Building an indoor bouldering wall...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nonlegit

Reaction score
Ok, first of all, if this is off topic than go ahead and zap it bagr, i promise i won't cry :(

I am planning on getting into climbing, because i would like to try ice and mixed climbing. So i ran across these instructions on how to build a bouldering wall.

I saw the link on EMS' website on how to build an indoor wall, and this has become my winter project. I am going to do it in my attic, because it is unifinished with the framework exposed. Anyone ever do this, or have any tips. Or want to buy me the 80-pack of holds perhaps?

I built one for my son - It was a bit simpler, but very easy. I used 2 4x8 sheets of plywood 13/16 inches mounted vertically, so he has 8X8 area (he's only 4 years old).

I set up the routes with the plywood leaning against the wall and having him get on a couple of the larger jugs to get an idea of his reach.

Then I mounted 1" pine furring to the walls on all studs (over the drywall) with 3" in lag screws. I then mounted over that, the plywood and used 4 1/2 inch lag bolts right throught the furring and drywall into the studs (4 per stud and the plywood covered 3 studs, for a total of 12 bolts per sheet).

After we moved, I remounted one sheet of Plywood 2 feet off the ground to give him a bit more challenge. (I have a high garage)

I haven't gotten into anything fancier than vertical walls, but the setup holds me and it offers fun for him and the neighbor kids (Guess where all my sleeping pads are when I am not camping??).
I thought about rigging a pulley and some dynamic rope for a harness, but he only climbs when I am there, and I can easily pull him off the wall except at the very top when he "jumps" into my arms.
Hpe this helps a bit. Years ago when I worked at a rock gym, IIRC it was 1" plywood over studs. but it is tough on your wrists setting a lot of holds.
Another thing you can do is mix sand with flat enamel paint to allow for some grit on the walls.
PS See if you can find some old mattresses as well
Good Luck

Yo, Nonlegit, here's a link to Metolius' "how to" section. LINK!! It's what I used when I began construction of my wall a few weeks ago. I've begun with just a campus board about 7.5 feet off the ground at the bottom and 10 feet at the top. I'm planning on adding more above and below and to the sides in the future, but this is what my limited budget would allow for the time being.
The face is 3/4 CDX ply on a 2x4 frame attached to the wall of my garage with 2x6 studs. I got most of the lumber in the scrap bin at home depot, like 59 cents each or something like that. The holds are Franklin Climbing got a 5 pack on clearance at EMS. I'm going to be adding rungs to the right of the holds for campus training.
I'll post some pics later...

good luck,

Josh

"Home Climbing Gyms" by Randy Leavitt takes things into a bit more depth than the info on the EMS or Metolius sites. He focuses on maximizing the climbing intensity for a given space--he recommends against vertical walls and any configuration where you can stem between walls, for example. He also discusses making your own holds. One cost-saving suggestion from his book is to buy blemished holds and touch them up with sandpaper.

I am including a bouldering wall into my home renovation project. For my wife, I'm selling it as providing really good storage space. ;)

Speaking of manufacturing your own holds...
Make your own...

Later!

p.s. Here are a couple of pics of the beginning of the jbrown home woodie. Expansion above and below and to the sides is planned.

Last edited:
hey thats pretty cool! if any of you have gotten the brand new EMS catazine (mine came today in the mail), look for a section that has a write up about this guys indoor gym inside his barn. I want mine to be just like his.

Got the catazine, read that, and oh MAN I would love to have my wall end up like that. Good luck with your project...

I got a box full of unused holds for sale cheap!

If anyone is interested let me know.

My plan was to build a wall on the front of our brick home, but just never found time and it doesn't look like I will..............

Yes, I'm interested, and so is JBrown

Dear Ice-n-Snow and fellow 46er, we are interested in your box of holds. How shall we contasct each other? How many do you have? How much $ are they?

Ps 72:3
The mountains shall bring peace to the people, and the little hills, by righteousness.

Last edited:
I sent JBrown an email.

I will consider selling them. They cost about 149$ on sale a couple of years ago for the starter set from Mountain Gear. I have never unwrapped them and still haven't counted them. They are in a 8"X8" box and seem to be larger size holds, with screws and a bunch of quick draws.

Another thought that crossed my mind would be that I would exchange the holds for a trip to the mountains. What I mean is that if you and JBrown and whoever else would take me to do some rock climbing, I would greatly appreciate it! I am an athletic beginner, but do not have access to climbing partners. I have a rope and asorted other gear. Would that be of any interest to you/JB?

My email is [email protected] or call me at 518-283-7749. If it is easier send my your no. and I can call you. Inge