Guy and Laura Waterman article on Winter travel above treeline

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooperhill

Reaction score
I found this old 1994 Backpacker article by Guy and Laura Waterman on a case study and 13 lessons learned on travel above treeline in winter - thought I'd share it with everyone here. A bit dated and not comprehensive but some good stuff none the less.

If anything else, it's fun to look at the old advertisements.

http://books.google.com/books?id=T-EDAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PP1&pg=PA48#v=onepage&q&f=true

A very well written article that everyone interested in winter hiking should read.

I've read it elsewhere, but I can't remember where- perhaps it was republished in one of their books?

Cool. Thanks for posting. I almost asked what "WINTER ABO" referred to, then saw the opposing page "VE TREELINE" :eek:. Looks like a decent issue on other counts also.

I always liked #12. :)

A buddy of mine learned this lesson the hard way after being stuck at 17,000 feet on Denali for 5 days with only a Danielle Steele novel, which someone else had left, for diversion. :eek:

I always liked #12. :)

A buddy of mine learned this lesson the hard way after being stuck at 17,000 feet on Denali for 5 days with only a Danielle Steele novel, which someone else had left, for diversion. :eek:
Hopefully it was not "crime and punishment" or "moby dick".5 days!wow thats quite the story to tell people,glad they made it out....

Semi-related... This made me smile. :)

Amazon%252520books.jpg

I'm a big fan of all of Guy and Laura's books. Was glad to have grabbed a used hardcover copy of Forest and Crag a couple of years ago when I found that it was out of print. Even moreso now that the cheapest used one on Amazon is $195 :eek:. I'll pick up the Kindle edition too since that's available now. Nice advertisement for Tom and Atticus too :)

I used to run into guy waterman quite a bit as he maintained the ridge between lafeyette and Little haystack. I always had alot of respect for him, he was not your average guy and his experiences in the Whites quite frankly, inspired me.