At least there's truth in advertising

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stash

Reaction score
Disclaimer: I think I try to be positive about most things and I'm posting this because I found it a bit comical. I'm honestly a fan of most things Bean because of their quality and because they certainly stand behind their products.

My wife brought home one of those combination thermometer/barometer/altimeter/otherstuff devices from LL Bean the other day. It had been returned and she picked it up for under a dollar thinking I could use it. I've been meaning to pick up a thermometer anyway so I thought "Great deal!".

Reading through directions, though, I'm thinking it doesn't really fit for winter hiking. Or outside for that matter. But at least they tell you in advance.

• Thermometer measuring range: 14F to 140F
  • Operating temperature: 23F to 122F (see measuring range... ??)
  • Precaution: "Do not subject the device to excessive... direct sunlight for excessive periods."
  • Recalibrate the compass if using the device for the first time, you replace the battery or "If you notice the compass is not showing he direction correctly"

:D:D:D

* Recalibrate the compass if using the device for the first time, you replace the battery or "If you notice the compass is not showing he direction correctly"
This is true for any battery-powered electronic compass (including those on GPSes). The batteries themselves have magnetic fields and the calibration is required to allow the compass to compensate for it.

The rest of the list looks like technical info passed through the lawyers...

Doug

That's awesome :D .... It ought to just say "Don't expect it to actually work." Too damn funny!

With all due respect there's a reference to the character Sheldon Cooper floating here somewhere but I won't go there.. :rolleyes:

This unit it's designed to trigger your outdoorsy impulse, placed somewhere in your residential dwelling, forgotten and thrown away when the plastic looks like crap.please come back and buy it again.:D

[*]Thermometer measuring range: 14F to 140F

[*]Operating temperature: 23F to 122F (see measuring range... ??)

This is funny. Sooooo.....although it may stop working at 23 F it will continue to read down to 14 F?

But it WAS a dollar. :D

This is funny. Sooooo.....although it may stop working at 23 F it will continue to read down to 14 F?

Most likely the part that reads temperature is rated down to 14°F, but the electronics of the display, or possibly even the batteries themselves, are only rated down to 23°F. So each individual range is fact, just not logical when viewed together.

Either that or I'm not as good at making stuff up as I used to be.

I bought one of those "instruments" a while back for a sailing trip. It was laughable how inaccurate it was. I returned it as soon as I returned. Maybe it was the one your wife purchased, Stash?

I have a simple temperature unit I bought at Bean's many years ago. It has a little sensing unit that is placed outside, and uses wireless to beam the readings back to a small unit near a bookshelf. It shows the current inside & outside temps, and pressing a button displays the Min/Max readings as well.

It's a reliable little unit, except ... when it's colder than about the mid-20's outside, and it stops sending until it warms up. So ... it that an issue with the electronics of the unit, or due to that fact that it's powered by a AA alkaline battery? Probably the characteristics of the alkaline battery. I suppose I could put a lithium battery in and see how the results change (or not) based upon the temps, but so far that hasn't risen to a high enough priority level.

I have a simple temperature unit I bought at Bean's many years ago. It has a little sensing unit that is placed outside, and uses wireless to beam the readings back to a small unit near a bookshelf. It shows the current inside & outside temps, and pressing a button displays the Min/Max readings as well.

It's a reliable little unit, except ... when it's colder than about the mid-20's outside, and it stops sending until it warms up. So ... it that an issue with the electronics of the unit, or due to that fact that it's powered by a AA alkaline battery? Probably the characteristics of the alkaline battery. I suppose I could put a lithium battery in and see how the results change (or not) based upon the temps, but so far that hasn't risen to a high enough priority level.
A friend of mine is having similar problems with a similar unit from Bean's. I also suggested that he try a lithium battery. This was just a week ago, so no conclusions yet.

Doug

A friend of mine is having similar problems with a similar unit from Bean's. I also suggested that he try a lithium battery. This was just a week ago, so no conclusions yet.

Doug

Where I live now, in the Eastern Sierra, the temps rarely get much below the teens and quickly warm after sun-up, so it's not much of an issue. Were I living in northern New England though, I'd be more motivated to find a solution.

Where I live now, in the Eastern Sierra, the temps rarely get much below the teens and quickly warm after sun-up, so it's not much of an issue. Were I living in northern New England though, I'd be more motivated to find a solution.
My friend's cabin is in the region N of Plymouth (NH), so the teens and below are pretty common.

Doug

I've got this 'coil' thermometer I bought at a yard sale for 50 cents. It is on the outside of the kitchen window. All we have to do is to make a few steps to go and take a look. :)

I bought one of those "instruments" a while back for a sailing trip. It was laughable how inaccurate it was. I returned it as soon as I returned. Maybe it was the one your wife purchased, Stash?

Could be! But we already got our money's worth in entertainment!

I've got this 'coil' thermometer I bought at a yard sale for 50 cents. It is on the outside of the kitchen window. All we have to do is to make a few steps to go and take a look. :)

SSSteps? As in walk?!?!?! :eek::eek: People actually walk? :eek::eek: You'll need to get a remote camera set up to view it so you won't have to do all that walking!