Snowshoeing the Rainbow Lakes Trail (Colorado), is it considered rolling?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terraunbound

Reaction score
I've had the great fortune to be given a set of LL Bean winter Walker snowshoes for my birthday. But! Before going out and scratching them up, will these be stout enough for treks on trails around Rocky Mountain National Park, such as the Rainbow Lakes trail (near the Mountain Research Station)? I can exchange them for other snowshoes but being a newbie I don't really have a comparison for what is considered 'rolling' 'steep' etc. Given that I tend to go on trails less traveled, I'm thinking an upgrade is in order... any thoughts?

Thanks,
Shell

I've been on that trail in summer and it's not that steep. Most of the trails around RMNP are well graded, lots of switchbacks etc. My Tubbs have a similar crampon built it and they're good up to steep stuff like Ammo ravine above Gem pool.

Good customer service at LL Bean

Thanks for the thoughts Jim. Sliding backwards is one of those dreamtime fears - the cool thing is LL Beans customer service told me to go out and try the shoes and if I didn't like them, send them back. I mentioned that I was afraid I'd scratch them if I field tested them and her reply again was "Not to worry, you need to be satisfied with the shoes. " Can't beat that!