MSR Snowshoe Maintenance Kit

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barbarossa

Reaction score
I replaced the pins that the crampon rotates upon.

It wasn't for sissies. Maybe some of you more evolved apes that are better with tools would have an easier time, but it took me quite a while to get the ring in place to hold the pin.

I can only imagine the frustration of trying to do a field repair.

Small parts, cold fingers, deep snow, improvised tools. The only way it could get better is if you ingested large amounts of alcohol.

Enough of this whining; time to plan a route for tomorrow.

I replaced the pins that the crampon rotates upon.

It wasn't for sissies. Maybe some of you more evolved apes that are better with tools would have an easier time, but it took me quite a while to get the ring in place to hold the pin.

I can only imagine the frustration of trying to do a field repair.

Small parts, cold fingers, deep snow, improvised tools. ...
I concur. I took my MSRs into the local hardware store and found a couple of large steel cotter pins that just fit the holes. I found them easier to place and secure on a temporary basis than the stock pins and ringdings (with my multitool in the comfort of my den.) I'm betting that it work work out better in an emergency.

HI Guys, the same part just broke on my snowshoe today. Is the ONLY option the replacement kit? I just need that stupid pin-part!!!

FWIW - I got them at EMS - I must have the receipt somewhere!!! They are around 2 years old and have had moderate use ;)

Until I fix the snowshoe, I'll be on skis or my old, HUGE sherpas!!!! YIKES - no televators on the sherpas!!!!

Last edited:
That particular part is called a split ring and can be found in packs of a dozen dirt cheap at just about any place that has fishing tackle. You can make installation and removal easier with a pair of split ring pliers, but of course that means adding another tool to your pack. For a temporary fix it sounds like Paradox has a pretty good solution.

Brian

That particular part is called a split ring
Split rings are pretty easy to remove or install if you force a flat screwdriver blade or needle-nose plier (eg leatheman) tip in between the sides of the ring (ie open up the split part). This holds the split open while you rotate the ring through the hole in the pin.

Split rings are also used as key holders--you can get them at most places that duplicate keys (eg hardware stores).

Doug

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Actually, not just the split ring is gone, but, the pivot itself (the little metal cylinder with the hole the split ring goes thru (if I'm describing it correctly). I will try calling MSR!!!!