Mount Washington Observatory Summit Volunteer 1/19-25/12/11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Judy and Emma

Reaction score
Once again I have the privilege of being a volunteer for the Mount Washington Observatory. I've actually lost track of how many times I've been up to do this now, but I wouldn't say I was a veteran, more of an intermediate. I've been paired with another volunteer again and for the next 7 days we'll cook and clean here at the Obs for the crew and some occasional guests. Our trip here was delayed by a day. A normal shift change day is Wednesday for the crew and volunteers, but this Tuesday night a cold front moved in and brought with it plummeting temperatures, low visibility and steady winds above the century mark which made a snow tractor ride to the summit impossible. The peak wind gust was 129mph Tuesday night into Wednesday morning, but Thursday morning broke bright and clear, and although still pretty cold, nothing like the wind-chills which forced last weeks crew to stay an extra day on the summit.

_DSC0005.jpg

Our Destination

_DSC0048.jpg

Home for the Next Seven Days

_DSC0050.jpg

View West to Franconia Ridge

_DSC0063.jpg

Southwest to Mount Carrigain, The Osceolas and the Hancocks

_DSC0066.jpg

Looking Down the Long Arm of the Southern Presidentials

_DSC0079.jpg

Toasty

KDT

Last edited:
I'm so jealous! Do you get to post one of the observer updates on the site? How's the internet connection up there? They just installed a new land line recently if I'm not mistaken. What do you do on a daily basis?

@ Jacob

The volunteer program is open to all members of the Obs:

http://www.mountwashington.org/about/volunteer/

The daily duties consist mainly of cooking and cleaning for the crew, usually 4 but sometimes more, and for visitors to the summit. They have a program known as Edutrips that can bring up to 10 extra folks to the summit for a night. So, it is possible you could be cooking for up to 16 people on some nights. You are generally paired with a partner to help, but I sometimes have worked alone including 2 Thanksgivings. It is common practice for new volunteers to work a summer shift before being allowed to do a winter shift.

This week we have no Edutrips, but we have a climbing group coming up Saturday and leaving Sunday, and also what is known as a VIP trip that will come up for the day that we will serve lunch.

Usually the last comment of the shift is written by the volunteers.

The internet connection is great!

A Few More From Today

_DSC0080.jpg

Sun Disappears Behind the Clouds

_DSC0081.jpg

Clouds Move Over the Northern Presidentials

_DSC0090.jpg

Clouds Swallow the Southern Presidentials

_DSC0096.jpg

My Partner Made Curry Chicken w/Peppers, Onions and Mushrooms for Supper Tomorrow I'll Cook

KDT

. this Tuesday night a cold front moved in and brought with it plummeting temperatures, low visibility and steady winds above the century mark which made a snow tractor ride to the summit impossible. The peak wind gust was 129mph Tuesday night into Wednesday morning,

and what was the temperature and wind chill? :eek:

"impossible for a snow tractor" OMG

@ Little Rickie

Conditions at 8am Wednesday morning when we would have been loading the tractor to make the ascent were:

25*@ the base of the auto road and 3* at the summit. The summit had sustained winds at 80mph for a -32* windchill.

The real factor was blowing snow and heavy fog which made visibility beyond the plow on the tractor 0'. Tough driving conditions! 8 )

KDT

Friday on the Summit

We spent most of the day inside as conditions outside were mostly blowing snow and fog. I had a good talk with Guy from State Park, then with Mike. Somehow Chris made it up with Dan in the Bombardier so they could change shifts despite 60mph winds and poor visibility.

Around 4pm there was some occasional clearing, so Paul my partner ventured back outside to watch the sun sink below the clouds in the west. This afternoon was pretty high up in the category of beautiful nature scenes I have witnessed. We stood surrounded in orange glowing fog as 65mph winds whipped snow across the summit. Paul went back in after a little while, but I managed to stay out for 45 minutes trying to shoot pictures as the wind buffeted me around. Wind chills were in the -40 range.

_DSC0120.jpg

State Park Has a Quick Conference Before Heading Down

_DSC0142.jpg

Boott Spur

_DSC0156.jpg

Undercast Sunset From Goofer Point 1

_DSC0157.jpg

Undercast Sunset From Goofer Point 2

_DSC0162.jpg

Stage Office

_DSC0169.jpg

Summit Shot

_DSC0185.jpg

Clearing Ice From the Instruments in 70mph Winds

_DSC0192.jpg

I Cooked Brown Sugar Bourbon Steak Tips for Supper Tonight

KDT

This is why I come...

_DSC0218.jpg

Cranberry/Walnut Scones for Tomorrow's Breakfast

_DSC0221.jpg

Valley Fog Below Nelson Crag

_DSC0228.jpg

Mount Adams

_DSC0243.jpg

Tonight's Sunset from Goofer Point

_DSC0251.jpg

Southern Presi Alpenglow

_DSC0260.jpg

Last Light on the Carters, Wildcats and Baldies

_DSC0276.jpg

Taking it In

_DSC0293.jpg

Night-Night!

KDT

Getting any Northern Lights there tonight???? They're expected, and have been seen from Rumney and Conway.

Amazing images Kevin! Hope those scones were even 1/2 as good as they sounded. Enjoy the rest of your week and keep those pictures coming!!

I remember a big article on the installation of that new stove, but can't find it on the Obs website anywhere. Anyone know where it is?

Your post is outstanding. Beautiful pics.
Next best thing to being there. Thanks for sharing! :D

Range, etc.

Una-I had to stop and think for a second, the Wolf Range, isn't that in Montana? OH! The Wolf Range! Yes, it is awesome! 6 burners and huge oven!

Michael- I asked and then searched, but couldn't find the article either.

Maddy- Thank you!

Mark- Like they say @ Nike- Just do it!

KDT

Sunday on the Summit

Seventeen for breakfast, then they were off to hike back down to Pinkham. Paul and Brian went out for a turn on the Eastern Snowfields during the break. When they came back in they told me I had some friends outside. I went out to find Mike C, Marty, Jason B and Paradox, awesome! They hiked up Ammo and bagged Monroe, Washington and Jefferson today! At lunch time we had a group of VIP's on the summit that came up with outreach folks from the MWO, so ten for lunch. Tonight we have 2 extra guests, Sarah Long, weather person for channel 13 in Portland and her cameraman, Dave, so eight for supper.

_DSC0198.jpg

Mah-tay!

_DSC0321.jpg

Heading to the Eastern Snowfields!

_DSC0335.jpg

Marty, Paradox, Jason B and Mike C

_DSC0375.jpg

Another Sunset from Goofer Point

_DSC0381.jpg

The Green Spine at Sunset

_DSC0390.jpg

You May Have Seen Something Similar Recently 8)

_DSC0391.jpg

Mojito Lime Shrimp for Supper!

KDT

Last edited:
Hey Kevin,
Great seeing you yesterday in your Teva sandals on the summit :p What a day! Will be in touch as we discussed.

What a motley crew Paradox, Jason, Mike and I were :rolleyes:

Best regards,
Marty