Stratton VT snowshoeing?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gram

Reaction score
Our daughters are doing the Komen for the Cure Snowshoe Romp on 1/28 and are looking for a good snowshoe hike the following day.

Looking for suggestions for 3-4 miles with moderate elevation gain and near Stratton. We are not at all familiar with the area.

Thanks!

The National Geographic Green Mountain South map covers that area. You should be able to find it for sale at any gear store in the northeast.

The Lye Brook Wilderness is right near there, but access could be difficult in winter, since the main access road to the south isn't plowed...

EDIT: Bromley isn't too far to the north. That'd be a good bet. Not too long of a hike, probably gets enough use that the trail is likely to be packed out, a shelter midway up to stop and take a break at, and a tower on the summit with great views.

And it's worth noting that the Long Trail / AT goes over the summit of Stratton. I've summer hiked it from the south, and I recall it being nice (although it was almost 30 years ago...not sure how good the recollection is). Also not sure if you can drive the Arlington / West Wardsboro Road to the trail in the winter...

Also not sure if you can drive the Arlington / West Wardsboro Road to the trail in the winter...

From the NG map, it seems that the winter parking area is where the Grout Pond Road is, a little bit less than a mile east of where the AT crosses the road.

I'd second Bromley and I'd also suggest Spruce Peak which shares the same trailhead as Bromley but is across Rt 30 (crazy road to try to cross, be careful if you do)... Both are fairly short, but I think longer than 3 miles, both have shelters and Bromley has an observation deck and a shelter at the top. Spruce peak itself is just off the trail on a spur path and it's shelter is just beyond the summit.

Another interesting idea which I am not sure how far away from Stratton is Mt Olga which has a firetower on it and is a very short hike, probably shorter than Bromley or Spruce by themselves... It is east of Wilmington and along Rt 9 by Molly Stark State Park. It has an old ski center in it that you can hike up if you park along the north side of Rt 9. Otherwise, there are trails from Molly Stark as well though I presume the campground is closed in the winter... so not sure if you would be able to park in the campground where the trailhead is.

Jay

Catamount Trail?

this runs the length of Vermont and crosses Rte 30 & 11 in section 6. http://www.catamounttrail.org/trail/sections/ This link shows the sections and has maps. I'd guess you could also snowshoe these. The AT/LT trailhead for Bromley & Spruce Peak is about 1/2 mile toward Manchester(west) from the Jct Rte 30 & 11, just west of Bromley Ski Area. The Kelly Stand(Arlington/West Wardsboro) Road is generally plowed to the AT/LT Trailhead off Rte 100, but not from the Arlington end. Mt Olga(Hogback MT) can be accessed from the height of land at the Old Skyline Restruant on Rte 9. Lots of room to back on the eastbound shoulder and it is where the old ski area is located. You might be able to take ski lift to top of Stratton and it's 3/4 mile south(probably packed out? could ask at Stratton) to the Stratton Mountain Fire Tower which you could climb to the enclosed cabin with 360 degree views...if weather cooperates :p

Bromley from Mad Tom Notch Road is a really nice snowshoe - not much elevation gain, although you do need a car/suv that can handle snowy hills to get to the trailhead.

Otherwise, there are trails from Molly Stark as well though I presume the campground is closed in the winter... so not sure if you would be able to park in the campground where the trailhead is.
The park is gated and parking on Rte.9 is discouraged, one book suggests parking on a nearby side road

Bromley and Stratton are both fine hikes but close to double the length requested, there are shorter loops in the Grout Pond area S of the road

The park is gated and parking on Rte.9 is discouraged, one book suggests parking on a nearby side road

Bromley and Stratton are both fine hikes but close to double the length requested, there are shorter loops in the Grout Pond area S of the road

Thanks, a friend and hiked it this past fall (the Day before Irene struck) from the place that MTNRUNR writes:

"be accessed from the height of land at the Old Skyline Restruant on Rte 9. " as there is a huge pulloff on the north side of Rt 9 and we walked past the old restaurant to the old ski run trails, then we came down through the campground then back up the other trail and down to our car so we kind of climbed the firetower twice cause it is a very short hike.

Jay

Just hike Stratton Mountain this past Saturday from the Arlington / West Wardsboro Road. It's plowed from the east side all the way to the trailhead. Very nice and gradual climb to the summit that has a fire tower on top. Round trip is a bit under 8 miles. This trail has better crowd controll then Bromley AT section. I climb Bromley Sunday, there were a fair amount of skiers/broarders hiking up to ski down (not a bad idea). If you need directions just ask a local how to get to Kelly Stand. The trail head is about a 1\4 mile down the road.

Dave

Grout Pond has trails also off the Arlington-West Wardsboro Road. :)

You are right Dave. I have lucked out but I never go on weekends and most holidays. Took a chance on Thanksgiving. Fresh powder, one hiker as I left in later pm. Nice powder but not quite enough for snowshoes.
It was a spectacular day indeed.

(I'm home sick and bored, so I took a quick look at some of my maps) Bromley from the Mad Tom side is a 5-mile round trip, but there's minimal elevation gain. (it's 6 miles and steeper coming up from Rt 11)

Styles Peak - also accessed from Mad Tom Notch Road - is 3.2 miles, but a bit steeper.

There's also the West River trail out of Jamaica State Park 4.6 Rt, with a couple of optional side trips. It's built on an old railroad bed, so it's very level. You will run into more people, but no snowmobiles.

Oh, and you can snowshoe on the Catamount. Some sections in that area are more scenic than others, so it would be worth talking to people at Stratton for suggestions if you decide to go that route.

Last edited:
This is a good one.
http://www.merckforest.org/
Cabins, lots of trails, very neat place. Was recommended to me some time about by the folks at the Mountain Goat in Manchester.
Great place to explore.

Thanks, everyone for the good suggestions. Also for warning us about unplowed trailheads, etc. Really helpful since we're unfamiliar with the area.

But how nice to finally have some snow!