signs that you may be in a bad place. I am glad your trip was a sucess and your photos and video were great. I would recomend picking up the book snow sense it can teach you a lot for $10

Assessing avalanche risk is one those perennial threads, just as what winter boots should I buy.

The NWAC uses five levels of describing avalanche risk ranging from Low (both natural and human-triggered avalanches unlikely) to Extreme (avalanches of both types certain). Moderate Risk is the level 2.

The way I judge the risk for me personally is - if I was approaching a bar for a drink, and bars used the same rating system - would I enter the bar if a sign said "The risk of getting shot is rated as Low"? Would I enter the bar if the sign said "The risk of getting shot is rated as Moderate"?

What we do when entering an avalanche zone is a personal decision. I know what risks I'm willing to assume, and what I'm not.

Assessing avalanche risk is one those perennial threads, just as what winter boots should I buy.

The NWAC uses five levels of describing avalanche risk ranging from Low (both natural and human-triggered avalanches unlikely) to Extreme (avalanches of both types certain). Moderate Risk is the level 2.

The way I judge the risk for me personally is - if I was approaching a bar for a drink, and bars used the same rating system - would I enter the bar if a sign said "The risk of getting shot is rated as Low"? Would I enter the bar if the sign said "The risk of getting shot is rated as Moderate"?

What we do when entering an avalanche zone is a personal decision. I know what risks I'm willing to assume, and what I'm not.

Totally right Kevin, its also worth noting that anyone going out in level 4 or 5 is taking huge risks. Level 2 is not super dangerous like 4 or 5 but you could still be hurt or killed. We all have different levels of risk and I wouldnt tell anyone not to go were they want to go. I just spent a weekend learning the dangers of Avalanches and wanted to share with others what I learned and hopefully what I have said will make others want to learn a little bit so they can stay safe.

Freight - Thank you. I was aware, especially after having done it and watching the video myself, that this might spark some discussion, which I am completely open to. I don't have any avalanche training at all. I only recently took the EMS Winter Climbing, which teaches you how to walk on crampons basically, and where to locate the axe when swinging it, and certain other basic techniques. We were not able to test any self-arresting, I've only done a few practice tries on recent hikes. I've only done some basic reading about avalanches.

I realized it was moderate. I don't believe it was until Monday morning. It certainly made me think and ponder. There were two men behind me after passing the hut who asked if I had avalanche equipment. I told them no, and that I was heading in to "check it out". I noticed they went backwards, and when two men came back they had green jackets on, I think they went back to get their shovels and testing gear, come out and do some testing...and to watch me, I think. I have that feeling. They never said anything else to me despite Jeff Lane walking near me once more. I put on my crampons at lunch rocks, and was on my way.

As you can see in the video there were a couple of spots that sounded hollow underneath. Those were certainly nervous spots because there is water or air underneath. Also, the snow around the scrub near the top was the most challenging spot. It was softer, yet the most vertical, which is why you see me leaning my body much closer to the surface. I will certainly look into that book and hopefully soon I can get into an avalanche course.

Kevin - I agree completely that its a personal choice. I like the article written from the Concord Monitor posted in the thread regarding the recent tragedy. Even at the top of the ravine, on the way to summit, its obvious that it would not be too difficult to be blown towards the ravine in bad weather. I thought about it every second as I walked to the summit. Thankfully, I had superb weather, and my skills were sufficient to accomplish it, however I realize there were definite risks, and I had identified them to myself before committing.

Grouse - I've watched it several times myself again, each time I sweat profusely. I sat down with my parents to show them, and they were literally speechless.

Last edited:
I am glad you had these thoughts in your mind when you were climbing. I took my class through IMCS and would recomend them highly. Until then A good rule of thumb would be stay on the Outies and not the Inies. Meaning gullies and valleys( were lots of summer trails travel) are the worst places to be stay on ridges as much as possible and if you have to traverse a gully or open area do it as high up as possible above the apex of the slope

kevin your bar system rocks, very accurate when you think about it.