what do you wear for pants?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sierra

Reaction score
Ive gone through many combo's regarding what to wear for pants and I was curious as to what combonations you guys and gals wear. I basically have two sets I use.
1. Normal temps.(above 20) Midweight capaline underwear under tights.
2. Cold temps. (below 20) Midweight capaline underwear under fleece pants. or expedition weight underwear under tights.
I also carry shell pants but rarely ever use them, I see alot of people in shell pants, is that better then what Im doing?

I use REI taku pants over light, medium, or heavy synth long underwear depending on temps & expected levels of exertion.

The pants are wonderfully comfortable, waterproof, breathable and stretchy -- but the fabric is rather delicate and after four winters they are becoming a patchwork of Tenacious Tape and Seam Grip.

I use REI taku pants over light, medium, or heavy synth long underwear depending on temps & expected levels of exertion.

The pants are wonderfully comfortable, waterproof, breathable and stretchy -- but the fabric is rather delicate and after four winters they are becoming a patchwork of Tenacious Tape and Seam Grip.

Those look good, Im looking at Patagonias guide pants very similiar concept.

I have REI Endeavor convertible pants, and I wear either my thin REI base layer pant or my REI heavy-weight polartec underpant with them depending on how cold it is out. Looking for a slightly more durable pant, I went from the REI Sahara pant in the summer to the endeavor pant in the fall and winter months. The endeavor pant will get wet, for example if you did the black pond bushwhack when its soaked out and the leaves constantly soak your leg. But other than that, these pants stay pretty dry, and even work well for butt-sliding in snow so far. I expect to use them throughout this winter.

I've been looking at the REI Taku pants every time I go in there. They look like nice winter hiking pant, however they seem slightly bulky for non-winter hikes maybe? I suppose I'll have to try them on.

Looking forward to some other responses as well.

slightly bulky for non-winter hikes maybe

Yeah, I'd say so. They're overkill for summer. For rain protection in the warmer months lately I use White Sierra Trabagon pants (<$20 at STP with a coupon, very light, no-frills but effective) that weigh about a third what the Takus do, and take up less than half the space.

About the durability issue -- in fairness, I should point out that 95% of the damage is from ski edges. They resist abrasion pretty well, actually, but not slicing!

Last edited:
Winter hiking - Bob wears Mountain Hardwear Synchro soft shell pants - over 20 no long underwear and no gators - under 20 thin long underwear - under 10 heavier long underwear. Geri does similar but has Outdoor Research Intuition softshell pants.

Notes:
* Different people generate widely different amounts of heat when active--I generate a lot.
* I always wear high gaiters.

Below 20F:
* Military surplus wool pants (wind and water resistant, breathable) over a REI MTS thin polyester long john baselayer. This is my "standard" winter outfit. IIRC I have used an earlier version of this standard outfit on a day with a high of -14F (below timberline).
* If it is a lot colder, I can add fleece side-zip pants and/or shell pants. (This is very rare and they are mostly carried as emergency gear.)

Above 20F:
* From the standard outfit above, I can pull the long johns up above my knees to dissipate more heat. This works up to ~30F.
* I can wear the wool pants without the long johns.
* I can wear my summer nylon zip off pants over the long johns. If I am still too warm, I can drop the pants legs into my gaiters. I did this on Tuesday at a temp in the high 20s using Smartwool long johns (due to rain in the forecast). The wool long johns are a bit warmer than the MTS polyester long johns.

Doug

For warm weather, cotton zipoffs.

For medium weather, army BDU trousers.

For cold weather (<20°F), Australian army surplus woolen trousers.

Can you tell I prefer natural fabrics?

Goretex overpants if there's any chance of wet weather.

20 degrees or more: Ibex Tuck pants, no woolies
20 degrees or less: Ibex Tuck Pants with woolies
http://http://shop.ibex.com/Apparel/Mens-Bottoms/M-Tuck-Pant

In my opinion the best winter shell products available, I have the Equipo jacket and can't say enough good about it. The Tuck pant or it's predecessor is what originally got me interested in Ibex many years ago, but alas could never get away from traditional pants I prefer. I go from office, to forest, to hanging out and don't really ever change into a hiking uniform. Can't stand the swish swish of nylon pants and would rather stay home (but they are often waiting in my pack if required).

Me: Wool Pants if conditions or nature of travel/duration require. Although the sticking snow is of some issue (why I looked at Tuck).

Actually really enjoy Duluth Everyday Work Pant. Cotton twill with a special weave/treatment that is amazingly wind and water resistant and fantastic active cut. I have been pushing them into service in winter with appropriate long john thickness according to conditions, but feel much more confident with wool underwear with this combination since cotton kills.

Underwear tends to be synthetic if wearing wool pant, or a synth/wool blend. The 100% wool or a synth/wool blend if wearing the Duluth pant or other.

Probably not the best advice for technical pursuits.

I have three thicknesses of woolen longjohns and wear them depending on how I feel about the weather. On top go core concepts bibs, or Patagonia shells with suspenders. In the summer I wear shorts our supplex nylon pants with zipoff legs.

For cold weather whiile hiking or snowshoeing I have an old pair of Capilene midweight base layer I wear under a pair of Marmot Precips with full side zips. For just sitting around, a pair of fleece or more likely a pair of GoLite synthetic insulated pants (long out of stock).

Summer: Dickies. I do trailwork mostly and find the cotton (Tsk Tsk I don't care :p) poly blend nice.

Spring /Fall / early winter : Same as above with ibex woolies or Labonville wool pants

Winter: Mammut castor pants or Labonville wool pants.

I have a pair of light summer pants with zips, a heavier pair with zips, a soft shell pant, and 2 weights of water proof outer pants. Judging by the expected conditions, I can wear any of these combinations, but I only carry 2 on any given hike. Last Sunday it might have been time for 3! :eek:

I like these for shell pants. They are roomy enough to wear fleece pants underneath and breathe well so I don't get overheated. They can be easily removed and replaced with my Integral Designs Denali pants in cold weather or Precip pants in rain.

Thxs everyone for your responses, Im going to go softshell ( Patagonia guide pants). It was interesting to see more then one response for wool, nice to see some "old school" hikers out there.