Bonds Traverse, 2/4/2012 (weather permitting)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
Hike: Bonds Traverse (including Zealand, of course)

Date: February 4, 2012 (weather permitting)

We plan to meet at Lincoln Woods to spot vehicle(s) - early. From there we’ll consolidate gear and head to the trailhead lot on Route 302 in Twin Mountain. Expected on-trail time is 6:00am, or perhaps a little earlier.

Anybody want to join the fun?

We hike a moderate pace, which is around book time or a little more.

If you’re interested in joining the fun or have any questions, please respond to this thread or by PM.

:D

Hmmm....

Nailing the Bonds on my B-day and finally gettin' that monkey off my back...

I might have to join you... Can't commit just yet...

K

If it is a bluebird day, I'll find a way to be there.

What do you think: 22.5 miles, 4000 feet of elevation gain... 13-14 hours?

We will have to meet at Lincoln Woods at 5:00 am for boots on the trail at 6:00 am. Particularly if it is a large group.

If it is a bluebird day, I'll find a way to be there.

What do you think: 22.5 miles, 4000 feet of elevation gain... 13-14 hours?

We will have to meet at Lincoln Woods at 5:00 am for boots on the trail at 6:00 am. Particularly if it is a large group.

I believe the WMG (printed edition) comes in at 23.3 miles, 4350 feet, and just under 14 hours book time.

Sue and I will arrive to Lincoln Woods ~4:30 - 4:45am.

The current long-range forecast doesn't appear to be a bluebird day, but the conditions being predicted are definitely acceptable. And, after tomorrow there is nothing significant predicted through the week - at least from the forecasts I reviewed.

Hope you can make it.

NOAA forecast for Mt Bond This weekend.

Thursday Night: A slight chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 9. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 19.

Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 5.

Saturday: Partly sunny, with a high near 14.

So super tempting, but probably not realistic on my part. :( When I attempt to bag the balance of my winter list next year (The Bonds, Franconia Ridge and a couple of others) I'm sure that there will be 12 foot drifts of snow and that I'll wish that I was dead instead of winter hiking!!!!!:rolleyes:

With my school workload plus the fact that I haven't hiked anything this significant in a long while, it just isn't in the cards. But, I'll be thinking about you all out there and wishing I could be along for the ride ...... Have a fantastic hike! :)

NOAA forecast for Mt Bond This weekend.

Thursday Night: A slight chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 9. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 19.

Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 5.

Saturday: Partly sunny, with a high near 14.
Okay, that's not classic "bluebird" conditions, but still not bad. And, the early wind predictions look pretty good as well.

So, are you planning to join the party?

We'll need to sort out pre/post hike logistics. It would probably be good to get the group identified as soon as we can.

;)

Okay, that's not classic "bluebird" conditions, but still not bad. And, the early wind predictions look pretty good as well.

So, are you planning to join the party?

We'll need to sort out pre/post hike logistics. It would probably be good to get the group identified as soon as we can.

;)

I'll be there unless the winds are going to be 45+ mph.

Okay procrastinators, it’s time to get off the fence on this one. :rolleyes:

Everybody seems comfortable with the forecast for the day and we expect acceptable conditions for the hike.

THE HIKE IS ON!

If you’re a fence-sitter waiting for a last-minute decision, please help out in the planning by making a decision now. We have a good group coming together on this one and don’t need any last-minute fire drills for car spots or anything else.

:D

Here is the NOAA forecast for Bond... Mt. Bond. IDEAL conditions for me.

Friday: A chance of snow showers after 5pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 16. Wind chill values as low as -16. Windy, with a northwest wind between 24 and 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

Friday Night: A chance of snow showers before 7pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 3. Wind chill values as low as -12. Northwest wind between 6 and 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Saturday: Mostly sunny and cold, with a high near 8. Northwest wind around 9 mph.

Saturday Night: A slight chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a low around 8. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Would really like to join you all on this one. I'm not sure if it's the best idea after 3 weeks off from hiking though. The conditions sound perfect...

I would be greatly interested in joining this hike but alas have other plans. However, NEXT winter's a whole nuther ball o' wax and you can't count me in.

Alex and I will be out there on Sat, ahead of the group during the early morning. No doubt you folks will catch up and pass us by (though there's potential for leapfrogging). We look forward to saying hello.

There seems to be a difference in the forecast from MWOBS and other sites. The Franconia Ridge should prove some degree of a buffer, so we might not experience the level of winds that MWOBS is predicting. The last time I did the traverse they were calling for 60+ winds and I didn’t feel anything until the col between Bond and Bondcliff.

There seems to be a difference in the forecast from MWOBS and other sites. The Franconia Ridge should prove some degree of a buffer, so we might not experience the level of winds that MWOBS is predicting. The last time I did the traverse they were calling for 60+ winds and I didn’t feel anything until the col between Bond and Bondcliff.

I've found it difficult and unrealistic to apply the forecast for 6288 to the lower peaks. An elevation difference of ~1000 feet can show a huge difference in conditions.

The NOAA White Mountains Summit Forecast might be more helpful.

You'll be able to get forecast information for elevations from 2500 to 4000 feet, above 4000 feet, and above 5000 feet.

Different people have different preferences. This is one of the forecasts I prefer. There are several that I use together.

;)

Last edited:
When I use NOAA it brings me to the map, with Campton at the center, so how do you get to the page with the text?

Never mind, I found it. I definitely like this forecast better!!!

Last edited:

It's really tough to get through that area (Hellgate) if the winds are from the west -- I stood just steps away last winter contemplating a traverse of that section with winds predicted to be about forty -- quite an incredible sight how the west winds funnel at that point but definately not winds we wanted to put ouselves in with so many more miles to go (s to n) --add in the wind chill warnings for tomorrow and you have a sketchy forecast for Saturday, Sunday is looking better :) - it can suck to lose a day of peakbagging to the winds - don't we all know that one.

Have fun and be safe!

Last edited: